Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 AM

170 posts, read 140,184 times

Advertisements

I have had an MRI but two doctors here in Huntsville have given very wishy-washy diagnoses of the results. I'm leery of signing up for surgery with 6 weeks of recovery on a "maybe".

Can anyone recommend a good orthopedic surgeon who can do arthroscopic hip surgery in Birmingham?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Dr. Andrews and Dr. Lemak are the famous ones. Pro athletes from all over come to see them. But other than them I'm sure there are plenty down here that have experience and expertise way better than you'll find any where else in the state.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:43 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
They have a center for this field at St. Vincent's started by the above doctors. Call St. Vincent's and get a referral to that department and see about having your MRI results sent to them in advance so that they can give you the best and educated suggestion for your condition.
I use Neurology next door and they are the best. (and have taken care of my condition without surgery and repeated treatments of any kind.

In this field you are wise to question opinions and wait to get answers that ring with validity.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM

170 posts, read 140,184 times
Thanks SO MUCH for the input guys. I am definitely going to look into these folks and see if they can at least look at my MRI.

When my first doctor looked at the results, he was like, "Well, it could be a small labrum tear, but I don't do the arthroscopic surgery anyway so I am going to send you to our other partner." So I go to see the other partner (who is brand new to the practice, by the way - I'm almost getting the feeling I'm being "passed off"), he said, "Well, it looks like it could be labrum tear but there is this ligament that runs down your torso to your groin. Then he pressed down on my knee while I tried to raise my knee. I said, "That doesn't hurt" and he was like, "Oh. Well, I guess it could be a labrum tear."

I was thinking the MRI would be a lot more definitive, and I'm definitely not instilled with confidence by the diagnoses so far.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Dr. Poczatek. St. Vincent's NEUROLOGICAL ASSOCIATES.

It appears you have missed this step with the doctors you have seen. They are trying to suggest a treatment without first determining the source of the problem. An MRI alone does not always accomplish that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area