Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times

Advertisements

It isn't a dome. It is a multi use facility. For me, dome is just quicker and easier to say or most times I'll put it in quotes but the project has long outgrown that word. The ignorant still call it that because well because they are ignorant.

When they do build it, it will be billed as a multi use facility, hall or arena but not dome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,063,630 times
But Tourian, there are those, even on the thread who insist that we "WE GIVE UP". And they are the same ones who complain about local progress.

This is the source of all the delay. People who can't agree on what it is, and what to call it. It is all so foolish.
It is difficult for me to understand the inablility to form a plan and focus on it. I especially find it amusing that these same people want to build a football stadium on a campus that has no football. And yet they claim to have all the answers.

Don't get bogged down in such discussions.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:59 PM

446 posts, read 673,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Birmingham already hosts an ESPN bowl game. There has been talk of doing an SEC kickoff classic game as well.

That's just football.

The main point of the facility is to host events that are outgrowing or have outgrown the BJCC. The "dome" will be a multi use facility. Football will be one of its many uses and not its main use.
gotcha that SEC kickoff classic would cool in general and multi use facility would be cool also

Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,859,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
But Tourian, there are those, even on the thread who insist that we "WE GIVE UP". And they are the same ones who complain about local progress.

This is the source of all the delay. People who can't agree on what it is, and what to call it. It is all so foolish.
It is difficult for me to understand the inablility to form a plan and focus on it. I especially find it amusing that these same people want to build a football stadium on a campus that has no football. And yet they claim to have all the answers.

Don't get bogged down in such discussions.
I never said I had all the answers. I don't claim to be a know it all like you seemed to want to be. I'll stand by my opinion that waiting 20-30 years for this particular project to materialize is idiotic.

Furthermore I'm well aware that UAB doesn't have a football program smartass, but if you actually read my post I did say build an outdoor stadium to replace Legion Field near the UAB campus and Regions Field. I don't know how much more clear I could of been.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:17 AM

'have been', not 'of been'.

Not just for you but for all the thousands of others on the internet that are clueless about this.

"If one can't say what one means, one can't mean what one says". (tutor of the last emperor of the Chen Dynasty)

Forgive me. I know correcting any aspect of one's language on the internet is not good manners, but I have become fearful that we are becoming illiterate by practice.
Of course we all make typos, but I have become aware through constant use that people do not know the correct conjugated expression and its inaccuracy takes away from the intended message.

BTW; this 'smartass' appreciates your posts whether they make sense or not. (good thing, huh?)

Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM

522 posts, read 839,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Last year was a wild ride... and a very exciting one at that. There were so many new things announced or started. But, as I look around, there's obviously room for plenty more and the demand will be there once these projects are completed. I was at Railroad Park today admiring how beautiful the district is and what a great place it will be to live for those at LIV and Venue. However, there are still a lot of blank spaces. We've gotten a lot of what we hoped for. The grcoery store, the baseball stadium, more green space is coming and whatever amazing plans they have for Powell Steam Plant. In anticipation of the completion of all this stuff this year, what are we hoping for next?

My list:
1. UAB brings football back and announces a stadium where it was previously planned.
2. New Public Transit Option (At least an announcement of BRT or LRT)
3. Dome Stadium Announcement (this year. Obvious one.)
4. Shopping in downtown. (Is that too far away? I'm hoping for an extension of Uptown with some retail.)
5. More flights at the airport.
6. A new hotel. 4 star.
This list is good, but I would like to add some form of mixed use for Southtown, and more development for Highland Ave on both ends. Before people get their feelings hurt about displacing the residents of Southtown, I say part of a redevelopment of the property be designignated for residential for the elderly, while the younger one's either pay the rent for new apartments in the development or find another place to reside. Five Points South end needs more residential buildings to bring more foot activity towards the Five Points South commercial district. On the Forest Park end, clean up the current residential mix, to more modern living spaces.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM

247 posts, read 1,111,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Do you know how long it took to build the Brooklyn Bridge? So if you had been in charge it would be unfinished to this day.

Commitment is a virtue, not a weakness. Great achievement is hardly ever the by-product of compromise.
Being a native of Tuscaloosa I can tell you that a city block was bulldozed in the early 1980's with plans for a hotel and civic center. Still no civic center but after more than 30 years they finally have a spanking new Embassy Suites.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
This list is good, but I would like to add some form of mixed use for Southtown, and more development for Highland Ave on both ends. Before people get their feelings hurt about displacing the residents of Southtown, I say part of a redevelopment of the property be designignated for residential for the elderly, while the younger one's either pay the rent for new apartments in the development or find another place to reside. Five Points South end needs more residential buildings to bring more foot activity towards the Five Points South commercial district. On the Forest Park end, clean up the current residential mix, to more modern living spaces.
Well, it's going to happen some time - you would think. They are now building up and around it until eventually the demand for that space is going to reach the tipping point.

There's got to be a mid/high rise HUD project on somebody's drawing board somewhere.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:23 PM

779 posts, read 1,002,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Good one! I forgot about Southtown. Demolishing that and adding something with less problems there would have a big domino effect. Currently, there are several pieces of property around there that are pretty much undesirable. A few apartment buildings, some old commercial space, etc. I think those remaining few blocks would be cleaned up and there wouldn't really be any "bad parts" of the southside anymore.

I also agree that Five Points needs more... But maybe hotels instead of more residential? At least right in the middle of Five Points. I haven't seen anymore action on the Homewood Suites that was supposed to have been started in the spring last year.

The new Highland Project will add to this once it's completed. I also would like to see Highland build out some more residential buildings and hopefully demolish all of that crap that was built in the 60's and 70s.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM

The Highland Tower has draped off the property and started removing paving. Slowly but surely this will become a very active construction site anyday now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area