Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 02:09 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times

Advertisements

so does baker's row actually have any tenants lined up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:50 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
All I have to say about Baker's Row is.... Wow! That was done perfectly. The end result is very impressive. I hope somebdy does something with the Beer Engineers building soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
so does baker's row actually have any tenants lined up?
I was just going to say I was down there a week ago and didn't see anything new from a distance, but I admit I didn't go close enough to see what had changed. Do you have any more details?

Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I was just going to say I was down there a week ago and didn't see anything new from a distance, but I admit I didn't go close enough to see what had changed. Do you have any more details?
Unfortunately, I was in too big of a hurry but I will be back in the hood tomorrow. I'll snap some photos. Luckily, I get to be in Parkside quite a bit during the week. It looks to be pretty much completed on the exterior... All that's left is the interior. Landscaping was going in today. The attached "parking garage" is complete. The parking garage is some old metal building (warehouse) that is open to the air. Cars can just drive right in. Even the garage looks really cool with a nice new railing outside, a modern paint color, and logos painted on the side. All of the windows are finished being replaced. Logos painted on the outside of the main building. I guess what I'm so impressed with is what they made of this building. I really didn't think it would look so fantastic. It gives me hope for so many of these warehouses in Birmingham that I used to hate.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 PM

^Sounds cool. I'll remind myself to take a closer look when I go down there again.^ The "height" as you say around Parkside is pretty impressive. I almost don't want for Regions Field to get "walled" in, but at the same time the development is impressive.

We don't talk much about suburban development, but along with the Whole Foods 2 center I hope the recession is truly over and we get some more development news on the proposed center in Gardendale at Fieldstown Rd, the 280/119 Yielding development, the big center out in Odenville, the proposed high end center in Trussville off of Deerfoot Pkwy and....am I leaving something out?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,985 times
Tourian, the highlights of Baker's Row are not facing 14th. Left on Powell and the same on 13th and then 1st So.
This will give you the three views that count.

I agree with others, this turned out well, but I read schematics well so I knew it would.

I do remember them discussing a national restaurant that they had talked with. Not 'mallish'. Every district needs some high level national businesses. It helps non locals get some bearing on what the area is about.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
I wonder if that row of 1- to 2-story industrial type businesses on 1st Ave South between 16th and 17th (between LIV Parkside and B&A) will ever move. That's got to be pretty valuable real estate and would make for a great new development.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM

I can't picture where you are talking about, but I'm sure you are right. Every place that is only doing marginal business is probably licking their chops in the hopes that they can cash in and move.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:16 PM

401 posts, read 536,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I wonder if that row of 1- to 2-story industrial type businesses on 1st Ave South between 16th and 17th (between LIV Parkside and B&A) will ever move. That's got to be pretty valuable real estate and would make for a great new development.
If I may . . .

The block Tim City is talking about is bounded by 16th and 17th streets and the Stockyard development next to the park. According to the project map below, it seems that a hotel development has been proposed.

Now for Baker's Row. Please forgive me if these are less than Anne Lebowitzesque . . .

New signage has been hung on the construction barrier around Powell Ave Steam Plant. Snapped the photo because I'm pleased that the area is fully endorsing its new Parkside District brand.

Now for a question. The Pizitz parking deck which cattycornerly abuts the principle building has been roped off and construction equipment is being brought in. Anybody know what the plans for the deck are? Are they using this opportunity to demolish it all together, or renovating it? It's pretty cool to drive north on 18th St btw and see all the construction going on. Pizitz, Grey / BTW reno, Lyric . . . whole street is transforming.

There is a ton more new Red Rocks Trail signage around town than I knew. Neat little points of improvement.

And finally, anyone else seen these around town? I haven't responded to them (all seem to be in the most logical positions already), but I think it's of note that I took this at Pepper Place. You see them mostly in the CBD, but I'm thrilled to know they're entertaining making the ride sharing available throughout the urban core.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 PM

I think they are keeping the deck but demolishing the annex (which is not historic) regarding Pizitz...

Thanks for the pics.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:51 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
A hotel development is planned there???? Do you have any info on this? An article or anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area