Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:33 AM

841 posts, read 824,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
I'm confused by your comment concerning the South Highlands potential not being fulfilled. The past ten years has seen residential development (such as Abbey Road) that no one would have ever dreamed, and more. Have you not been there in a long time.
I'm thinking more of the areas south of UAB and going up the mountain. That area doesn't seem much different than when I lived there, but, no, I don't pass through there often. Such a cool area, though, with lots of old homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I'm thinking more of the areas south of UAB and going up the mountain. That area doesn't seem much different than when I lived there, but, no, I don't pass through there often. Such a cool area, though, with lots of old homes.

Yes, that is the area I refer to also. In a glance one might not see the difference but there actually is quite a lot. Uncountable older homes are being gentrified as well as significant amount of new single family construction. (over half million price range) The decay you may have found in your time is no more. The area at lower elevation has stabilized and well into a complete turn around. The area has a great urban texture.
Higher up along Arrington Blvd. there are a couple of mid-rise apts. that could use renewal or replacement, but are not derelict. Everything south of Tenth Ave. So. has proven to be very good for investment. It is a solidly residential area. Commercial is bounded by Tenth.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Yes, that is the area I refer to also. In a glance one might not see the difference but there actually is quite a lot. Uncountable older homes are being gentrified as well as significant amount of new single family construction. (over half million price range) The decay you may have found in your time is no more. The area at lower elevation has stabilized and well into a complete turn around. The area has a great urban texture.
Higher up along Arrington Blvd. there are a couple of mid-rise apts. that could use renewal or replacement, but are not derelict. Everything south of Tenth Ave. So. has proven to be very good for investment. It is a solidly residential area. Commercial is bounded by Tenth.
That's good to know. Maybe we need some rezoning south of Tenth!

I tend to think of places like this along 18th Avenue South with great views of the city and valley, yet the housing is pretty standard and nothing special. But I don't know anything about zoning laws, and I suppose buying out these properties for commercial development might not be profitable. But it would be great to have restaurants, bars, etc. with outdoor seating overlooking the city lights.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 PM

That type of building from the sixties/seventies are considered a curse in Glen Iris Park and Idlewild Hills. Fortunately, they will eventually be replaced with developments such as Abbey Road. (on Arrington, under Vulcan)

Commercial will not be allowed in those neighborhoods. Having and restoring substantial single family neighborhoods is a prime goal in all cities. However bringing residential into business areas is what the current gentrification of the center city is all about.

Last edited by preguntas; 01-12-2016 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 06:14 AM

This is my old apartment complex. It was called Mountainside when I lived there from 1988-1989, now called Red Mountain Villas. The views were incredible, especially at night. And for $285 per month! LOL. I'm sure this is still a very affordable complex (hopefully safe). It was a great workout to walk up the mountain from UAB to my apartment.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:56 PM

It shames me to admit that my family built some of these complexes. (even on Cliff Road) But what did people know in the sixties, and I guess there just was no zoning. (some of the houses that were torn down, I can't think about it; but I was young and did not know)

Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 804 times
Those apartments house a lot of memories lol

Old 01-23-2016, 07:26 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,461,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I feel like one of Birmingham's best attributes is its natural setting, but I don't think the city takes enough advantage of it. We have beautiful ridge and valley views and beautiful dense woods. I know things are improving with the advent of Red Mountain Park and the trail systems being built, but wouldn't it be great to have nice restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. sitting atop Red Mountain and Shades Mountain and providing beautiful views of the area? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are too many places like this where one can have dinner or a drink and look out over the city lights at night or the wooded hills and valleys during the day.

I would even say that Birmingham has one of the most beautiful settings for a Southeastern city, and I wish we made better use of this asset!
I agree with you that Birmingham (and areas north) are beautiful. Chattanooga has done an excellent job of using their city's beauty to full effect. But it also helps that they have a river running through downtown.

Birmingham has done a great job of making downtown (especially near UAB) very nice and appealing. But the outlying suburbs have a lot of potential also. Sort of like Atlanta's northern suburbs are a huge part of its appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area