Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Reputation: 10120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Have you ever been to Memphis? It has a lot more in common with Mississippi than the rest of TN. Demographics, geography, etc. And there are probably as many or more Ole Miss alumni in Memphis than there are UT. Some people affectionately refer to Memphis as "the capital of North Mississippi". I can't speak to whether Memphis gets the shaft when it comes to economic development, but I do know that Nashville isn't the only place that good things happen in TN. I mentioned the VW plant in Chattanooga. And little old Decherd, TN in Franklin County is home to a large Nissan plant, and it was there before Nissan moved their headquarters to Franklin (the town, in Williamson Co).
It was no accident that I said Memphis probably feels like its in Mississippi. Tennessee is a big state with lots of people and lots of resources (money). They can afford to spread it around some and still keep Nashville as its #1 son and accidentally forget Memphis is in the state.

Quote:
Just as Memphis has more in common with Miss. than TN, I think HSV/Madison has a lot more in common with TN than much of Alabama. Lord knows we have plenty of commuters from TN who work here!
Yes, most of us here are well aware that the Huntsville area thinks it is better than Alabama and would like to forget it is a part of it. The simple fact that you guys tout the area as the "Tennessee Valley" and the phrase "Northern Alabama" is never uttered or considered proper is testament to me.

Quote:
Where do you think the state of AL concentrates its economic efforts, since BHAM gets the short end of the stick? T
I already said, Madison Co gets the most love these days - unless it just gets squirreled away by graft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,614 posts, read 2,300,367 times
Reputation: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, most of us here are well aware that the Huntsville area thinks it is better than Alabama and would like to forget it is a part of it. The simple fact that you guys tout the area as the "Tennessee Valley" and the phrase "Northern Alabama" is never uttered or considered proper is testament to me.
I didn't know this is a feeling that the rest of the state has against the HSV area. I've only lived in AL for 3 years, and those 3 years have been spent in Madison.

I thought this area was called the TN Valley because of, hello, the TN River! We're in the TN River Valley, as is the Shoals area, but you didn't lump them in with HSV as thinking they are "better", even though they called themselves the TN Valley as well.

Large portions of Kentucky are called the Ohio Valley because it's in the Ohio River Valley. Not because they long to be part of Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,614 posts, read 2,300,367 times
Reputation: 1656
Actually, as an "outsider" moving into Alabama, I get the feeling that Tuscaloosa is the golden child of the state. That's how it appears to me. Maybe not in an economic development sense, but it does feel like the whole state revolved around UofA and Tuscaloosa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Reputation: 10120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I didn't know this is a feeling that the rest of the state has against the HSV area. I've only lived in AL for 3 years, and those 3 years have been spent in Madison.

I thought this area was called the TN Valley because of, hello, the TN River! We're in the TN River Valley, as is the Shoals area, but you didn't lump them in with HSV as thinking they are "better", even though they called themselves the TN Valley as well.

Large portions of Kentucky are called the Ohio Valley because it's in the Ohio River Valley. Not because they long to be part of Ohio.
Its not "the rest of the state has against HSV" it is the attitude HSV has displayed towards the rest of the state. HSV prides itself as being smarter, more progressive, cleaner, safer - everything/all positive attributes, above and beyond the rest of Alabama. To the rest of the nation Alabama is considered backward, slow and dumb - you have to know that, right? So when you have a town with a lot of transplants working tech jobs, it shouldn't be a shock that they would want to distance themselves from what Alabama is thought of.

The "Tennessee Valley" branding is just icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:39 PM
 
3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Reputation: 4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I didn't know this is a feeling that the rest of the state has against the HSV area. I've only lived in AL for 3 years, and those 3 years have been spent in Madison.

I thought this area was called the TN Valley because of, hello, the TN River! We're in the TN River Valley, as is the Shoals area, but you didn't lump them in with HSV as thinking they are "better", even though they called themselves the TN Valley as well.

Large portions of Kentucky are called the Ohio Valley because it's in the Ohio River Valley. Not because they long to be part of Ohio.

