Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,347 times

Advertisements

Mr. Shadix is being welcomed tonight by members of the Bessemer Historical Homeowners Association. His most memorable role was in Tim Burtons movie "Beetlejuice" where he played the Interior Decorator. Here is a link to his site.

GlennShadix.com - The Official Website of Glenn Shadix

Mr. Shadix bought the Stevenson Home cira 1895

The home at 1925 Dartmouth Avenue is listed in the South Bessemer Inventory as the G.H. Stevenson House. This beautiful Queen Ann house with distinguishing two-storey corner turret and conical cap is standout in the neighborhood.
It has a high, clipped pyramidal roof with front-facing gabled cutaway bay, and smaller porch entry gable; ell and wrapping porch supported by round columns; vinyl siding over original double teardrop boards on brick foundation; various decorative wood shingling in gable faces and on turret; windows 1-over-1 sash, and one bay window of a large single light with overlight. Large flat-profile interior chimneys, unusual for this style house, now stuccoed.
Commonly believed to have been built by G.H. Stevenson, superintendent of the Bessemer Water Works; but one source notes that he bought the property from E. E. Vining in 1904. In any case, like so many others, he lost his house in the Depression.
The previous owners, Don and Jane Errett have done a beutiful job restoring the home.

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 PM

169 posts, read 550,276 times
thats a sweet looking house HB. i learned the carpenter trade working on houses like that back in the early 60s.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Welcome home! I thought he was great in Beetlejuice and enjoyed his work in Demolition Man. I'm also happy to see him involved at ASFA - that place is one of the secret treasures of the State - my sister went there for ballet.

Quote:
Mr. Shadix bought the Stevenson Home circa 1895
I bet he got a deal if he bought it in 1895

Sorry HB, couldn't help myself... Seriously great house - I love turrets.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:41 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
I visited your town when I lived in AL about 8 years ago, and liked many things about the area. Next time you are having lunch at the Bright Star restaurant, maybe you'll have a celebrity sighting.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I bet he got a deal if he bought it in 1895

Sorry HB, couldn't help myself... Seriously great house - I love turrets.

hahahaha

I got to meet Mr. Shadix Saturday night! Nice guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area