Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:11 PM

163 posts, read 297,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Memphis' metro has 1.3M, compared to your 1.1M. That's rather impressive for a metro with a small central city population. Memphis proper is about 650K. B'ham is about 210K. Add 400K and you all would be over 1.5.
2013 CSA listings: Memphis and Birmingham right next to each other in the list at 1.3 M ; Memphis just a tad more 1.3 M than BHM's 1.3 M

Combined Statistical Area Listings

Carpe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,263 times
41 Memphis-Forrest City, TN-MS-AR Combined Statistical Area 2013-1,369,006 2010-1,353,087 +1.18%
42 Birmingham-Hoover-Talladega, AL Combined Statistical Area 2013-1,313,105 2010-1,302,283 +0.83%

Even lowly Memphis had a higher growth rate in the 3 years. It will be 100 years at this rate before Bham reaches 2 million, if then.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:18 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
There is a very good chance the Tuscaloosa, Gadsden and perhaps Anniston micropolitan areas will be added once the next big census rolls around which should bring the CSA up to around 1.7M. The core city showed a slight uptick this last year. I would think 2.0M would happen within the next 12-15 years.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:37 PM

163 posts, read 297,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
There is a very good chance the Tuscaloosa, Gadsden and perhaps Anniston micropolitan areas will be added once the next big census rolls around which should bring the CSA up to around 1.7M. The core city showed a slight uptick this last year. I would think 2.0M would happen within the next 12-15 years.
That's encouraging for BHM. I know that Charlotte and Nashville's growth is off the chart compared to BHMs, but kinda discouraging to see their CSA's jump seemingly 400 K at a time at least once over the last 10 years from the same sorta consolidation.

Carpe

Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 AM

121 posts, read 164,412 times
Tourian , I was curious about that ; you really think Tuscaloosa will join BHAMs metro ? 1.7 million would be awesome at this giving time considering all the projects an developments going on around BHAM an downtown. Plus I Think I22 will help Growth an Sprawl in Jeffco. You may think I'm out of it but I just see BHAM being in the media, economically an so forth soon. I can see BHAM getting on the Nashville, Atlanta Level in a good bit.

2020 :
Atlanta
Nashville
Birmingham
Memphis TN
Jacksonville Fl

Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 AM

446 posts, read 678,526 times
if it adds anniston/gadsen and T-Town will probably bring it close to 2 million. the Charlotte Atlanta BHam megalopolis is happening everywhere. includes memphis nashville chatt-town and other cities. It was 2 studies done by GaTech and VTech. Its call the Piedmont Atlantic Mega. the Gulf coast has 1 stretching from Tallahassee to Houston but Houston appears with the texas triangle also. Also other area of the country got studied also like Boston to DMV area

Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
LOL hahahaahahaha all the talk about Atlanta will lose companies because of traffic issues to BHAM. How long has that talk been happening now i think since i was in high school in 2000s. Yea traffic messed up but its messed up in other cities/metro areas also. atlanta is a city with 450,000+ in the city and 5.3 million in metro and 6.1 million in the CSA. Atlanta metro region covers many counties/cities but its 5 core counties is what helps atlanta be atlanta. traffic will always be an issue everywhere so stop with the traffic talk with BHAM vs Atlanta and find another reason why companies will leave Atlanta for BHAM....side note MARTA has extended into Clayton County and a proposed 3-5 train stations and routes have been determined. Gwinnett will probably be next with MARTA and then Cobb also they looking to extend the north line by 2-3 train stations. BHAM wants to take some companies away from Atlanta it better get on the roll with public transportation
Nobody said anything about Atlanta losing companies due to traffic issues. Dunno where you came up with that. Also, MARTA has been approved in Clayton, but buses haven't even started rolling down there yet, so I wouldn't quite go so far as to say they HAVE extended. They WILL.

I can certainly agree with you regarding transit. Birmingham already has buses, but the city, IMO, would be on another level with rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
41 Memphis-Forrest City, TN-MS-AR Combined Statistical Area 2013-1,369,006 2010-1,353,087 +1.18%
42 Birmingham-Hoover-Talladega, AL Combined Statistical Area 2013-1,313,105 2010-1,302,283 +0.83%

Even lowly Memphis had a higher growth rate in the 3 years. It will be 100 years at this rate before Bham reaches 2 million, if then.
That is assuming the rates will remain the same for that amount of time. Currently, Birmingham proper is experiencing much needed growth so I can see that growth rate rising above Memphis easily and soon.. if it hasn't already happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm skeptical of Tuscaloosa being added as they're experiencing growth on their own. The borders are quite close and growth is and has been occuring between, but that is still a big question mark in my opinion regarding it being added to Birmingham stats.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:04 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'm skeptical of Tuscaloosa being added as they're experiencing growth on their own. The borders are quite close and growth is and has been occuring between, but that is still a big question mark in my opinion regarding it being added to Birmingham stats.
The OMB does as it does so it really doesn't matter what our opinions are but why skeptical? From a practical standpoint it is the only county that is adjacent to Jefferson that isn't part of the metro yet. There is a major interstate corridor and it doesn't matter which way commuters go towards the necessary percentage. The borders aren't just "close" they are shared and Mercedes has triggered more growth between the two.

Last edited by Tourian; 03-12-2015 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 08:05 AM

187 posts, read 214,619 times
I disagree with including Tuscaloosa, Cullman, and/or Anniston in Bhams population. I don't consider those part of Bham's metro at all but that's just my opinion because they're very separate, not connected, and it's not reasonable to call them the same metro. So if Cullman booms, I don't really feel it in Bham; it doesn't make Bham a "big city".

However, can its metro reach 2m? Sure, as long as all the development downtown works and brings people and jobs. The problem is we need good jobs down there. That could happen after Bham builds the infrastructure downtown to attract new businesses.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM

121 posts, read 164,412 times
B HAM is already a BIGGG city . Getting Bigger the Right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area