Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:34 AM

522 posts, read 846,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It bears stating that the bill to block cities from being able to set their own minimum wage is led by David Faulkner a R rep from Mountain Brook.

Trip Pittman a R rep from Daphne is the guy who wants to stop the historic tax credit which again benefits more than just Birmingham but admittedly has been the a major catalyst for downtown's revival.

I think both of these acts are just typical conservative republican policy that just happens to affect Birmingham the most.
I am all for people who make less to make more, however, it will have an adverse affect on everyone else. Having a slight increase in the minimum wage, is normal and expected. The problem is, the massive increases that some cities will enforce, and leading to the massive increases on other things, for the rest of us.

As far as the historic tax, it will run out at some point, but outsiders need to look at the benefits that some cities are experiencing because of it. Birmingham would have not had such a surge in prosperity, if it wasn't for the historic tax. We would still have been prospering (as our time to shine is here again), but this tax has been such a boost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Sorry, caveman. That just doesn't fly since I gave you a link to the ARC proposal.

It also shows that there is a plan. That's 2 wiffs for you in one swing. How'd you manage that?
So where's the formal proposal? How much is it going to cost? Where are the exits? What is the timeline?

Oh wait, that's right...none of that has been done. Just get over it. You may hope that one day 422 connects to 20, but as of now, there is no plan to do so. If it is feasible, then it will be added to the current plan in the future.

Everyone with 2 eyes can see it. Perhaps a visit to the Henry Peters building is something you should work in to your week.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
I am all for people who make less to make more, however, it will have an adverse affect on everyone else. Having a slight increase in the minimum wage, is normal and expected. The problem is, the massive increases that some cities will enforce, and leading to the massive increases on other things, for the rest of us.

As far as the historic tax, it will run out at some point, but outsiders need to look at the benefits that some cities are experiencing because of it. Birmingham would have not had such a surge in prosperity, if it wasn't for the historic tax. We would still have been prospering (as our time to shine is here again), but this tax has been such a boost.
I think the increase, at least the initial stair step, is what the feds would/should do if they were more proactive. It seems they (Bham) are following along the Fed's own guidelines of keeping up with COL and inflation. So I have to shrug at all the push back because they wouldn't have to worry about getting in fights over it if they just did what they were supposed to already being doing.

If Birmingham wants to charge more for people to come and work and be entertained there with higher prices and higher taxes than so be it. They can try it out and if doesn't work the can repeal it. Same with the HTC. It will one day run its course and can't go on forever. Maybe we have reached the peak of it and there may not be too many viable properties left that would benefit from it anyway. Maybe announcing an end will push some forward that may be on the fence about certain projects.

Steve, you said you didn't know of a plan so I showed you a plan. Now you want to argue about the details of the plan. Move goalposts all you want, I dont care. You asked and I answered. That is all.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Steve, you said you didn't know of a plan so I showed you a plan. Now you want to argue about the details of the plan. Move goalposts all you want, I dont care. You asked and I answered. That is all.
You said there was a proposal. There isn't. There are dozens of places you can look (some of which have been updated in the last 5 years unlike yours) where you can clearly see the ACTUAL proposal stops near Argo.

The feasibility study to connect to 20 hasn't been done. Your claim that there is an estimate of completion within 10 years is completely made up (and laughable).

You just can't ever admit you are wrong. You know that you are wrong but you just cling to one garbage image that is years old. I can show you a "proposal" of the Shepard Center, or an elevated 280... but they aren't current proposals. LOL at you. Go to the optometry center like I said.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Ba ha ha. You need a dictionary.

Definition of proposal...a plan or suggestion.

The words are interchangable. I'm not talking to a civil engineer so don't try to play me that you expect me to lay out more than what i did. That's your way of trying to weasel out of it. Nowhere did I say I was going to provide exit numbers, costs , timelines or any claims of the age of them or any of that. You can go pound sand.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ba ha ha. You need a dictionary.

Definition of proposal...a plan or suggestion.

The words are interchangable. I'm not talking to a civil engineer so don't try to play me that you expect me to lay out more than what i did. That's your way of trying to weasel out of it. Nowhere did I say I was going to provide exit numbers, costs , timelines or any claims of the age of them or any of that. You can go pound sand.
Don't you get it? THERE IS NO PLAN FOR IT. A study has to be done to see if it even makes sense to create a plan.

Does it get any more clear than this:
Current plans for the route have it connecting at I-459's current southern terminus in Bessemer with I-59 at approximately mile marker 147 to the northeast of Trussville near Argo.

And since you think the words are interchangeable you must agree that current plans do NOT include taking it to I-20.

And talking to a civil engineer? It doesn't take talking to a civil engineer to get the information I asked for... if it existed. Which it doesn't. That's the point.

I'm beginning to realize you aren't even worth my pity.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:11 PM

There is a plan/proposal for it with the ARC to receive funding. Right now it is clear the plans for that section are.not as solidified as the rest of the route in Jefferson co. So what? Doesn't mean there's no plan or.no proposal or no projection. You can stick qualifiers on it if you want that doesn't change the fact that there is a plan. You said you hadn't seen a plan for it. You didn't ask for one with a certain date, you hadn't seen one period. Now you have yet you whine and pitch and moan and move goalposts like you always do.

Pity. Ha ha. You have me mistaken for someone else.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
There is a plan/proposal for it with the ARC to receive funding. Right now it is clear the plans for that section are.not as solidified as the rest of the route in Jefferson co. So what? Doesn't mean there's no plan or.no proposal or no projection. You can stick qualifiers on it if you want that doesn't change the fact that there is a plan. You said you hadn't seen a plan for it. You didn't ask for one with a certain date, you hadn't seen one period. Now you have yet you whine and pitch and moan and move goalposts like you always do.

Pity. Ha ha. You have me mistaken for someone else.
Current plans for the route have it connecting at I-459's current southern terminus in Bessemer with I-59 at approximately mile marker 147 to the northeast of Trussville near Argo. You also claimed there is a projected completion date within 10 years. Laughable.

Then again, this is coming from the same person that thinks funding already exists for a half billion dollar plus BJCC multipurpose facility. Comical. We will hear the full plan about that project by the end of the year, right? What year was that again? 2014? or was it 2013?

Old 02-15-2016, 02:21 PM

I said that the eastern leg from 65 is projected to be complete in 10 years. Thats what they claim. Ill believe it when i see it.

You talking about something else is comical. Trying to tuck tail and run to some other off topic discussion while misquoting me is classic bush league steve.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I said that the eastern leg from 65 is projected to be complete in 10 years. Thats what they claim. Ill believe it when i see it.

You talking about something else is comical. Trying to tuck tail and run to some other off topic discussion while misquoting me is classic bush league steve.

So, the eastern leg from 65 is projected to be completed in 10 years. The "eastern leg" would include the connection to 20, now wouldn't it? Oh that's right, it doesn't include that segment because that is not part of the current I-422 proposal.

Tucking tail and running? lol, yeah. Totally got me there. What else am I supposed to say when the plan has been outlined so clearly and the connection to 20 is not currently part of it. I repeat it 10 times and you still don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area