Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times

Advertisements

i love B&A, and they have a great space / location... gotta wonder though if they've been getting offers for their space as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i love B&A, and they have a great space / location... gotta wonder though if they've been getting offers for their space as well.
Probably have, but they're in a great spot. There's still other vacant properties in the area I'd like to see get developed before B&A (although there's now not any available property to develop fronting Railroad Park). I also wonder how long Sherwin Williams will keep that distribution center on 3rd Ave S.

There's Powell Steam Plant, the building next to Good People where Beer Engineers was going, a 2 story brick building at the corner of 2nd Ave S & 17th St on the same block as the condo/hotel development, a couple vacant buildings along 3rd Ave S between 18th and 17th St across from the Hilton hotel, and still several under-utilized properties along 14th St between Regions Field and UAB.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:13 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
Text from the article:

A team that includes companies from Birmingham, New York City and San Francisco plans to transform a half-block across from Railroad Park on First Avenue South into 250,000 square feet of hospitality, residential and commercial space.

The project will include a 140-room boutique hotel, cultural and event space, residential units for sale and retail and studio spaces on the ground floor. The team behind the project includes Birmingham native and New York venture capitalist Jared Weinstein, Grant Brigham and Tommy Brigham of ARC Realty. Amanda Loper of San Francisco-based David Baker Architects is the lead architect. Birmingham-based BL Harbert International is the contractor. Co-development partners are also located in New York City and California.

“Birmingham is on the path to becoming a 21st century success story, and Railroad Park is an early symbol of that success,” Weinstein said. “We’re excited to assemble a team that will bring a top-tier project to the Parkside District and play a part in downtown Birmingham’s continued growth.”

The project will be located on the southern entrance of Railroad Park on First Avenue South between LIV Parkside and Regions Field. As we previously reported, Parkside District Ventures LLC purchased the property in 2016 for $3.7 million.

The site is currently home to warehouses.

Brigham said Parkside is shaping up to be a true urban village, and the development team believes there’s a place in the market for a boutique hotel and residential units for sale.

He said the development presents an opportunity to build off something like Railroad Park that has brought people together in the community.

Brigham said a hotel flag has been secured, but could not be disclosed at this time.

Pre-sales of the residential units are slated to begin this summer. Developers are planning to utilize the Opportunity Zones program in conjunction with the project. The program has already proven to be a driver of deals and development in Birmingham's urban core, which is entirely within an Opportunity Zone.

The team is also planning to work with local organizations to create a hospitality workforce development program as part of the project.

As we noted in a recent Cover Story, Parkside is currently experiencing a new wave of development that will bring more than 1,200 new residential units – the bulk being apartments – to the growing neighborhood.

A number of those projects are mixed-use developments, but it also includes expansions at Children’s of Alabama and Red Mountain Theatre Co.’s planned $25 million arts campus.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:18 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
awesome. perfect use for that site.

What's awesome about it is the fact that it's not just another six-story box but something that's kind of architecturally interesting, too.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times
Give me the uptown area in the next 3-5 years...

Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM

81 posts, read 71,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Give me the uptown area in the next 3-5 years...
I do think we will see a lot of Uptown development once the BJCC projects are complete and CityWalk is complete. I just hope a local element starts to come out, but I imagine it’ll continue to be the chain / conference area.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 PM

81 posts, read 71,086 times
This Parkside project is awesome. Props to the people involved with it. If it comes to fruition and uses quality materials, it’s gonna stand out in a great way.

What’s everyone’s prediction for the hotel brand? They mentioned they secured a flag. My prediction is Hyatt a Centric, seems to fit the style and Hyatt doesn’t have any city center hotels.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:08 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbirmingham View Post
This Parkside project is awesome. Props to the people involved with it. If it comes to fruition and uses quality materials, it’s gonna stand out in a great way.

What’s everyone’s prediction for the hotel brand? They mentioned they secured a flag. My prediction is Hyatt a Centric, seems to fit the style and Hyatt doesn’t have any city center hotels.
AC Hotel by Marriott because Birmingham is one of the bigger markets without one. I have no doubt with the other hotels being proposed down the pipeline that Hyatt won't be bringing another brand to the urban core. There are other hotels being considered but these are going to be closer to the BJCC.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbirmingham View Post
I do think we will see a lot of Uptown development once the BJCC projects are complete and CityWalk is complete. I just hope a local element starts to come out, but I imagine it’ll continue to be the chain / conference area.
Tad Synder gots a lot of ideas in discussion about having several more entertainment options that's been throwed around a couple years ago. Mention of a music venue, comedy theatre, etc. So it's more than just chains. Even tho it would be nice for few local restaurants to open a location there. Plus the expansion of uptown 2 phase, upcoming carraway development with restaurants, retail, hotel and housing. A new walkway path from uptown to that development. Two more hotels and the remodel of the sheraton as well. One, maybe two parking decks. It's just a matter of time before more housing options are put into the works....

Old 05-23-2019, 03:00 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
As an outsider looking in, it appears that all the new housing is either apartments, or mega dollar luxury condo's. Does this concern you locals that all of these new projects are being designed as long term profit engines for the developers. If the only place the middle class can afford to own is the suburbs, how is Birmingham going to grow into livable city. This is the problem with places like New York, the middle class doesn't have any way to own a condo or home in Manhattan. So they are forced to commute from the outer Burroughs, which is what has caused their severe traffic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area