Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,734,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Ok. But, being a slightly bigger TV market doesn't really add to your point about Chicago schools. At all. Clearly, college football isn't big in Chicago.
And what point do you think I was trying to make about Chicago schools? Loyola and Depaul don't even have football programs that I know of... and if they do, it certainly isn't FBS or even FCS.

Chicago is a much bigger TV market than Birmingham. It is a slightly bigger college football market than Birmingham.

You say college football clearly isn't big in Chicago. I say there are more college football fans in Chicago than Birmingham.

And what point was I making about Chicago schools? I was merely pointing out that they are in a bigger market than Birmingham (they are). They also have an advantage over a school like UAB in that if they ever were to start football programs and begin having success, they would have a base of millions more people to allure as new fans. It would be a tough sell, but they'd at least have a chance to reach new fans whereas UAB really can't because the market is college football saturated.

Raj and Tourian can act like I do nothing but negative posts, but I'm just posting facts and living in a realistic world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,863,471 times
Edit

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 01-19-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 12:18 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,658,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Raj and Tourian can act like I do nothing but negative posts, but I'm just posting facts and living in a realistic world.
Gosh, I didn't know the link I posted was unrealistic and not factual or apropos. My apologies again. I'll make sure I bring it up at the next Birmingham city council meeting...or Chamber of Commerce, whichever or both of those I serve on.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Gosh, I didn't know the link I posted was unrealistic and not factual or apropos. My apologies again. I'll make sure I bring it up at the next Birmingham city council meeting...or Chamber of Commerce, whichever or both of those I serve on.
you said birmingham was the biggest college football tv market in the country. that is a flat out incorrect statement.

college football in birmingham gets the highest market share of any market in the country but the pie that it is coming from is dwarfed by pies in chicago, new york, dallas, etc. such that those college football markets are still bigger.

you can eat half of a personal 7" pizza and i can eat 1/6th of a extra large 21" pizza and guess what? i ate more pizza even though you had a bigger share of your pizza. do you see how this works?

everybody who is objective knows i am right and that you are spinning things to make birmingham look better or more important than it is. but that's nothing new.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
you said birmingham was the biggest college football tv market in the country. that is a flat out incorrect statement.
Dude, I get it. Which is why I cam back to clarify. But when you tried to counter with Chicago being a larger market in general, it is pretty obvious you had no clue what I meant to begin with. Nobody thinks that Birmingham is a bigger market then Chicago or New York.

Quote:
everybody who is objective knows i am right and that you are spinning things to make birmingham look better or more important than it is. but that's nothing new.
No. I'm just having a discussion about UAB football and claim that Birmingham is a big market for college football. We watch more of it then any other TV market. It ranks higher then any other market for TV ratings. So therefore it is #1 overall other markets. I know you need to deliberate things that I say as if I need to prove my right to speak, participate here or somehow pass muster in your eyes.

I do not. But ok bro, you won - you put me in my place. Chicago is bigger than Birmingham. I would've fooled everybody had you not come along. The forum is real lucky to have you around.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 PM

What a shocker...

Study: UAB decision to drop football was 'ill-advised' from financial perspective - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
A new report from OSKR, the firm originally selected by the UAB Athletics Task Force to review the CarrSports Report, came to the conclusion that UAB will be worse off financially without the football, bowling and rifle programs. It also concluded that no additional funding is needed for the sports to be profitable.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,429,635 times
More to life than just football, never mind this is Alabama.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM

UAB boosters literally paid for that report. Hardly surprising those were the results the firm found.

It's pretty simple, really. People weren't going to the games. The program was not profitable. The University decided it was not worth investing tens of millions in facilities to give the program a realistic chance at turning that around.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 PM

3 key reasons why UAB erred in dropping sports, according to OSKR report | AL.com

Quote:
OSKR, the firm initially selected by UAB's Athletics Assessment Task Force, determined that the three disbanded sports returned a $75,000 positive return based on the 2013-14 financial data. It believes the football program could generate from $500,000 to $2.2 million in annual profits.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM

302 posts, read 332,023 times
Quote:
UAB boosters literally paid for that report. Hardly surprising those were the results the firm found.

It's pretty simple, really. People weren't going to the games. The program was not profitable. The University decided it was not worth investing tens of millions in facilities to give the program a realistic chance at turning that around.
Attendance was actually third highest in the state and fifth overall (IIRC) out of CUSA. Board of Trustees hamstrung the program (and other departments of UAB for that matter) repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area