U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 03:29 PM

247 posts, read 87,354 times

Advertisements

Residential Ventures also owns the building across from Carrigan's on Morris Ave. I'll be interested to see what they have planned there, I imagine it will be similar to this project.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 01:04 PM

1,425 posts, read 914,096 times
finally some equipment out on this site that's been sitting dormant for well over a year. AND a construction trailer.

https://bhamnow.com/2020/01/13/mixed...ams-southside/

Last edited by TimCity2000; 01-13-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM

1,425 posts, read 914,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Definitely looks much better, found the original design:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...st-avenue.html

Since we will have some condos across the street at Mercantile, I like having 12 apartment units vs 2 condos here as well.
I didn't mind the previous version, but I do like this one better. Looks like they're adding a floor to the building on the left (I like that recent projects have been adding a floor or two to these existing buildings... it started with The Thomas).

This is on the same block as the Wine Loft.

Now if only that stupid pawn shop the next block over could go away...

Old 01-13-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I didn't mind the previous version, but I do like this one better. Looks like they're adding a floor to the building on the left (I like that recent projects have been adding a floor or two to these existing buildings... it started with The Thomas).

This is on the same block as the Wine Loft.

Now if only that stupid pawn shop the next block over could go away...
Yeah I agree it is a nice trend to see projects coming back and adding more. Hopefully Midtown 3 actually starts this year too. I like that Lakeview Green is more unique than the block development.

Yeah that pawn shop might be one of the worst buildings in the historic downtown area... It is such an eye sore. Gotta think they sell soon as property has shot up.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Historic tax credit could pave way for renovation of Building Trades Tower in Five Points:

"A prominent tower in Birmingham’s historic Five Points South neighborhood has been approved for tax credits that could offset the costs of a potential rehabilitation project.

Last month, the National Park Service approved Birmingham Buildings Trades Tower to receive historic preservation tax credits. The agency is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Built in 1969, the building is not old enough to qualify for Alabama historic tax credits under the current program’s requirements, but it is eligible for Opportunity Zone tax incentives.

Located at the corner of Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard and 10th Avenue South, the 12-story building houses 236 housing units for senior citizens. The building was originally built for the Birmingham Buildings Trades Towers Inc., a project that was partly funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The building has faced several challenges over the years, including a 2015 fire that caused the indefinite evacuation of all residents due to asbestos and other code issues. The property is currently under a HUD use restriction for senior affordable housing that expires in a few years."

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

I have heard that the owner / developer has been working with HUD to remove the restriction since they had the fire and feels pretty good about getting a waiver. Think we could see this project rolling as soon as that happens.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Looks like 20 / 59 will be opened back up on or before the 21st. Hopefully over the next few months we get movement on CityWalk. I think that is going to make a huge impact on the area.

https://twitter.com/_AnnaBeahm/statu...42481716879363

Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 PM

578 posts, read 429,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Historic tax credit could pave way for renovation of Building Trades Tower in Five Points:

"A prominent tower in Birmingham’s historic Five Points South neighborhood has been approved for tax credits that could offset the costs of a potential rehabilitation project.

Last month, the National Park Service approved Birmingham Buildings Trades Tower to receive historic preservation tax credits. The agency is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Built in 1969, the building is not old enough to qualify for Alabama historic tax credits under the current program’s requirements, but it is eligible for Opportunity Zone tax incentives.

Located at the corner of Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard and 10th Avenue South, the 12-story building houses 236 housing units for senior citizens. The building was originally built for the Birmingham Buildings Trades Towers Inc., a project that was partly funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The building has faced several challenges over the years, including a 2015 fire that caused the indefinite evacuation of all residents due to asbestos and other code issues. The property is currently under a HUD use restriction for senior affordable housing that expires in a few years."

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

I have heard that the owner / developer has been working with HUD to remove the restriction since they had the fire and feels pretty good about getting a waiver. Think we could see this project rolling as soon as that happens.
God, I hope the make some drastic changes to the exterior facade of this building! This building needs an architectural makeover asap!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM

212 posts, read 88,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
God, I hope the make some drastic changes to the exterior facade of this building! This building needs an architectural makeover asap!
Yeah it's an eyesore. Glad to see something happening here (increasing density is great for the city), but this is an instance where I'd be ok with tearing down a building and doing new construction. Like the article said, this building doesn't really qualify as being "historic".

Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM

8,007 posts, read 3,762,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
Yeah it's an eyesore. Glad to see something happening here (increasing density is great for the city), but this is an instance where I'd be ok with tearing down a building and doing new construction. Like the article said, this building doesn't really qualify as being "historic".

If a box can be considered historic.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:28 PM

212 posts, read 88,255 times
The 5th Ave Antiques building has sold to Colliers ahead of a redevelopment. Anyone know what's planned? To me, Colliers involvement would suggest an office renovation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-ahead-of.html

Bonds Brothers supply, Theatre Downtown, and Immanual Church will have to find new locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area