Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM

27 posts, read 26,178 times

Advertisements

Greetings to everyone, my name is Johanna and I live with my husband and 3 kids (4,8,9)

Some time ago I use this forum to guide me relocate from Puerto Rico (Caribbean) to the state of Florida (Tampa). Everything I read helped me make the decision to become a reality. Now 1 year later I live in Tampa and I am very happy with everything we had accomplished so far. My husband and I are teachers and both got jobs in less than 3 months and close to our home.

Two weeks ago we made a trip to Atlanta and we loved the weather and the nature scenery. Here in Florida the only thing we regret is the sun and the weather even though winter is a great refresher. In Atlanta we were at 12:00 md outdoors, it was hot but not as Tampa in the same day.

We are looking to relocate before buying a house here so we can make the right decision, we are not yet fully established in Tampa and we are deciding between: Atlanta, South Carolina and Birmingham. I wonder if the temperature at least in these three places is nice and if it was worth the change. We have read a lot about the three places but that topic related to the weather we could not find it.

I appreciate your time. Blessings to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,900 times
The temperature/weather here in Birmingham will be very similar to Atlanta. The cities are only 2.5 hours apart, similar latitudes (or is it longitude??), neither on a major body of water, etc. It can be suffocating when there is no breeze. I imagine you're used to a more constant breeze in Tampa.

Both cities are also very green.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM

270 posts, read 531,932 times
Come to Birmingham. Many Puerto Ricans love it here.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
I agree with TC2k. The weather between here and ATL is roughly the same. Hot summers, with some times oppressive humidity in June and July. Mostly mild winters. We might get two weeks worth of what the rest of the country considers kind of cold weather, but rarely get measurable snow that lasts more than a day or two. Expect a holiday when it does happen, or the threat of it happens.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:59 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
The weather in all those locations is not significantly different. Tampa is definitely warmer during the winter months, and slightly warmer during the transitional seasons, but the summers in all the locations are about the same.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:47 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Birmingham seems a little wetter than hotlanta. Having lived in both - Atlanta is far worse traffic, but more on the culture circuit than B'ham (although B'ham has improved significantly). I lived in Charlotte for a while as well. Not my cuppa tea. FWIW, B'ham has been hit by a few tornadoes.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:37 AM

27 posts, read 26,178 times
Thanks to all of you for taking of your time. Im deciding right now. Blessings

Old 07-15-2016, 10:44 AM

842 posts, read 828,524 times
What part of South Carolina? The climate varies somewhat from the coast to the inland upstate areas near the coast. As far as major cities, Charleston would be more humid and a bit more miserable during the summer than Atlanta or Birmingham, but the winters are milder. Columbia is a little hotter during the summer (hotter than Charleston, but perhaps a bit less humid... no sea breeze) and slightly milder during the winter. The upstate area (Greenville) would be slightly cooler than Birmingham and probably similar to Atlanta during the summer. I think winters are similar between Birmingham, Atlanta, and the upstate part of South Carolina, although that region of SC will see a little more snow and ice.

Atlanta is slightly cooler than Birmingham during the summer because it is on the Piedmont Plateau and more elevated by a few hundred feet in most places, but it's not different enough to factor into a decision about which of those two cities to pick.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:51 AM

31 posts, read 23,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna Diaz View Post
Thanks to all of you for taking of your time. Im deciding right now. Blessings
Well, I've lived/live in Birmingham (Shelby County/Indian Springs), Atlanta (Marietta and West Cobb), and Tampa (Westchase, North ST Pete, and Clwtr). I have not lived in South Carolina. From personal experience I would not characterize that there is much difference between the weather patterns of Birmingham, or Atlanta at all. I can believe that coastal SC might get far more weather fronts or clashes of temp air masses being right on the Atlantic. I live most of the time now in Tampa Bay, and would never trade the (yearly) weather here in Tampa Bay again for weather in those cities. Are you kidding?

Old 07-16-2016, 07:04 AM

31 posts, read 23,634 times
Also, it's your business, but I would not simply use the barometer of weather alone, to decide to move to places like Birmingham or anywhere else.Birmingham especially is nothing like Tampa as you might know. Weather considerations would be among the least of factors to examine.I mean, nobody presently living in Tampa Florida is really driven to move to places like Birmingham or Atlanta for "the weather".I hope that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area