Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 AM

51 posts, read 98,927 times

Advertisements

I have posted a few times recently asking opinions on a couple different neighborhoods where I'm considering buying a house. Initially, I ruled out Cahaba Heights because of its location off 280. When I last lived in Bham (2005), the traffic on 280 was unbearable. I assume that hasn't changed.

But...I'm wondering if CH's location on 280 (north-ish?technically i think it's west 280 but you know what i mean - toward downtown instead of Inverness) means that CH residents can avoid the problem areas of 280? Or is this wishful thinking? Basically, I'm looking for someone to shoot straight about how much of a pain it will be to get in and out of CH. We will mostly be heading toward downtown and 459.

I will not want to suffer 280 traffic in order to get anywhere, so if this will be the case, I'll pass on CH and go back to looking at Bluff Park.

Many thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
They have removed some lights and eliminated a lot of left turns by installing "Michigan lefts." It has gotten better. But it is still a challenge. You probably just need to visit early one morning, hang out in your car in the neighborhood you want to live and try the morning commute as a citizen. It is the only real way to know what it is like and what you think of it.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:14 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
To me, some of the worst traffic on 280 is usually around Cahaba Heights in the morning and afternoon. I used to go to Whole Foods for meetings pretty regularly, and that seemed like the worst leg. Although, I can't imagine Bluff Park being much better in the morning if you're traveling Lakeshore or Oxmoor to ger downtown.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Actually, I'll eat crow. Two years ago, they began tinkering with the signals and lanes on 280 and I complained about it. But the traffic situation has become palpably better down 280 all the way to 459. So that means it's not bad at all at Cahaba Heights, but past 459 hasn't seen much improvement at all.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:05 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times
Cahaba Heights is not so bad. Don't make left turns at Whole Foods, better to go left onto Overton. I don't really find a problem making a left through the Summit either. (the light at WF is just longer and then the road reduces to two lanes immediately)

Also, there are two or three very convenient ways to go through Mountain Brook and stay off US280 altogether, if you care to know about these let me know. I'm near Crosshaven and Overton so I use these alternatives a lot with very little traffic even at rush hour.
In addition, the connection to I-459 from Liberty PKWY is a great alternative to using the interchange at the Summit. US280 is most literally worse from the Summit, south/east, and promised to get worse with the addition of Grandview Medical later this year.

When I head toward DT I usually do go down Greenvalley by the WF, the right lane always has a merge/green. The traffic is thick at this point but thins quickly now that there are no major lights in bound. Also they have made the entry ramp to E.S. Red Mtn. Expressway a double ramp so it does not clog easily anymore.

I like both areas of town very much, but if you get to know them well, you will find that Cahaba Heights has more alternatives than Bluff Park, and we have more shopping/commercial options without the intense traffic in Hoover.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I'll eat crow. Two years ago, they began tinkering with the signals and lanes on 280 and I complained about it. But the traffic situation has become palpably better down 280 all the way to 459. So that means it's not bad at all at Cahaba Heights, but past 459 hasn't seen much improvement at all.
I remember your bitterness well, and I have admired you for acknowledging the improvement to traffic flow. Not to mention, I personally believe the changes have made people more alert and cautious in their approach to driving this area. It did not make great demands on drivers for the amount of improvement we got. (a plus could be that people in the area won't be so kneejerk against every possible change that inevitibly will come over time) Of course human nature leans toward the negative.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
Not to get off subject, but I'm hoping they'll add an additional exit on 459 with a flyover that somehow connects to the hostpital or makes it easier to get there. I can only imagine what kind of nightmare it will be for emergency vehicles trying to get through there.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Not to get off subject, but I'm hoping they'll add an additional exit on 459 with a flyover that somehow connects to the hostpital or makes it easier to get there. I can only imagine what kind of nightmare it will be for emergency vehicles trying to get through there.
That interchange has a design and that includes two new flyovers. The last article I read about it lead me to believe it that the first flyover would be under construction within the next two years. It was delayed ten years. But one never knows. There are so many really large interstate projects in Birmingham now and coming that they just can't spend all the money in Birmingham at once. (unfortunately) Especially considering we are the crossroads of the state and locals are not really the ones wearing ours out. Almost no eighteen wheeler enters the state without passing through Birmingahm. Of course the rest of the state's residents don't quite understand that.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
The worst of 280 traffic is beyond Cahaba Heights. It really only gets super nasty between the Summit and 119. I think the commute time from Cahaba Heights to downtown is less than the national average and metro area average.

The traffic changes to 280 have improved flow. Not drastically, but definitely noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area