I don't think people in northern Alabama think they are "better" than the rest of the state. That is an opinion Tourian holds, not the rest of the state. However, Madison County does, to me anyway, appear to be on a better trajectory than Jefferson County. The per capita income is higher, there seem to be more high paying jobs in engineering there (per capita anyway), and the area is adding population faster than Jefferson County. Also, the whole bankruptcy thing that JeffCo has hanging over its head. There are certainly reasons to prefer the Huntsville area to the Birmingham area. It is not the economic center that Birmingham is because it is smaller, but it also doesn't deal with a lot of the problems Birmingham suffers from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,614 posts, read 2,300,367 times
Reputation: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Its not "the rest of the state has against HSV" it is the attitude HSV has displayed towards the rest of the state. HSV prides itself as being smarter, more progressive, cleaner, safer - everything/all positive attributes, above and beyond the rest of Alabama. To the rest of the nation Alabama is considered backward, slow and dumb - you have to know that, right? So when you have a town with a lot of transplants working tech jobs, it shouldn't be a shock that they would want to distance themselves from what Alabama is thought of.

The "Tennessee Valley" branding is just icing on the cake.
Well, there's some truth to that, I guess. You can't be a total dumb-a$$ and work for NASA or any of the DoD gov't contractors. Newcomers tend to flock to 2 areas of town, and surprise, those are the areas with the highest home values and best public schools. It all goes hand in hand.

And surely you don't think the rest of the nation views Tennessee as leaps & bounds above Alabama. Outside the south, most people think all Tennesseans are hillbillies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Reputation: 10120
Its the lesser of two evils. Grass is always greener I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Alabama!
6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The simple fact that you guys tout the area as the "Tennessee Valley" and the phrase "Northern Alabama" is never uttered or considered proper is testament to me.
What??
It's called the Tennessee Valley because the Tennessee River runs through it and it IS a valley, which you can see as you drive southbound on I-65...the road descends and the land flattens, and as you approach Cullman at the Morgan/Cullman county line, the road ascends and the terrain becomes more hilly.

"Tennessee Valley" refers to Huntsville/Decatur/Florence/Scottsboro - all those cities along the river. It's often used somewhat interchangeably with "North Alabama." I'm always startled when "North Alabama" is used in reference to Birmingham. We consider North Alabama to be from the Cullman/Blount county line and north.

I believe the idea that Huntsville "thinks it's better than the rest of Alabama" mostly is in your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Reputation: 10120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
What??
It's called the Tennessee Valley because the Tennessee River runs through it and it IS a valley, which you can see as you drive southbound on I-65...the road descends and the land flattens, and as you approach Cullman at the Morgan/Cullman county line, the road ascends and the terrain becomes more hilly.

"Tennessee Valley" refers to Huntsville/Decatur/Florence/Scottsboro - all those cities along the river. It's often used somewhat interchangeably with "North Alabama." I'm always startled when "North Alabama" is used in reference to Birmingham. We consider North Alabama to be from the Cullman/Blount county line and north.

I believe the idea that Huntsville "thinks it's better than the rest of Alabama" mostly is in your mind.
I understand geography and have addressed that it in earlier post. It's cute how you pull that one thing out of all that ive said about this yet have no answer for anything else. Buts that's the SOP around here. Birmingham is in north-central Alabama.

There's also a thread in the HSV section that proves it's not just in my mind. Sorry.

Last edited by Tourian; 03-22-2015 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM
 
2,513 posts, read 2,788,969 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Its not "the rest of the state has against HSV" it is the attitude HSV has displayed towards the rest of the state. HSV prides itself as being smarter, more progressive, cleaner, safer - everything/all positive attributes, above and beyond the rest of Alabama. To the rest of the nation Alabama is considered backward, slow and dumb - you have to know that, right? So when you have a town with a lot of transplants working tech jobs, it shouldn't be a shock that they would want to distance themselves from what Alabama is thought of.

The "Tennessee Valley" branding is just icing on the cake.
I wouldn't say more progressive at all. Smarter, cleaner, safer...sure. Too much good ole' boy system in Huntsville to be progressive, though some leaders are trying to break that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top