Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 09:32 PM

401 posts, read 536,412 times

Advertisements

Birmingham 2025: What's in store for the Magic City?

Featured in this evening's nightly news. I have not been able to watch the entire segment (27 min), and one must absolutely temper expectations when this city's officials make any sort of promises, but nevertheless it is clear that the idea for sustaining momentum is on everyone's mind.

Some topics covered: pro sports, dome / downtown stadium, light rail / transportation, entertainment, crime

Us, and I mean most of the posters on this forum, will always have the loftiest vision possible of Birmingham's future. That's a good thing. But I have to remind myself every now and then to appreciate what comes to pass vs. what my expectations are. We've made incredible strides, and if any number of the concepts addressed in the video come to fruition, this city is going to be so very special by 2025.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEU5a7ZT208

Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Yeah I'm all about the major headline stuff like new development, jobs, transportation etc, but I really hope they follow through with the plans to give Ensley and Pratt City their own little "RR parks" to build on. Having some development around the Crossplex is important too - but it is important I think at this stage to really spread the love around and show that the city isn't just focused on revitalizing downtown.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:54 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah I'm all about the major headline stuff like new development, jobs, transportation etc, but I really hope they follow through with the plans to give Ensley and Pratt City their own little "RR parks" to build on. Having some development around the Crossplex is important too - but it is important I think at this stage to really spread the love around and show that the city isn't just focused on revitalizing downtown.
Exactly, city center-oriented redevelopment is only one part of the revitalization puzzle. The purpose of the creation of REV Birmingham is to combine the former Main Street Birmingham concept with the former Operation New Birmingham downtown initiative. Hopefully, the City can work in serious collaboration with REV Birmingham to get these proposals off the ground since the Railroad Park has been quite successful.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM

Agreed. Very keen on what Woodlawn's / Bessemer's / Ensley's / East Lake's / Norwood's role is going to be in the big picture.

After watching the segment, a few comments that stuck out to me:

-"I've been in contact with NBA officials" (mayor Bell). Fingers have always been crossed on this one, and will likely always be crossed.

-Light rail is "one of the possibilities we're looking into for 2025. There will be a BRT, and a PRT -- that's 'Private Rapid Transit' and what that entails is very exciting" (mayor bell). Vague to say the least. I want to believe he's hinting at a full scale light rail that would service the downtown area, but who knows. I don't know what to make of "PRT". But I tell you this, if anything is in the realm of possibility, it would be a CBD <-> Med District rail, as well as a Midtown <-> Lakeview line. That's not an unreasonable distance to cover with a system.

-There was a mention of new skyscrapers being part of the master plan for the next 10 years. While I'm not convinced at all that that would ever mean 600-700 footers going up downtown, what I do foresee is UAB (which was the implied driver of the possible new tower(s)) putting up one or two 300-400 footer(s) in the next 10 years.

-The dome seems to be officially off the table, and I'm pissed about it in light of having it dangled in front of us for the last few years. There was a groundbreaking. There were multiple renderings. There was sound reasoning behind needing a sports facility + convention space. There seemed to be corporate interest. There was talk of high profile college games and MLS chatter. They teased and teased, and now they've let me down. I better REALLY love the open-air stadium and BJCC makeover, or I'm taking my talents to . . . oh who am I kidding, I'm not going anywhere.

-Perhaps THE mot intriguing comments were made about this mysterious new software company they're courting to come to Birmingham. Should it happen, that can either be a good thing, OR it can be game-changer. We've been glamouring for new industry in downtown, but if this potential is at the scale that they seem to be hinting at, then it'll bring in a new big-time corporate anchor to the CBD and spur an incredible amount of growth with it. I don't put a lot of stock in Mayor Bell being in-the-know on the tech economic landscape, but nevertheless I appreciate his grounded view that steel is dead, service has sustained us, but we should be focused on becoming a tech town if we want to have a bright future.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:42 PM

To your points.

- Yeah he spoke directly about NBA which I and others think is the most plausible possibility of the four major sports. He ruled out the NFL, which is understandable, but seemed to imply a farm league coming about. Probably something totally different then the defunct never launched NAFL and MLF leagues.

- i dont know what PRT is. I pictured a bunch of George Jetson bubbles sliding along in tubes all over the city and everyone can be alone when they commute. They have said the BRT would be designed so that it could be converted to rail later so at least that makes sense.

- yeah with UAB wanting to grow like they are and adding 2-3 more schools they are going to have to go up rather than out so i think he is saying that is where these new towers would be spawned. No super talls.

- when asked he said we would have a dome. Just building an open air that has provisions for adding a roof would be fine. Im at peace with that.

- that along with Sunrise were mentioned. I wonder what the software company was that was rumored to be coming before was and if it is the same one or if not either way it is a huge deal if they can land it.

All that with UAB building a technology park in the city is great too. There's no reason this city cant compete for some of the same industry and jobs that other tech cities strive for.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Mayor Bell also pointed out that there are at least four hotel project currently u/c, and mentioned that he has heard from several developers that there will be "3 or 4" more "in the coming 24 months". Here's hoping that one or two of those will be signature designs.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 PM

Oh yeah...will have to have a 5 star to compete for a national convention. A "W" coming up in Uptown would be awesome. Or a new Sheraton built bigger and taller and rebrand the old Sheraton as one of Starwoods' lesser flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area