U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 02:21 PM

212 posts, read 88,766 times

Advertisements

Another Southside renovation/expansion project announced today. A 2,200 sq ft building at 2220 4th Ave S is getting renovation and a new 3,300 sq ft building is being constructed on a vacant lot next to the existing property. Plans are office/retail use.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...ide-mixed.html

It's encouraging to see the development spreading out from the downtown core towards Red Mtn Expressway in one direction and towards I-65 in the other direction. Small infill projects like this can cumulatively make a big difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 05:20 PM

1,431 posts, read 917,957 times
a few cranes onsite for protective stadium. checkout the construction cam here:

https://www.protectivestadium.com/

speaking of cranes - driving along I-65 gives you the best view of the various tower cranes around downtown / southside. i think there are 5 up at the moment.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 PM

247 posts, read 87,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

speaking of cranes - driving along I-65 gives you the best view of the various tower cranes around downtown / southside. i think there are 5 up at the moment.
This just reminds me how thankful I am B&G is the GC. I would be worried if it was some name I hadn’t really heard of, but they will give this project what it deserves.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

I think there's actually 6 up, unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of a tower crane.

1 at Ascend, 2 at UAB dorm, 1 at Daniel Corp's Parkside apartments, 1 at Baker's Row II apartments, and 1 at Foundry apartments. Also one in downtown Homewood for the Hilton hotel.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 AM

^ no, i think you're right. i forgot about foundry.

looks like ascend has topped out... haven't seen them pouring or forming anything in a couple of weeks.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:55 PM

247 posts, read 87,685 times
Legacy Arena is closing April 2nd for its renovations. Have there been any interior renderings released? I'm really curious what it is going to look like.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 PM

584 posts, read 430,902 times
Construction has started on the new luxury Hilton Tapestry hotel downtown Birmingham. It is going to be in the historic Commerce Center building at 1st Ave N and Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. Another vacant tower restored baby!

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

Old 01-31-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Construction has started on the new luxury Hilton Tapestry hotel downtown Birmingham. It is going to be in the historic Commerce Center building at 1st Ave N and Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. Another vacant tower restored baby!

Should be similar to the Elyton in terms of quality. Article also mentioned a lobby bar & restaurant and a 2nd bar "on the lower level." Maybe they mean a 2nd bar at the Morris Ave street level? There might be potential for roof top space too.

Has anyone heard an update on the when the city plans to start work replacing the 21st St viaduct? That new bridge should be an aesthetic enhancement.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post

will be nice to see the lights back on this one. only thing i don't care for about the commerce center is that it's a fortress at the street level, especially on the richard arrington side. not much interaction with the street.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:31 PM

February 1st, 2020 Updates:

(sorry for the poor image quality)

American Life Building

Brown Marx

Mercantile on Morris

The Dabny

Commerce Center

Ascend

Avenue A

UAB Dorm

Bakers Row II

Foundry

Daniel Parkside Development

The Dewberry Building

Lakeview Green

A lot of dirt being moved and cranes being put up. Looking forward to some of these starting to come out of the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area