Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:50 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times

Advertisements

Begin Quote
Which new store would you like to see added to Huntsville's retail scene next year?
Trader Joe's 27.22% (2,240 votes)
Whole Foods Market 7.52% (619 votes)
End Quote

Which new store would you like to see added to Huntsville's retail scene in 2014? (poll) | AL.com

Begin Quote
Davis, who said Trader Joe's is currently looking at the Huntsville market, hopes the new Whole Foods store will lead other high-quality retailers to locate to the city. Another healthy, all-natural grocer, Sprouts, is also looking at the Huntsville area, Davis said.
End Quote

Whole Foods Market to anchor new $50M redevelopment project in Huntsville; grocer also opening Mobile store (renderings, updated) | AL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
FYI, Trader Joe's is sort of related to Aldi.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM

224 posts, read 345,825 times
I have decided I am not going to make the drive anywhere to shop at Trader Joes. If we stop driving to them maybe they will come to us.

Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Sprouts and Earth Fare will be more than enough to meet our needs in Huntsville.

I plan to support the businesses that are willing to take a chance on us and stop supporting a company that thinks we need to beg them to come to our city

Old 09-18-2014, 01:39 AM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
When does Sprouts plan on opening? It's going in next to Academy Sports?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
When Trader Joe's opened in Lexington, KY a few years ago I went and was surprised that their stores are kind of small. But they have some good stuff there for sure. I still prefer Whole Foods over TJ's.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:37 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
How is whole foods compared to earth fare?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post

Vastly better.

The Earth Fare is the only one of the new food stores that has shown me zero. I went three or four times and finally noticed how unresponsive management was.

I wanted to buy more of something that they kept running out of and the manager aggressively denied the store ever carried it.
Yes, that was my last visit. There just is no place for that kind of response in a service business.

The prepared food options, such as sushi bar and the grill area are light years beyond EF which basically relies on things like pizza.

WF's bakery is all one needs and the Gelato bar is stunning. I could go on, but go visit and find out.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Gotta post this again (since it's been about a year since I did last time, but we keep talking about Whole Foods)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU

Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Whole Foods offers more selection and a significantly better hot bar/prepared foods section. They also tend to have a great wine selection, bar area, gelato station, and espresso bar. Some more upscale locations such as Green Hills have a full service restaurant bar concept. I noticed management is severely lacking at Earthfare stores as well, might as well be Wal-Mart Grocery. Earthfare's store format is quite a bit dated, kind similar to Wild Oats before they closed. Fresh Market and Whole Foods definitely have better hot and cold food items at roughly the same price. Trader Joes wins on price, they offer organic and natural items at a fraction of the price of Whole Foods, which is why they tend to locate in college towns with major Universities. I am not familiar with Sprouts, but if Huntsville can support Whole Foods, then Trader Joes will definitely be coming soon. Now all Huntsville needs is a J. Alexander's and everything is all set.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:04 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizinva View Post
I have decided I am not going to make the drive anywhere to shop at Trader Joes. If we stop driving to them maybe they will come to us.

Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Sprouts and Earth Fare will be more than enough to meet our needs in Huntsville.

I plan to support the businesses that are willing to take a chance on us and stop supporting a company that thinks we need to beg them to come to our city
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Lemme guess you were okay going to Nash or ATL, but the idea of coming here makes you turn your nose up?

Personally the idea of travelling out of town to buy groceries is insane to me, but the hype around this store is palpable, so I'll calmly wait and see what it is all about when it is open. But stores like this do collect market data. If they see a lot of 47/52 tags out in the parking lot, or swipe a lot of credit/debit cards with addresses from up there, maybe they will hasten along their decision to open another location. They didn't just come here to be one and done in the Magic City for all of Alabama.

Of course, maybe the Mobile and Montgomery people won't see it your way and come to it in far greater numbers and get theirs first.

BTW, cities don't beg - they buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area