Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
I agree with Steve insofar as accessibility to the BJCC and Uptown is concerned. And to Preguntas' point, I wonder if feasibility necessitated the BJCC at that location, interstate notwithstanding. Our new linear urban park, the successor to RailRoad, is the Rotary.
I think it did. The "dome" was and is now billed as an expansion of the BJCC. Not a replacement. Even if that turns out to be sleight of hand or fancy wordspeak to sneak it past those who just oppose any and all development of its sort - it just has to be adjacent to what we have now. You've got the biggest hotel in the state right there (Sheraton), arguably the nicest hotel in the state right there (Westin) and now Uptown. So unless they were going to duplicate all that out near the airport or shuttle people to and from there to somewhere else - the new facility has to go where it can support and benefit from those current businesses.

Now, if a mysterious benefactor shows up and decides to build a billion dollar world class facility right there which would make the BJCC/Legacy arena look like dookie on a stick and they decide to implode it because it has the capacity needed to do everything it did plus 100% more...then I don't think anyone of the backers would complain about that either and I'm sure there were plans b, c, d, e for just such a contingency.

I don't think 20/59 bridges were ever really a major threat or consideration, just a minor concern depending on how bad and how long ALDOT was going to tear the area up getting their freak on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
You have the red area marked as "dome" but if I understand correctly, the 20/59 project that ALDOT is about to move forward with will be turning 11th Avenue North into a major artery of getting traffic from 20/59 into downtown. If that plan goes through, there is no way they can build that facility where you have it. Maybe a block or two north or something. But that would be most unfortunate to have that facility cut off from the rest of the BJCC and Uptown.

This was the plan in 2013. Perhaps that is off the board, but that's what I thought was going to happen.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:08 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
ALDOT went back to the board after the meeting with BJCC in the time frame you mention.

Also the 'commercial area' he has marked to the west is designated as a Federal office park and parking for BJCC. (FBI AND FDT)

Old 06-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Plus, they are still actively grabbing up property around there.

BJCCA purchases property near Uptown district - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM

401 posts, read 535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Also the 'commercial area' he has marked to the west is designated as a Federal office park and parking for BJCC. (FBI AND FDT)
The entirety of that yellow circle? The blocks closest to the BJCC are either vacant or with starving, bombed out businesses. What a shame if those are unavailable. The location couldn't be more ideal, even if we're just erecting a second entertainment row strictly for the BJCC. I'm probably way off base with all of this, on the property availability, on the interest of building on those lots.

However, what makes city convention space successful is a host facility immediately surrounded by other development, walkable within 3-5 min. Those blocks north of the interstate bridge provide the perfect setting for a "convention district" - what Uptown is providing, but on a larger scale. I would hope that someone else with some clout has recognized the repurpose potential.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
ALDOT went back to the board after the meeting with BJCC in the time frame you mention.

yea that side of the bjcc more than likely is off limit since it the headquarters for the birmingham's federal departments of the FBI, DEA, and ATF which been there no more than 2 years max. so i doubt they demolish brand new buildings for a expansion of uptown that direction. i dont think any expansion anytime soon until the 20/59 is finished. what would be cool is using the space under it once completed as expansion with bars/resturants along that entire strip.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
what would be cool is using the space under it once completed as expansion with bars/resturants along that entire strip.
Yeah, I had that very same thought the last time I drove through there. If they won't let anybody park under there ever again it could be turned into some sort of entertainment row of bars or kitschy type shops that would help increase the foot traffic. Doesn't have to be as glamorous as the rest of uptown but marketed towards the urban crowd.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
The entirety of that yellow circle? The blocks closest to the BJCC are either vacant or with starving, bombed out businesses. What a shame if those are unavailable. The location couldn't be more ideal, even if we're just erecting a second entertainment row strictly for the BJCC. I'm probably way off base with all of this, on the property availability, on the interest of building on those lots.

However, what makes city convention space successful is a host facility immediately surrounded by other development, walkable within 3-5 min. Those blocks north of the interstate bridge provide the perfect setting for a "convention district" - what Uptown is providing, but on a larger scale. I would hope that someone else with some clout has recognized the repurpose potential.

As pointed out there are new Federal buildings on that property. Too big to miss driving by.

The parking lots and older buildings are almost entirely owned by BJCC and the parking is used but the land will most likely be developed into a parking deck with retail space below in the future.

However, last year a new hotel was proposed for that same property. At any rate BJCC has smartly snatched up all the land around them for the near and not so near future. (I believe the most recent purchase was the Salvation Army property which is more than likely for future dome parking.)

Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 PM

If anyone has subscriber access to the BBJ, I think they've got an article up right now that gives the rundown on the I-20/59 latest. Be a dear and link or give a short summary.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:20 PM

I'm starting to side with the Rethink camp. Interesting read.

ALDOT's 20/59 plan: How other metros are addressing their elevated urban interstates - Birmingham Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area