Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times

Advertisements

It isn't.

From dictionary dot com:

Quote:
adjective
1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics:
Houston and the Cape says, "Hi."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 01:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It isn't.

From dictionary dot com:
and then by that same token, birmingham has nothing that is unique.

...but of course you conveniently left off this definition:

not typical; unusual:

...So when someone says "unique" it doesn't have to be a singular thing...

...In other words... I am right. You are wrong. What's new?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
and then by that same token, birmingham has nothing that is unique.

...but of course you conveniently left off this definition:

not typical; unusual:

...So when someone says "unique" it doesn't have to be a singular thing...

...In other words... I am right. You are wrong. What's new?
No, in other words you are just dipping in the Kool-Aid and don't know the flavor as usual.

She asked if Birmingham had any attractions that were unique. Everything we've talked about she said wasn't unique and could be found in another city. Then she said Huntsville has something unique in the Space and Rocket center. Which isn't unique. It isn't 1/1. So if someone wants to get cute and shoot down everything B'ham has to offer as not being special enough to pass muster in their eyes to support some little passive aggressive agenda they have, they need to be informed that where they live is no special snowflake either. She's the one who first used the word "unique." She's the one who moved the goalposts around. Go bark at her, or continue to lie about what I've said - whatever works best for you. That's the bottom line, Steve.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
No, in other words you are just dipping in the Kool-Aid and don't know the flavor as usual.

She asked if Birmingham had any attractions that were unique. Everything we've talked about she said wasn't unique and could be found in another city. Then she said Huntsville has something unique in the Space and Rocket center. Which isn't unique. It isn't 1/1. So if someone wants to get cute and shoot down everything B'ham has to offer as not being special enough to pass muster in their eyes to support some little passive aggressive agenda they have, they need to be informed that where they live is no special snowflake either. That's the bottom line, Steve.
First of all, TN2HSV conceded that Barber's was unique. Despite it not being the only motorsports museum in the country.

But let's delve a little deeper, just for fun...

There is not a space & rocket center in Cape Canaveral (Kennedy Space Center) or Houston (Johnson Space Center). There is only one space and rocket center. It is located in Huntsville and perhaps that is why it is called the U.S. Space & Rocket Center... because it is the only one on the country.

See... I can get hung up on semantics too!

Get over it. Barber's is unique. The Space & Rocket Center is unique. Most of the attractions discussed are not unique, whether it's a zoo, botanical garden, theater, park, art museum, brewery, music/food/arts festival, etc.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
First of all, TN2HSV conceded that Barber's was unique. Despite it not being the only motorsports museum in the country.

But let's delve a little deeper, just for fun...

There is not a space & rocket center in Cape Canaveral (Kennedy Space Center) or Houston (Johnson Space Center). There is only one space and rocket center. It is located in Huntsville and perhaps that is why it is called the U.S. Space & Rocket Center... because it is the only one on the country.

See... I can get hung up on semantics too!
You get hung up on a lot of things. However, no one in their right mind would take anything from the above seriously. They have rockets on display in all 3 of them. Ha ha.

Quote:
Get over it. Barber's is unique. The Space & Rocket Center is unique. Most of the attractions discussed are not unique, whether it's a zoo, botanical garden, theater, park, art museum, brewery, music/food/arts festival, etc.
I realize you need to hang on to this because its all you got left. I didn't bring the word unique into the discussion as a qualifier. She did. I even posted the thread where it all started. But you are so eager to try to 1-up me you have to ignore that because its the core of your strawman...I mean "point."

First she wanted know if Birmingham had ANY attractions worth seeing. I told her what they were.
Then she says, "Oh no, I meant unique ones." You, know - goalpost moving. I gave her what I think are special ones. She concludes all of that can be found elsewhere, except Barber's - "if you like motorcycles." So I guess there's that. The slogan should be, "Come to Birmingham, if you like motorcycles and only after you've seen the 1 and only HSV Space and Rocket Center."

Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You get hung up on a lot of things. However, no one in their right mind would take anything from the above seriously. They have rockets on display in all 3 of them. Ha ha.

