U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 08:12 AM

247 posts, read 87,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
UAB has plans for that location. They just haven't revealed them yet.
I think short term it’s going to be a green space / they will have food trucks there, but long term I imagine it will be a pretty key building or significant project going up in such an important spot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 03:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This week I also noticed the big old building that was at the corner of University and 20th Street (maybe it was called UAB townhouse) that held Sitar Indian Restaurant on the ground floor had been demolished. Didn't look like anything new was coming out of the ground just yet, but hopefully soon. Also, Sitar is open just a few blocks away in a new spot.
They did this about 5 months ago..

Old 01-10-2020, 01:11 PM

1,433 posts, read 921,181 times
Saw it from a distance, so I may be off, but it looks like a (short) tower crane is up for the Daniel project in Parkside.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Saw it from a distance, so I may be off, but it looks like a (short) tower crane is up for the Daniel project in Parkside.
About to be a lot of cranes in that area.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:23 PM

I’m not good at posting pictures, but Creature posted on Instagram an updated rendering to their project on 1st Ave N and 23rd St. Looks better than what I remember. It says one commercial and 12 apartments, feel like that changed as well.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:35 PM

1,433 posts, read 921,181 times
^ best i can do is provide the link:

https://www.instagram.com/creaturebuilds/

Old 01-10-2020, 03:12 PM

BBJ article related to the building:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

"With approvals for the facade in hand, a Colorado developer continues to move forward on a boutique residential development along the First Avenue North corridor.

“The Dagny” is a project by Residential Ventures that will bring 12 units along with 2,400 square feet of ground floor restaurant and retail space over three floors at 2216/2218 First Ave. N.

It’s a $4 million project that will include a light shaft into an exterior courtyard in the middle of the building. The units will look out onto the courtyard, which will also be accessible to the restaurant and retail space.

Cam Borges of Residential Ventures said they are looking for a family-owned restaurant concept to move into the commercial space.

The project may wrap up by mid-year if not earlier, said Mike Gibson at Birmingham-based design-build firm Creature.

Gibson said the building is designed with a modern and industrial interpretation of the Art Deco Style, inspired by the Dagny heroine in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, a figure who inherits one of the largest railroad companies in the U.S. at the time."

Old 01-10-2020, 03:12 PM

212 posts, read 89,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
There is. I would imagine the Foundry apartment project will get a tower crane out soon (they're just using a crawler crane now). Also, there should be multiple cranes at the Protective Stadium site within a month.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:14 PM

212 posts, read 89,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
I’m not good at posting pictures, but Creature posted on Instagram an updated rendering to their project on 1st Ave N and 23rd St. Looks better than what I remember. It says one commercial and 12 apartments, feel like that changed as well.
Definitely looks better. I think the original plan was condos with larger floor planes & less total units.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:27 PM

Definitely looks much better, found the original design:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...st-avenue.html

Since we will have some condos across the street at Mercantile, I like having 12 apartment units vs 2 condos here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area