Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I've never seen a sign or anything proclaiming "Welcome to Birmingham....home of the Talladega Super Speedway!"

That's because it isn't in Birmingham.
I see I'm dealing with some other-worldy logic here, so let me slow it down for you.

The event takes place in the Birmingham metro area. There are lots of events that take place in a lot of major cities' suburbs that are claimed by the hub city. You can find evidence of this all across the country. That's just the way things are done in major cities. Ooooo, I said it. Birmingham is a major city.

The airport has more then just a sign for a person like you. It has the Talladega Grille, a NASCAR themed restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
I think both sides of the Talladega argument are right. Is Talladega part of the Birmingham metro area in the broadest definition? Yes. Does the city of Birmingham and its surrounding suburbs that most people would consider the "real" metro area get a huge economic boost from the event? Of course. (and this is probably the most important thing, really).

However, the reason some people feel it isn't really part of the metro area is because of how detached it is from the city. There are tens of miles of very little going on between Talladega and Birmingham. If, say, Hoover were picked up and dropped off in between Moody and Pell City, then Talladega would feel much more connected to the metro area than it does.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I think both sides of the Talladega argument are right. Is Talladega part of the Birmingham metro area in the broadest definition? Yes. Does the city of Birmingham and its surrounding suburbs that most people would consider the "real" metro area get a huge economic boost from the event? Of course. (and this is probably the most important thing, really).

However, the reason some people feel it isn't really part of the metro area is because of how detached it is from the city. There are tens of miles of very little going on between Talladega and Birmingham. If, say, Hoover were picked up and dropped off in between Moody and Pell City, then Talladega would feel much more connected to the metro area than it does.

Lol. Look at the difference. Your first paragraph uses the words "IS and DOES and YES" a lot, as in fact. Definite. Absolute.

The second part uses the term "feel" and "some people"

Yet you conclude they are both "right." Unbelievable.

You guys can feel all you want. I made a statement based in fact and I get criticized by a bunch of think they know-it-alls who want to discuss their feelings and people they may or may not have heard say certain things. Have at it.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:47 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Lol. Look at the difference. Your first paragraph uses the words "IS and DOES and YES" a lot, as in fact. Definite. Absolute.

The second part uses the term "feel" and "some people"

Yet you conclude they are both "right." Unbelievable.

You guys can feel all you want. I made a statement based in fact and I get criticized by a bunch of think they know-it-alls who want to discuss their feelings and people they may or may not have heard say certain things. Have at it.

"However, the reason some people feel it isn't really part of the metro area is because of how detached it is from the city. There are tens of miles of very little going on between Talladega and Birmingham."

Your "facts" include using a definition which adds an entire county to a metropolitan area in one day. So you are telling me that one day, it is not part of the metro area and the next day it is. Sorry, but in this case, "feels" actually makes more sense than "is".

Old 03-19-2015, 11:02 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
Tourian must be a chef or something b/c he minces words like no other!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
"However, the reason some people feel it isn't really part of the metro area is because of how detached it is from the city. There are tens of miles of very little going on between Talladega and Birmingham."

Your "facts" include using a definition which adds an entire county to a metropolitan area in one day. So you are telling me that one day, it is not part of the metro area and the next day it is. Sorry, but in this case, "feels" actually makes more sense than "is".
Your opinion of "detached" feel means nothing to me.

Our CSA is definied by the same rules that define every other CSA in this country. Yet of course, you only have criticism and derision for this one. In every corner of this board, city nerds and sunshine pumpers who love to get off on pop numbers, density figures and the like compare city against city using CSA figures all the time, but here you are only having an issue with Birmingham which gets no special treatment from the OMB.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
[quote=Tourian;38877667]But that "difference" or whatever you think it is, is not what is being discussed here. The Talladega race brings dollars to Birmingham. That's it.

LOL, Talladega is 50, fifty miles EAST of BHAM. It brings dollars to Talladega and Anniston.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:06 PM

[quote=bigstick;38877842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
But that "difference" or whatever you think it is, is not what is being discussed here. The Talladega race brings dollars to Birmingham. That's it.

LOL, Talladega is 50, fifty miles EAST of BHAM. It brings dollars to Talladega and Anniston.
We know where it is, Copernicus. And the economic impat it brings is to Birmingham. Should we believe you or the BBJ?

Where Birmingham stands with five of its big sporting events - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
Here's a look at several of them, their impact and the outlook for keeping them in Birmingham (economic impact figures are for metro Birmingham, not overall):

Talladega

The event: NASCAR's two annual races at Talladega – just a short drive from Birmingham on I-20 – draw hundreds of thousands each year.
Venue: Talladega Superspeedway
Tenure: Two races annually since 1970.
Committed through: 2015 (NASCAR approves its schedule each year)
Average economic impact: $14M (spring race), $10M (fall race)

Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
[quote=Tourian;38877929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post

We know where it is, Copernicus. And the economic impat it brings is to Birmingham. Should we believe you or the BBJ?

Where Birmingham stands with five of its big sporting events - Birmingham Business Journal
The BBJ is just as sensationalistic as you and your brethren are.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:04 PM

New Talladega Superspeedway Themed

Quote:
“We are thrilled about the opening of the Talladega Grille at the newly renovated wing of the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Airport,” said Grant Lynch, Chairman of Talladega Superspeedway. “Many of our race fans fly into Birmingham before they make the short trip to NASCAR’s Most Competitive Track, and we are excited about having our brand greet them upon their arrival.
“The city of Birmingham has always been one of our greatest partners and it will be a pleasure serving the masses who utilize the airport. While fans are here at Talladega Superspeedway during race weekend, we always remind them of the many things to do and places to see while in Birmingham. With the new Talladega Grille, we are glad to join other businesses as a part of the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Airport.”
Gee whiz, so the chairman of the track sures seems on board with Birmingham. He even endorses it by reminding fans of what they can see and do WHILE IN BIRMINGHAM. I wonder why he didn't just say Talladega exclusively?

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 03-22-2015 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area