I realize you need to hang on to this because its all you got left. I didn't bring the word unique into the discussion as a qualifier. She did. I even posted the thread where it all started. But you are so eager to try to 1-up me you have to ignore that because its the core of your strawman...I mean "point."
Have you admitted that the Space & Rocket Center is as unique as anything Birmingham has to offer? That is the point. Either Birmingham offers nothing that is unique or you admit that the Space & Rocket Center is unique. Your decision, really. Doesn't matter to me... just depends on how strict of a definition you want to use for "unique".

Old 07-01-2015, 02:12 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,039 times
The "degree" of uniqueness seems to depend on whatever agenda someone is pushing.

I guess no one from Alabama should ever go to Hawaii, or Puerto Rico or anywhere else that has a beach. We have Gulf Shores. Same thing.

Tourian seems to have a deep-seated hatred for HSV and Northern Ala.....excuse me....Tennessee Valley. So, by proxy, he dislikes me and anything I say just b/c I happen to live here. I'm not even from here!

What happened? Did you apply for some jobs here and didn't get hired? Did the love of your life leave you for someone who was from HSV? Seriously......you've got a lot of anger toward any part of the state that isn't B'ham, and especially HSV.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Have you admitted that the Space & Rocket Center is as unique as anything Birmingham has to offer? That is the point. Either Birmingham offers nothing that is unique or you admit that the Space & Rocket Center is unique. Your decision, really. Doesn't matter to me... just depends on how strict of a definition you want to use for "unique".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
What happened? Did you apply for some jobs here and didn't get hired? Did the love of your life leave you for someone who was from HSV? Seriously......you've got a lot of anger toward any part of the state that isn't B'ham, and especially HSV.
These posts reek of desperation. The fact that you have to beg me to answer one of your dumb questions to help you prove a strawman lie, or have to make up disparaging remarks about my person shows that we're done here.

Quote:
Sloss Furnaces is a National Historic Landmark in Birmingham, Alabama in the United States. It operated as a pig iron-producing blast furnace from 1882 to 1971. After closing it became one of the first industrial sites (and the only blast furnace) in the U.S. to be preserved and restored for public use. In 1981 the furnaces were designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior.
Yeah, I'd call that unusual, and out of the ordinary. Throw in a few ghosts and it's a great place for music and food festivals and Halloween events.

Quote:
The Vulcan statue is the largest cast iron statue in the world, and is the city symbol of Birmingham, Alabama, reflecting its roots in the iron and steel industry. The 56-foot (17 m) tall statue depicts the Roman god Vulcan, god of the fire and forge. It was created as Birmingham's entry for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition (1904 World's Fair) in St. Louis, Missouri. The statue is the world's largest iron-ore statue, and among the nation's tallest.
Yep, also unusual - notworthy, exceptional. Of course, there's enough press about him and his park.

Quote:
The Alabama Theatre is a movie palace in Birmingham, Alabama. It was built in 1927 by Paramount's Publix Theatre chain as its flagship theater for the southeastern region of the United States. Seating 2,500 people at the time, it was the largest in the Birmingham Theatre district. The district was once home to a myriad of large theaters that featured vaudeville, performing arts, nickelodeons, and large first-run movie palaces. The Alabama is the only district theater still operating today. Built to show silent films, the Alabama still features its original Wurlitzer theater organ. Other than the Alabama, the Lyric Theatre is the only theater still standing in the district. The Alabama and its historic organ were added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on February 15, 1977 and to the National Register of Historic Places on November 13, 1979. The theater has been surveyed by the Historic American Buildings Survey on several occasions, the last time being in 1996
Also cool, unusual, special. Can't find these types of places everywhere. And the Lyric isn't even online yet.

Last edited by Tourian; 07-01-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 PM

From the examples you have posted, you are clearly in agreement that the space and rocket center is unique. Thanks.

P.S.... if you were half as smart as you thought you were, you'd be twice as smart as you actually are.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC View Post
I just want to comment and say that video is too cool. I think the city should commit to more advertising like this. The shots plus the music are right on, and afterwords its just makes you want to go to Bham.
Oops, forgot to respond to this... Yes, totally agree. Especially twenty seconds in when the beat drops and the fireworks go off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area