Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
This is just for fun, but I shopped together what an all-AL skyline would look like - all of our state's tall buildings in one shot. It does underscore the point that Bham needs a filler tower.
When Birmingham looks like this let me know?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...wn_atlanta.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 AM

106 posts, read 162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
When Birmingham looks like this let me know?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...wn_atlanta.jpg
May it never. Pretty sure there's an ATL forum on this site for your convenience. You would do best to keep your commentary confined to those pages.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:43 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
We're in a similar situation over here in Jax. Could use plenty of mid rises to fill in the skyline definitely no demand for a super tall, which would probably stick out oddly.

There are some differences...we have a couple really tall buildings, while you guys probably have better occupancy, but I personally think that in both our cases we should focus on infill/density over height of a few buildings. Give me several blocks of active low rises rather than one skyscraper any day. Skylines are nice but I think for cities in our position the vibrancy and walkability is worth a lot more than one or two dots in the horizon.

Anyway, just my .2
I've always been puzzled by the fact that Jacksonville doesn't have a bigger skyline given its population. However, I know the numbers can be deceiving since the MSA population is 1.3 million.

I think that what's going on in Birmingham right now is exactly what it needs. I do want a new high rise proposal announced but it really isn't all that necessary yet. I just would like to see it happen in the next few years.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM

121 posts, read 164,388 times
I think Bham could look like half of that with a midrise by the legacy arena , 2 mid rises midtown , a highrise within midtown , a midrise in lakeview , 2 midrises in 5 points south.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
This is just for fun, but I shopped together what an all-AL skyline would look like - all of our state's tall buildings in one shot. It does underscore the point that Bham needs a filler tower.

did you leave out the 2 already built 25+ story condo towers in orange beach and the 2 35+ story ones that are on the table?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 PM

410 posts, read 362,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
Built.will BIRMINGHAM ever be close to what NASHVILLE or ATLANTA ? to me memphis an bham go toe to toe . Please give your opinions on what you hypothetically think would put BHAM on par with other METRO AREAs of 1.2-5 million in metro population an size.
Lmfao.....why not other metro areas of 400k-1.2 million?

Birmingham is more similar to metro areas like Jackson, columbia(sc), augusta(ga), etc....yeah it's bigger than these, but it fits in much better with those than these bigger cities.

Birmingham is a small city, and many of us like it that way.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
Lmfao.....why not other metro areas of 400k-1.2 million?

Birmingham is more similar to metro areas like Jackson, columbia(sc), augusta(ga), etc....yeah it's bigger than these, but it fits in much better with those than these bigger cities.

Birmingham is a small city, and many of us like it that way.
Birmingham is not in the same category as those cities.

Birmingham: Jacksonville, Memphis, Richmond ,Nola(yes Nola) , and etc.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:23 AM

121 posts, read 164,388 times
Taco guy are you serious? Bham belongs behind memphis atleast

Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Birmingham is not in the same category as those cities.

Birmingham: Jacksonville, Memphis, Richmond ,Nola(yes Nola) , and etc.
Except for new orleans(because of special cultural considerations putting that In a different category), bham is probably in the same category as jacksonville, Memphis, and Richmond. But note that those cities aren't in they same category as cities on the upper half range as the initial metro area population either.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
Taco guy are you serious? Bham belongs behind memphis atleast
Maybe, but Memphis doesn't belong in that first category(cities in the upper half of those pop numbers) you mentioned either.

I can already see the game you are trying to play- group a list of comps together where each of the comps in the group is sorta close to another, but the extremes in the group are not close together. That is an embarrassing strategy.

Birmingham has more in common with Columbia than it does say.....Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area