Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,166,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
I admit to a negative attitude when it comes to the Deep South, (frankly I'm not sure what that moniker actually means, territory-wise). It had never been on my travel wishlist, though so easy to access from my home state of FL.

Total shame on me. It took dropping off a student, cat and car to UAB to disabuse myself of the idea that Birmingham wasn't worth a visit. The article didn't even mention the easy/breezy and attractive airport.

Very happy to say that I will be returning with enthusiasm and will take in all of the sights and eats and drinks that this CN article pointed out. The city and surrounding area is worth reinvestment of time, effort and money by the civic-minded locals and from new fans from afar, myself included. Totally rooting for you!!
Glad that you appreciated the article. Postings of things like that in the forum get welcome with closed arms around here.

Several other ammenties wasn't mentioned in the article that would be worth a visit. Most residents like to focus on the goodness of the area and express that about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM

666 posts, read 515,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
This is an excellent article. Pays good homage to some of the cooler places in town without sounding overly boisterous. I'm a natural devil's advocate but I think this was well done and honest.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 PM

377 posts, read 340,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Very cool article, makes me want to stop by one of my local foodie spots and swing by Vulcan. I think the Carver re-opening will be a very nice addition to the theatre district and something cool and inexpensive for visitors downtown. Nice photography as well

Old 01-31-2019, 03:39 PM

https://bhamnow.com/2019/01/31/10-re...this-february/

Gus's Famous Fried Chicken out of Memphis is finally opening in The Battery in late Feb.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:42 PM

https://bhamnow.com/2019/01/31/sidew...roundbreaking/

Groundbreaking for the Sidewalk Film Theater at the Pizitz

Will be open every day of the year..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://bhamnow.com/2019/01/31/sidew...roundbreaking/

Groundbreaking for the Sidewalk Film Theater at the Pizitz

Will be open every day of the year..
I am sooo excited about this finally happening. The people who are in charge of creating this, are actually very nice people! It will continue to created new energy in the Theater District!

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://bhamnow.com/2019/01/31/10-re...this-february/

Gus's Famous Fried Chicken out of Memphis is finally opening in The Battery in late Feb.
I don’t necessarily love Hattie B’s, so I really hope this will be a lot better!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:08 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,231,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
I am sooo excited about this finally happening. The people who are in charge of creating this, are actually very nice people! It will continue to created new energy in the Theater District!
speaking of the Theater District, that Conde Nast article from a week or so ago mentions the Carver Theatre being renovated:

“Cities across America once had beautiful movie palaces, vaudeville theaters, and opera houses,” continues Brock. “Hundreds, if not thousands, of those sites are now parking decks. I think Birmingham is unusual, because we saved not only the Alabama and the Lyric … the Carver will reopen this year, too.”

The Carver Theater for the Performing Arts and Jazz Hall of Fame—Birmingham’s only remaining black theater*—is two blocks over. It will debut in 2019 as a performance space, as well as reopen the adjoining museum for the state’s jazz history. The museum houses instruments and personal effects from the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and W. C. Handy, and operates a center for continuing education—not only in jazz, but also in civil rights.

“The Lyric and the Carver are significant,” Brock says, “because they allow for our ongoing conversation about race and history. During the old theater days, black audiences saw performances in black theaters. White audiences in white theaters. Except for the Lyric. From its opening night in 1914, it was the only one where black and white audiences saw the same show together—although they were segregated. It’s an incredible, now-living piece of American history.”

how many theaters are in walking distance of each other?

Alabama
Lyric
Carver
Rushton (McWane)
RMTC Cabaret (Kress)
Sidewalk (Pizitz - under construction)

anyone know if any other buildings in the area house still-intact theaters? apparently there were 26 at one time...

Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
There are other black theatres still extant in Alabama, although repurposed or empty. The Lincoln in Bessemer comes to mind immediately. I don't recall seeing any other theatres than those listed in the downtown B'ham area when I was searching for locations back in the mid-1980s, much less ones that might still be intact. There are others around the greater area though. The theatre that became the "Pitcher Show" in Vestavia was still there when I looked last. Cobb's Centerpoint, that I opened in 1983, is now a church.

When you see the "Alabama" sign, it was Cecil McGlohon who had the marquee modernized. Cecil worked for me in Florida at a theatre on Miami Beach in his later years. He was an impeccable gentleman who gave class to a theatre just by his presence.

https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Cecil_McGlohon

Last edited by harry chickpea; 02-01-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 05:24 PM

https://reason.org/policy-study/us-m...freedom-index/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area