Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 11:46 PM

302 posts, read 335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Which blogs mentioned Birmingham in the same Tech sentence as Atlanta or that Birmingham is a "top city" for black tech entrepreneurs?

Has there been a black tech entrepreneur in Birmingham of notoriety?

Also, it stands to reason that Atlanta is number one for that because of its demographics so that's no surprise.

I do think that Bham could carve out an awesome niche for the black or women tech scene. Is there a website or publication dedicated to following and promoting Birmingham's existing and growing black tech scene?

For what it's worth, I don't see Birmingham mentioned in this article talking about southern hotspots for black entrereneurs but they do mention Memphis, Montgomery, and ATL. Maybe BHM is doing the right things to catch up to Montgomery and Memphis.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40513613...-entrepreneurs
Shegun Otulana, Ashlee Ammons & Kerry Schrader, and Wayne Anderson come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You said plenty; you just don't realize it.
I know exactly what I said in response to your noncontributing word salad of nonsense and invalidity called posts in this subforum. Hence why I am done and nothing else to discuss with you. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,166,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Shegun Otulana, Ashlee Ammons & Kerry Schrader, and Wayne Anderson come to mind.
Exactly and many more. Sometimes the right thing to do is not respond to someone, especially to those who have an agenda toward a certain place, as in the case of the person you replied to.

You can best believe they are not open minded when it comes to birmingham. Just keep it moving...

Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 AM

666 posts, read 515,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
1. Does 4 people indicate an industry?

2. Isn't Ashlee Ammons the girl who wore the shirt that says "Black Female Fund Me" ?? Come on.

3. Shegun Otulana - dudes the real deal and has made an industry impact and will continue

4. Wayne Anderson - Really? His company employs 2-10 people and it's in San Fran.

I wouldn't say this constitutes a "scene" but maybe it can be blossom.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Exactly and many more. Sometimes the right thing to do is not respond to someone, especially to those who have an agenda toward a certain place, as in the case of the person you replied to.

You can best believe they are not open minded when it comes to birmingham. Just keep it moving...
I agree hence the non-response. Anytime some looks for something to be huge when nothing starts that well publicized is when I know what type of nonsense is being propagated by individuals. I knew what was going to be said by whom prior to my post, but I posted it anyways. Sometimes you have to provide knowledge to the masses regardless of the nonsense of a very small minority.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:13 AM

666 posts, read 515,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I agree hence the non-response. Anytime some looks for something to be huge when nothing starts that well publicized is when I know what type of nonsense is being propagated by individuals. I knew what was going to be said by whom prior to my post, but I posted it anyways. Sometimes you have to provide knowledge to the masses regardless of the nonsense of a very small minority.
I agree. That's why I posted my last two posts. Here is the scene you described:

1. Does 4 people indicate an industry?

2. Isn't Ashlee Ammons the girl who wore the shirt that says "Black Female Fund Me" ?? Come on.

3. Shegun Otulana - dudes the real deal and has made an industry impact and will continue

4. Wayne Anderson - Really? His company employs 2-10 people and it's in San Fran.

I wouldn't say this constitutes a "scene" but maybe it can be blossom.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
For what it's worth, I don't see Birmingham mentioned in this article talking about southern hotspots for black entrereneurs but they do mention Memphis, Montgomery, and ATL. Maybe BHM is doing the right things to catch up to Montgomery and Memphis.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40513613...-entrepreneurs
Montgomery? They have bumped their heads. In no way, shape or form is Montgomery a better place for black people to do business than Birmingham.

Atlanta is far and away #1 here. Memphis is #2. Birmingham is #3.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,166,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Majority of the times, these people don't even resides in birmingham. As there defense, " I use to live there, so I kinda know ". Acting like when you left, the city is still like that. People and places changes all the time. You can't be that small minded to think that. Also, just because you don't know or have never seen it or heard of it, don't mean it's not present. If you didn't leave the city before you make a comment here, then your point is irrelevant.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Montgomery? They have bumped their heads. In no way, shape or form is Montgomery a better place for black people to do business than Birmingham.

Atlanta is far and away #1 here. Memphis is #2. Birmingham is #3.

I might quibble with which is better, Memphis and Birmingham, but you are right about Montgomery. Anyone who seriously offers up Montgomery as even a blip on the radar screen of tech is smoking awfully potent crack. As the joke goes, if the world is coming to an end, drive as fast as you can to Montgomery. It will happen there twenty years later.

Montgomery is facing a challenge that's almost existential in nature, by the way. If they don't clean up the act of their school system PDQ, the Air Force will be required by law to yank their air bases out of the area.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...rt/1053656002/

Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Majority of the times, these people don't even resides in birmingham.
You do realize that jero23 does not live in Birmingham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area