Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM

522 posts, read 846,183 times

Advertisements

Can’t wait to see this thing completed! Lane Parke.

A look ahead: Lane Parke to begin 2nd phase of construction - villagelivingonline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:25 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Looks as if this is the year for the stadium near the Civic Center:

Jefferson County to commit $30 million to downtown stadium | AL.com

Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 PM

508 posts, read 615,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

This is beyond due. The best PR for a city is through visitors. Birmingham is on its way to attracting MANY more tourist than in past years with this move amongst many others.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM

377 posts, read 340,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Very good sign, dare I say Birmingham might be looking at having more and better bowl games and season kickoff games (much more annual revenue for city, county, and state) in it's future? This could blow Uptown into another stratosphere

Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth names interim president and CEO | AL.com

I am hoping they make this pick permanent since Southwell was the Deputy General Manager of Miami International Airport (MIA) and Assistant General Manager and General Manager of Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport (HJIA). He was a major key player in the recruitment and growth in the rapid growth of non-stop business and commercial passenger flights at both airports. He also was a part of the rapid increase in cargo flights at HJIA. He would know what is needed for Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to finally grow its non-stop flight destinations to the business hubs across the nation and utilize the US Customs office for passenger flights as well.

Quote:
The Board of Directors of the Birmingham Airport Authority has named an Interim President and Chief Executive officer of the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport.

Brakkam Aviation Management's Miguel Southwell will take the position Feb. 1, according to a statement from the board of directors.
Quote:
Southwell is a former general manager of Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Southwell has over 30 years of experience in the aviation industry, including leadership positions at airports in Atlanta and Miami.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Future jobs for Lakeshore?

U.S. Steel planning warehouse, distribution center on Birmingham's Lakeshore Parkway | AL.com

I am actually happy that the site was changed from a mixed use development sit, to a site that will create actual careers vs temporary jobs, for people.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth names interim president and CEO | AL.com

I am hoping they make this pick permanent since Southwell was the Deputy General Manager of Miami International Airport (MIA) and Assistant General Manager and General Manager of Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport (HJIA). He was a major key player in the recruitment and growth in the rapid growth of non-stop business and commercial passenger flights at both airports. He also was a part of the rapid increase in cargo flights at HJIA. He would know what is needed for Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to finally grow its non-stop flight destinations to the business hubs across the nation and utilize the US Customs office for passenger flights as well.
I hope so. I was just blasting the Airport authority last week for not being more aggressive in trying to land more non stop and international flights. Hopefully this move will change that.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:13 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
The Brown-Marx Tower has just been sold to a hospitality developer. I wondered when this would happen. Of course, I'm trying to figure out how the market will be able to absorb a hotel that huge:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...925&j=79595151

Old 01-23-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I hope so. I was just blasting the Airport authority last week for not being more aggressive in trying to land more non stop and international flights. Hopefully this move will change that.
Absolutely. Truthfully, an international flight between a Euro city and an Asian city, would open Birmingham (an Alabama) to many other regions, on the respected continents. These will be great for economic developments. Seasonal flights were good enough, and should be maintained, but a few year round flights are necessary.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Absolutely. Truthfully, an international flight between a Euro city and an Asian city, would open Birmingham (an Alabama) to many other regions, on the respected continents. These will be great for economic developments. Seasonal flights were good enough, and should be maintained, but a few year round flights are necessary.
But it doesn't make sense to fly in and out of Birmingham to go to an Asian or European city.

Think about it.

Does the Birmingham area have enough traffic to any city outside of North America to justify it? Of course not. Are people travelling from all over the world by the hundreds to wind up in Birmingham? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

So if the Birmingham market can't support it, then you have to have people who are connecting. So why connect in Birmingham when there are such limited flight options to continue? If someone is in Barcelona and wants to get to Denver, why would they connect in Birmingham when they would then have to fly to a city that flies direct to Denver? Why not just land in Atlanta, Boston, Philly, NYC, Charlotte, etc where there are tons of direct flights to every major city in North America?

I understand you have to start somewhere, but I don't really think our airport is holding us back right now. We simply don't have the air traffic to justify these types of flights. And whether we like it or not, our proximity to Atlanta is going to make it that much harder to get that traffic.

Nashville's airport also suffers from this, and it has far more air traffic local to Nashville. It is also much more of a destination city (though maybe not from an international perspective).

Before we get direct flights to Tokyo, Paris, or Shanghai we need multiple nonstop flights a day to places like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Miami, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area