Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 07:56 AM

450 posts, read 336,480 times

Advertisements

That's the right call. Birmingham can make a more positive impression on visitors with Protective Stadium, renovated Legacy Arena, CityWalk BHM, and maybe a completed BRT - not to mention all the other various downtown development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 08:03 AM

346 posts, read 265,392 times
I'm not sure who this can be contributed to, maybe Mayor Woodfin, but it is refreshing to hear positive comments related to Birmingham entities on the world stage:

“A great deal of detailed work is now required to implement this decision, and further progress reports will be issued in due course,” says IWGA President José Perurena. “But I am impressed by the flexibility and efficiency of the Birmingham Organising Committee: they have been able, in just two days after the IOC’s announcement, to get all the main organisational items in place.”

IWGA CEO Joachim Gossow says: “I am very proud of the capable organising team in Birmingham. All organisational main pillars such as venues and accommodation are in place for 2022, and we are able to have exactly the same sports programme as we had planned for 2021. We look forward to working together with the chairman Jonathan Porter, his CEO Nick Sellers and their team to organise the best possible Games for our athletes.”

IMO things like that get noticed for when big events come in the future.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
definitely will be a good thing if protective stadium is used (which i assume it will be).

i feel like i haven't heard anything on the BRT lately.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
definitely will be a good thing if protective stadium is used (which i assume it will be).

i feel like i haven't heard anything on the BRT lately.
This was the last info on it:

https://www.al.com/news/2019/12/birm...-now-2022.html

Old 04-06-2020, 05:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
https://www.al.com/news/2020/04/work...furloughs.html

The top 2 biggest construction company in birmingham doing both project. B&G doing the stadium and B.L. Harbert doing the arena.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://www.al.com/news/2020/04/work...furloughs.html

The top 2 biggest construction company in birmingham doing both project. B&G doing the stadium and B.L. Harbert doing the arena.
I'm worried that they haven't released interior renderings of Legacy Arena yet. Hope it's not underwhelming. They seemed happy to release exterior ones, but haven't released anything else yet.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:40 AM

450 posts, read 336,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
I'm worried that they haven't released interior renderings of Legacy Arena yet. Hope it's not underwhelming. They seemed happy to release exterior ones, but haven't released anything else yet.
Same. I'm wondering if the bidding coming way under the original project cost number ($98M vs $123M) means they've scaled back the project some.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:37 PM

had to get out this morning for some "essential business". after remembering how to drive, i decided to go past several active construction projects.

from what i can tell, most seem to be moving right ahead. i noticed construction workers at daniel parkside, foundry yards, bakers row ii and lakeview green. i couldn't tell if the commerce center had people working on it or not. also, i didn't make it down to five points to check out ascend.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
had to get out this morning for some "essential business". after remembering how to drive, i decided to go past several active construction projects.

from what i can tell, most seem to be moving right ahead. i noticed construction workers at daniel parkside, foundry yards, bakers row ii and lakeview green. i couldn't tell if the commerce center had people working on it or not. also, i didn't make it down to five points to check out ascend.
Commerce Center is still being worked on - in fact, I don't really know of any active construction jobs that have been halted due to coronavirus. They all seem to be progressing, which is nice. This is a giant qualifier and who knows what the future holds, but if the City can hold onto 90%+ of our local restaurants and bars, I feel good about continuing the momentum once we are past this. Seems like the local places have been supported well thus far.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:41 PM

Cortland Vesta’s new residents moved in on April 6—first impressions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area