Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
My perception of "manageable growth" is "slow" growth or slower growth so I included that. It wasn't meant to be a quote although I know what the quotation marks mean. Anyway, next time I will clarify that my intention is not quoting and then you will have no reason to take it so seriously. I think we're both a little confused about what the other is meaning and it's pointless to go round and round about it.
Of course you are correct.
I would like to ask , what is your interpretation of 'sustainable growth'?

This calls into play the fact that having a common language no longer helps us communicate as we once did. I'm thinking that is because everyone has become a standard bearer/expert/anarchist , what have you. These days, people even flip sides in the middle of arguments. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,664 times
Haha! You made me laugh because I have to admit that I often argue just because I enjoy it. Not in a hateful sense but in what I consider healthy debate. However, to argue on a matter, it doesn't even have to be something I am passionate about. I am known to often switch sides in an argument because I tend to always see both sides. Anyway, that isn't true in this forum because I do feel passionate about Birmingham.

My interpretation of sustainable growth is kind of what I mentioned before. Not letting the supply get ahead of the demand. Building is only a product of growth, it doesn't create growth and it isn't growth on its own. "Build it and they will come" isn't a sound business practice although it sounds great in theory. Mayor Langford would have been the most successful mayor in world history if this were the case... With his grandiose plans of cruise ship terminals, Olympics, etc.

I think it's exciting to see rapid growth but doesn't always work out. I like where we are in our current state of growth (for the most part.) Anymore apartment building plans announced, we would have been bordering on unrealistic.

What I am hoping we'll continue to see is more of the support for that... More of the stuff like the steam plant plans, rotary trail, light rails, and, yes, drastic transit improvement.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,916 times
Yellow Cab in Birmingham has **** poor customer service. They no longer have a local dispatcher who knows the city: they area all outsourced to some other state and 50% of the time will hang up in your face. I have a coworker that is without a car and has to use their service. It takes her almost 2 hours to get home dealing with their BS.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:09 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I have used Uber about 10 times in recent months (I don't need to anymore)
At first I was pleased that their prices are half as much as any taxi service....
BUT....their drivers are never American, & some of their service is very unprofessional.
2 of the drivers wound up asking me out- one turned into a stalker.
The last time I tried to use Uber I was actually downtown (Chi-town)
The driver was supposed to pick me up from a particular location.
When I didn't see his vehicle, I called him (they provide a number)
He started yelling at me, so I told him since he was so unprofessional- I would not be using his services.
He charged my credit card anyways!!!
I immediately disputed it-- but from now on NO MORE UBER

Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Why are 21-34 year olds so opposed to picking up a phone and/or hailing a cab from the street? OR, if not opposed, so much more enamored with using their smartphones SO MUCH that they would automatically pick this service over a traditional cab? I'm guessing the answer is just that. Using an ap is cool and the old way is just old.

I get how this service is "working" and operating in other larger cities with more public transportation options, but is this city ready to unleash what is obviously a big threat to the profitability of conventional cab companies - loose in the market? There aren't that many fares to chase, it would be different, I think if DT was as thick and vibrant as we want it to be - that we are heading towards, but I just don't think the regular cabs can survive the hit when it is obvious Uber has less overhead and doesn't have to play by the rules.

in my experience uber has been faster and cheaper than traditional cabs. on a busy night, it may take a cab company 30 minutes or longer to get to me. with uber, i've never waited more than 10 before someone picked me up.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM

Hopefully this is some great news for we Uber fans in Birmingham. I was in San Antonio last weekend. They recently ran Uber out of town. I called the cab company the morning of my flight and gave them 2 and a half hours before my flight. I ended up at the airport 30 minutes before my flight and almost missed boarding. Thank God for mobile check in now or else I wouldn't have made it. Just another horror story of using cabs in cities like ours.

I used Uber in Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta also in the past month and had a car at my place in 5 minutes. Had a nice peaceful rest at the airport before my flights.

Birmingham leaders cry foul over legislation to place Uber, app companies under state control | AL.com

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM

106 posts, read 161,954 times
Uber's functionality is breathtaking. Its business policy, not so much. Devious lil company that wants regulatory exemption to protect their bottom line, all while exposing numerous parties to various liabilities that regulations are meant to protect against.

App is a thing of beauty though. However, they need to start conceding (or at least be amenable) to municipal demands. All of Uber's revenue dreams will come true if they just learn to play along. The regulatory fees they attempt to skirt would be made up with increased market presence, so shame on them for being so stubborn.

Cab companies should be working on Uber-esque apps pronto.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM

I don't think it would work as well for cab companies. I mean, it would be nice to track your cab but it's much easier to sign up as a driver for Uber. You will never have as many drivers available in your area with a taxi service. Can drivers are also not held to the same standard as Uber drivers so they still wouldn't be as friendly or as clean. Can drivers could also stop and pick someone else up at any point along the way. Uber drivers can't do that.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:38 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
the whole cab business model would need to change. set your own hours. work when it is convenient (and most profitable) for you. it could happen, but it will take more than just an app.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
the whole cab business model would need to change. set your own hours. work when it is convenient (and most profitable) for you. it could happen, but it will take more than just an app.
Agreed! That's what I should have said instead of typing paragraphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area