Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,670,076 times

Advertisements

It bears stating that the bill to block cities from being able to set their own minimum wage is led by David Faulkner a R rep from Mountain Brook.

Trip Pittman a R rep from Daphne is the guy who wants to stop the historic tax credit which again benefits more than just Birmingham but admittedly has been the a major catalyst for downtown's revival.

I think both of these acts are just typical conservative republican policy that just happens to affect Birmingham the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
What statements did I make that were not opinion(which I offered very little of) are not correct?
The TRIP report embedded in the story in this link shows that several of the top 20 projects that need attention are in the Birmingham area. And among those are widening peojects for 65 into Shelby co.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201..._releases.html

Last edited by Tourian; 02-13-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 11:01 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,737,162 times
Sad that the 50 projects that need to be completed the most could all be done for less than the Northern Beltline, but alas that is not how funding works.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The ARC clearly shows that it has been planned and budgeted for.
Wrong. The currently budgeted portion includes just the current proposal which does NOT include the connection between Argo and Moody. That will likely be another $1B

Old 02-13-2016, 11:36 AM

508 posts, read 609,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Justin - raising the minimum wage isn't progress. A general rule is that if you tax something you get less of it - in this case taxing labor results in fewer jobs. If you're still thinking of running for Governor as a Republican, get your thinking right. To put it in perspective for you, progressive GOP President Richard Nixon raised the minimum wage (one of the many wrong-headed things he did).
It's either raise the minimum wage or stop taxing people under a certain wage/pay.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Wrong. The currently budgeted portion includes just the current proposal which does NOT include the connection between Argo and Moody. That will likely be another $1B
That's irrelevant Steve and it isn't wrong. I do not care if the current total talked about only includes going from 59 to 459. I don't care if it costs 80B to go from 59 to 20. ARC and ALDOT have plans to go to 20. That's all I have claimed and exactly what I have proved. Period bottom line.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:57 PM

lol @ Tourian.

It isn't budgeted for because the feasibility study that will determine how much it will cost hasn't even been completed. Period. Bottom line.

You wrong. Me right. Same story, different day.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:07 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,390,382 times
Justin - citizens under a certain income aren't taxed on income, or even worse (from my perspective) they are paid (income tax credit). IMO every citizen should pay taxes (at a flat rate), except gov't payments should not be taxed.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,324,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Justin - citizens under a certain income aren't taxed on income, or even worse (from my perspective) they are paid (income tax credit). IMO every citizen should pay taxes (at a flat rate), except gov't payments should not be taxed.

And perhaps we should go back to mandatory education. I know supposedly we still have that, but is it enforced, obviously not.

If people were forced to attend school (even lock down), we would accomplish lower crime and at least many would be able to sustain jobs that make minimum wage irrelevant to them. Of course those few would be the ones who bother to actually learn while killing time in school.
Over the past fifty years those who struggled for the right to equal education have raised kids who decided that school wasn't cool for them.

This society needs some discipline.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
lol @ Tourian.

It isn't budgeted for because the feasibility study that will determine how much it will cost hasn't even been completed. Period. Bottom line.

You wrong. Me right. Same story, different day.
Sorry, caveman. That just doesn't fly since I gave you a link to the ARC proposal.

It also shows that there is a plan. That's 2 wiffs for you in one swing. How'd you manage that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area