Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Oh, wait..Lipscomb does have police, 10 officers... and there's trouble on the force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 AM

So pathetic.

Brighton police still without squad cars | Local News - WVTM

Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 PM

They made it couple of more months than Mayor Coachman initially projected...but it looks like time is just about up and all the money is gone.

Water Works threatens to shut off water to city of Fairfield | AL.com

Quote:
Troubled Fairfield, struggling to make payroll and already facing shutdown of bus service, may see water turned off at city offices.
An email from Birmingham Water Works officials, obtained by AL.com, says Fairfield has accumulated more than $128,000 in overdue water bills at 17 city addresses.
Coachman said the city will likely have to file for bankruptcy, but has hired lawyer Alton Parker to help sort through the money problems. But that is an additional expense, too.
""It is hard," he said. "It gets harder every day."
Asked if it was time to simply give up and dissolve the city, Coachman said "I'm the captain of this ship and I'm not going to jump overboard. Not until we've exhausted everything."

Old 05-31-2016, 11:53 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
"Exhausting everything" is a poor choice of words. I hope on the brighter side he is also meeting with people that can help determine a future course. And I hope that has included the will to see if Birmingham can see a course going forward. In this county of 35 plus cities, even combining just two could be a starting point for those other cities whose pride may not be worth the cost of standing alone when they have so much in common with the core city.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
"Exhausting everything" is a poor choice of words. I hope on the brighter side he is also meeting with people that can help determine a future course. And I hope that has included the will to see if Birmingham can see a course going forward. In this county of 35 plus cities, even combining just two could be a starting point for those other cities whose pride may not be worth the cost of standing alone when they have so much in common with the core city.
Indeed. I thought I heard this morning they only have about 900 dollars in the city's bank account and none of the workers have been paid yet. I'd say everything has been exhausted as far as remaining a city is concerned.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:20 PM

32 posts, read 29,130 times
It's a terrible situation. With $128k owed you can see why the water works has to cut the water off... but it still does nothing but make the situation worse.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 AM

I had heard that Birmingham was going to help them pay the water bill as well as the buses but I'm not quite sure how that translates into paying "franchise fees"

Fairfield councilors question mayor over city's problems, mayor said water will not be shut off | AL.com

Quote:
Councilor Gloria Matthews questioned the mayor: "Do you have a plan in place to save our city?"

He responded, "I don't understand your question."

Ummm, what?

Quote:
Tonight, Coachman said that the city has reached an agreement with the Water Works and the water will not be cut off. He said that the city has reached an agreement with the Water Works board, and the city will pay "franchise fees" to keep its water.
"We have a good working relationship with the Water Works... we will have water," Coachman added.

"Reality is reality," Coachman said about the fact Fairfield might have to file bankruptcy or face a merger. He said he isn't sure which option is the best choice for the city right now.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:04 AM

So Brighton is back in the news for not being able to pay the bills.
City councilors walk out on Brighton mayor as city faces financial crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area