Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 06:03 PM

27 posts, read 43,288 times

Advertisements

It seems around the city I keep hearing East BHAM having the Atlanta vibe an trend going.that's from "Downtown to center point" . The western side of the city feels like Chicago . But I think East BHAM primed for more urban growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 PM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
West of I-65 will improve, imo. Too much proximal development to not have a positive effect. I suspect that the focus of revitalizing the city center will eventually yield residual development in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Avondale is a little different circumstance, but unless I'm mistaken, I think some posters on here know of specific revival efforts targeted for Woodlawn and Norwood. Maybe that's wrong, or maybe that's just been a general impression they've picked up on.

Somebody will know -- what's the business either coming to or moving locations in town that announced they will setting up their offices west of I-65? That kind of move is huge for impoverished and blighted areas of the city.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:17 PM

But the U.S steel layoffs not going to help the Western area . I can see the east side being flooded with diversity as the south side.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
West of I-65 will improve, imo. Too much proximal development to not have a positive effect. I suspect that the focus of revitalizing the city center will eventually yield residual development in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Avondale is a little different circumstance, but unless I'm mistaken, I think some posters on here know of specific revival efforts targeted for Woodlawn and Norwood. Maybe that's wrong, or maybe that's just been a general impression they've picked up on.

Somebody will know -- what's the business either coming to or moving locations in town that announced they will setting up their offices west of I-65? That kind of move is huge for impoverished and blighted areas of the city.
There is actually some development going in on the west of I-65. Revelator Coffee, the new coffee company that put their first coffee shop downtown, will locating their corporate headquarters at 730 1st Ave North. That's pretty close to the Platinum Club. They opening two new coffee shops right now. That won't really change anything much on that side of town but it may indicate a trend that people will start spreading out more.

Revelator Coffee to open roastery, headquarters in downtown Birmingham | AL.com

And yes, you're right. There is some targeted development in Woodlawn by REV Birmingham. Usually, whatever they do works for a neighborhood. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Thanks for your response . I think the shopping center being planned next to cross Plex will boost some modern vibrancy in that area.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 PM

Even the rapid bus system east to west will help . I think Birmingham will progress as a hub faster than expected.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Have to hope that the Crossplex is able to spawn a retail and hospitality district around itself to bring some new development to the West. The bart line will help too. I think Titusville and the area immediately west of 65 will start to improve as the rest of downtown does it will just take a lot longer.

We don't really have to worry about the east. It is moving along house by house and soon block by block.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 PM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
I appreciate Revelator for 1. moving operations to the 205, and 2. setting up shop in a derelict Smithfield. Hope the public responds well to that location.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM

By the time the world games get here the EAST will be like HUGE Homewood with its vibrancy an x10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area