Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:44 AM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Isn't that new condo project on the beach supposed to be the tallest in the state when finished?
Both condo towers will be the 2nd and 4th and sense Torian put it that way a very tall high rise would stick out in a sea of midrises in bham.

Last edited by PortCity; 03-24-2015 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
There is two and if both were completed, they would be 2nd and 4th at 469 and 449 respectively.

In my opinion, I think it'd be ideal for Birmingham to just keep the focus on downtown as far as skyscrapers. Bham has density downtown but it'd be nice to see more density in terms of skyscrapers. I'd rather have five 400 footers than two 1000 footers. Look at our skyline in Mobile and see how the RSA tower sticks out. I'd rather have it cut in half and have two 375 footers. Having the title of the tallest is cool but not that important unless you have a bunch around the same height.
I think the 700 footer fits in with the cluster of buildings to the east of downtown but we need a couple of 300 footers to the west of the skyline to fill in the gap.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think the 700 footer fits in with the cluster of buildings to the east of downtown but we need a couple of 300 footers to the west of the skyline to fill in the gap.
I could see that working. Both Mobile and Birmingham need to grow in terms of our skylines. Residential could make these ideas possible. Just 3-400 units will rise up 3-400 feet. Birmingham is said to be building 2,500 units downtown, that's eight 300 hundred footers. That would be look nice. Same for us, we need residential, as the chance of another office tower is slim although maybe with the companies coming for Airbus, we could cram all into one more tower.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
We still have a couple of more old towers to light back up. When the TJ and the Pizitz are back on, our skyline will improve some just by adding light, even though these are a lot shorter then what we have been talking about. Right now, I'd be quite happy with just more light and every old building lit - and no, not with hobo fires or hanks, just lit up occupancy and activity.

For instance, the Florentine looks so good - it was originally supposed to be taller, but that's ok. I just love this shot of it.

http://imgick.al.com/home/bama-media...b19335beaf.jpg

Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
We still have a couple of more old towers to light back up. When the TJ and the Pizitz are back on, our skyline will improve soom just by adding light, even though these are a lot shorter then what we have been talking about. Right now, I'd be quite happy with just more light and every old building lit - and no, not with hobo fires or hanks, just lit up.

For instance, the Florentine looks so good - it was originally supposed to be taller, but that's ok. I just love this shot of it.

http://imgick.al.com/home/bama-media...b19335beaf.jpg

I have always been a fan of the Florentine and I wish it was taller but it's just as majestic just the way it is. Mobile's Beux Art building the Van Antwerp is being restored to it's formal glory as well. Bham's cluster of Beux Art (Heaviest Corner ) on earth are all being renovated and lit ?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM

522 posts, read 846,183 times
The Florentine Building is definitely a beautiful building. I too want to see all of the older buildings restored, and lit up.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I have always been a fan of the Florentine and I wish it was taller but it's just as majestic just the way it is. Mobile's Beux Art building the Van Antwerp is being restored to it's formal glory as well. Bham's cluster of Beux Art (Heaviest Corner ) on earth are all being renovated and lit ?
Last I heard, Marriott was looking at the Empire. The City Federal is restored and has residential space.
The John A Hand and Brown-Marx are sold to investors and still pending plans I think.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM

121 posts, read 164,207 times
A highrise midtown bham will look awesome , Bham seriously needs to fill in that gap.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:33 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
A highrise midtown bham will look awesome , Bham seriously needs to fill in that gap.
there are no high rises planned in midtown birmingham, or anywhere else in the birmingham area.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
there are no high rises planned in midtown birmingham, or anywhere else in the birmingham area.
Highland tower, 15 stories, is under construction.

But, I'm sure you have your own personal definition for high-rise.

Quote:
Emporis Standards defines a high-rise as "A multi-story structure between 35–100 meters tall, or a building of unknown height from 12–39 floors."
According to the building code of Hyderabad, India, a high-rise building is one with four floors or more, or one 15 meters or more in height.
The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary defines a high-rise as "a building having many storeys".
The International Conference on Fire Safety in High-Rise Buildings defined a high-rise as "any structure where the height can have a serious impact on evacuation"
In the U.S., the National Fire Protection Association defines a high-rise as being higher than 75 feet (23 meters), or about 7 stories.
Most building engineers, inspectors, architects and similar professions define a high-rise as a building that is at least 75 feet (23 m) tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area