U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 01:57 PM

247 posts, read 87,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Essentially once Southtown gets razed later in the year to clear the way for multi-use development, it's going to be a great time to own property in the surrounding area.
I would say it is already a great time to own property in that area. Properties have been selling more frequently and increasing in value over the last year or more in anticipation of Southtown redevelopment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 01:57 PM

1,433 posts, read 921,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
If the City zoning / Design Review Committee is worth anything, they need to get fully on board on this and make sure this nine story deck actually looks decent with lighting / facade and even push hard that the street level should include retail spots.
i do hope the 1st Ave N side at the very least has some retail or ground floor amenities.

however, a good case study is the deck that was built several years ago at 21st St and 4th Ave N. it's had a vacant retail storefront since day one.

i do think this proposed one, however, is a much better location for a tenant.

Last edited by TimCity2000; 02-10-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 02:08 PM

212 posts, read 89,146 times
UAB is also spending $8.5M on a new practice facility for men's & women's basketball.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...t-for-new.html

It'll be a renovation of Wallace Gym at the corner of 6th Ave S and 13th St S. The article only has an interior rendering, but my understanding is the exterior will be updated to a more modern look as well.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i do hope the 1st Ave N side at the very least has some retail or ground floor amenities.

however, a good case study is the deck at was built several years ago at 21st St and 4th Ave N. it's had a vacant retail storefront since day one.

i do think this proposed one, however, is a much better location for a tenant.
Truthfully I feel like that vacant retail storefront can probably be blamed on the incompetent Birmingham Parking Authority.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM

1,157 posts, read 899,542 times
According to a BBJ article, a parking deck downtown could get an expansion..

An existing parking deck in the midst of several high-profile developments downtown may make way for an even bigger one. Ascent Hospitality Management, the Georgia company behind the Elyton Hotel, is proposing a new nine-story parking deck at the Allright Parking Deck at the corner of First Avenue and 19th Street North. The address is 1901 First Ave. N.

An entity tied to the company purchased the deck in a deal that also included the nearby Brown-Marx Tower in 2018.
Birmingham-based Fifth Dimension Architecture & Interiors is the designer on the new parking deck project. Developer John Tampa said the plan calls for 850 parking spaces that will accommodate the Elyton, The Yard restaurant in that hotel, and the adjacent Fairfield Inn & Suites, as well as future projects.

Tampa said the new deck would only be open to patrons of the hotels and restaurant at this time. He declined to comment on plans for the future projects at this time.Tampa is currently stabilizing the Brown-Marx Tower — one of the historic towers on Birmingham’s “Heaviest Corner on Earth,” that is located across the street from the Elyton and a block away from the planned parking deck.

The parking deck sits on the site that formerly housed The Morris, a hotel building that also historically served as the headquarters for Birmingham Trust & Savings Co. The building was demolished in 1958 to make way for the Allright Parking deck.The property is central to several major developments. In addition to the hotels and John Hand building, the deck neighbors Jemison Flats, The Pizitz and the Powell Avenue Steam plant across the tracks by Railroad Park.

The proposed project comes at a time when Birmingham struggles to provide adequate parking as new developments over the past decade continue to draw more activity downtown. The city’s parking deck stock also is beginning to age as historic preservation experts say the Birmingham Parking Authority’s decks two and three may qualify for preservation as they have historical and architectural significance based on the National Register’s criteria.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM

yeah, that's the same one magiccity3 posted about a couple of days ago.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 PM

1201 3rd Ave South. 7 stories. Renderings in the article.

Looks like the entire ground floor is parking, which sucks..

Student housing project in Parkside takes a step forward

Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM

The Citizen

Micro-unit student housing project in Parkside gains approval

6 stories. Is this one new? Don't remember the rendering. I can't keep up..

Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
The Citizen

Micro-unit student housing project in Parkside gains approval

6 stories. Is this one new? Don't remember the rendering. I can't keep up..
The rendering is newer, but this project has been out there awhile. It is this one:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...r-student.html

I think I like the new design more... Creature must be confident in their market reports to bring ~400 rental micro units on at similar times. I'm all for the density, but will be interested how they all fill up over time.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:26 PM

thanks. guess they renamed it to "the citizen"? used to be "canyon lofts"...

i like the new design more as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area