U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 14,832,593 times

Advertisements

That's one of the things on LaLa's playbook that hasn't been done yet. And considering Bell has cherry picked many of his best ideas and put them in motion it shouldn't be a reasonable stretch for Alabama to build a large aquarium attraction for the state here. But it would and should have state help and backing and you know how that goes. One article suggested he wanted to put it at the zoo but that was a while back. I dont know if there is enough unutilized land there now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 AM

And from the Not so Cool Jackass News Dept...

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ext-month.html

Quote:
Alabama Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh said he plans to stall the historic renovation tax credit with no legislative action this session because he's not entirely convinced of the program's effectiveness. The bill was widely supported across the state and the bulk of Alabama's senators cosponsored the bill.

"I am not convinced the credits are advantageous to the state,"Marsh told AL.com. "I want to make sure we are creating a program that (doesn't just benefit) large corporations and big developers."

Birmingham, which has the largest collection of historic buildings in the state and is seeing a surge of developer interest, stands to lose the most with the failure to extend the program.
Which I translate this to, "This hasn't helped my constituents in my backyard enough."

Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM

2,972 posts, read 2,805,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And from the Not so Cool Jackass News Dept...

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ext-month.html

Which I translate this to, "This hasn't helped my constituents in my backyard enough."

...Which is what you would expect in our representative form of government. And really, there isn't much wrong with that line of thinking. Obviously those who are represented by people who want to see a rebirth of decayed urban areas would be in favor of extending the tax credit... but it is perfectly reasonable for people in say, the black belt, to view it as a waste of money.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM

He is from Anniston. This is a state wide program. No sane person should expect it to uniformly benefit every area across the state as a whole.

He is using his veto power as President Pro Tem to block the prpgram that has already received majority support from other lawmakers.

I expect this type of cronyism from a politician to reward him with being voted out in the next election.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 PM

More proof that this guy is on a power trip with an ax to grind against the cities that have prospered most from the HTC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...se-on-the.html

Quote:
It's a controversial decision that has struck a chord in Birmingham's development world, leaving millions worth of potential development projects hanging in the balance and real estate professionals scratching their heads.

But, as we previously reported, a study was already conducted on the impact the tax credit. That study, commissioned by the Alabama Historical Commission, concluded the state is getting a substantial bang for its buck with the credit. The study found that for every dollar of tax credit allocation the state invests in the program, $3.90 will be returned over a 20-year period. The state is expected to break even on its investment of $60 million by 2019.

That's not enough for Marsh, who said he wants an "independent study" of the tax credit and its impact.

A total of 32 of 35 senators were cosponsors of the bill. It had support of business leaders, mayors and officials around the state. That unified front is exceedingly uncommon in Alabama.

When a bill has that level of support and can't advance, that's indicative of a broken system.

One lawmaker shouldn't be allowed to squash a bill with 91 percent of support among senators. That's not democracy in action, but it is politics as usual in Alabama. And, as usual, Birmingham is paying the price.
Too much momentum and too many positive things going on in Birmingham. Time to put the brakes on...

Old 04-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Awesome. So we have the Bentley scandal killing jobs and development from the too down and
Del Marsh pulling the plug on things locally.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...s-will-be.html

Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM

Going to light 'em up in purple for my man...

Birmingham's Prince tribute: City buildings to light up in purple | AL.com

Quote:
Birmingham city buildings will light up in purple to honor superstar and musical icon Prince, who died Thursday at 57.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 PM

389 posts, read 416,342 times
Del Marsh = royal prick. Why are our politicians invariably shortsighted / self-interested / vindictive?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 PM

985 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Just stupid, perhaps?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:08 PM

It's gotta be more than just stupidity. It is arrogance, vindictiveness and jealousy at least. There are already studies showing the positive return the program has had. They put a ceiling on it and budgeted for it and it got overwhelming support to pass it.

But this one guy wants to put the brakes on just because he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area