U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM

1,424 posts, read 911,512 times

Advertisements

454' is the height limit downtown (I think...)

Once you cross the tracks, though, the height limit goes away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM

779 posts, read 842,779 times
I would love to see a new high rise in Birmingham. I really think something will come in the next few years. However, I don't think there is any demand for anything as big as you are describing. High rise buildings are very expensive and not worth building unless absolutely necessary. Land in the downtown area is still relatively cheap. I can see a mixed use tower working that includes residential, hotel, office and retail. This is done all the time now.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 PM

463 posts, read 425,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I would love to see a new high rise in Birmingham. I really think something will come in the next few years. However, I don't think there is any demand for anything as big as you are describing. High rise buildings are very expensive and not worth building unless absolutely necessary. Land in the downtown area is still relatively cheap. I can see a mixed use tower working that includes residential, hotel, office and retail. This is done all the time now.
Yeah, I agree that 50 stories would be a bit too much. Forty stories would be ideal for me, I liked the Highland Tower size though. I believe building within that range would be best if "across the tracks" means I risk losing the mountain/hilll views.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:15 AM

I do wish our skyline didn't look so dated. Our 2 tallest scream 1980s/1990s. And while I love the classic turn of the century buildings (at least when they're renovated and lit up... ahem, Brown Marx), we need more steel and glass.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:45 AM

463 posts, read 425,175 times
I wouldn't mind a very creative architecturally, designed building or two or three. I'd just be a bit worried how they would fit in if located within the Central Business District. Perhaps, they'd be a better fit within the Parkside District. Charlotte has a few nicely designed buildings in which we might take note.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM

2,959 posts, read 2,785,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I do wish our skyline didn't look so dated. Our 2 tallest scream 1980s/1990s. And while I love the classic turn of the century buildings (at least when they're renovated and lit up... ahem, Brown Marx), we need more steel and glass.
Yeah... really the only modern looking building on our Skyline is the new Children's Hospital, and I suppose also the Social Security building... though from the angles I typically view the city from, I don't really have much of a vantage point of it.

But when you are a city that hasn't added a building over 10 stories in a quarter century, of course the skyline is going to look dated.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM

11,787 posts, read 14,768,010 times
Getting the Leer and the Pizitz lit back up will help quite a bit as well.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:35 PM

389 posts, read 413,824 times
One modern glass 350-400 fter, a la the Pinnacle Building in Nashville, would give the skyline some staying power. One of the constant compliments from visitors is the preservation -- for better or worse -- of our older buildings. I think we're lucky to have them, and the prevailing Chicagoan style gives them an enduring aesthetic.

We don't have noteworthy height, but our density is quite decent. Truly makes the CBD feel larger than our floor count may indicate. If we are to get another building down there, I would hope it is placed in the block between the Wells Fargo tower and City Federal -- filling that gap would give the skyline a satisfying cohesion.

The Highland Tower will look awesome against Red Mountain from the CBD. Will have shades of what is so neat about looking out from downtown LA upon the northern hills and seeing all the urban development dotting the slope. But we need that kind of architecture in the CBD, and I believe we'll see it eventually.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,768,010 times
Yeah I agree, we've mentioned this before. I don't care and realistically understand that a much much taller building is not feasible or in demand, but that a similarly tall tower to what we already have between the CBD and midtown would be a lot better and aesthetically pleasing.

I would not be surprised if Grandview and Perimiter Park start to build upwards because of limited space but high demand.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 PM

definitely agree about infill between city federal and wells fargo.

also, liberty national and bbva compass could use some company south of the tracks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area