Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,324,449 times

Advertisements

The place is torn up putting in new flooring sand blasting railings and installing new lighting, in addition to having at least six new spaces behind walls under construction. That doesn't sound very 'GONE DOWN'; but more like a place getting ready for their thirtieth anniversary.
As to local stores; all stores start out as local. I know a few of our locals are now in Madison and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of these up there. It just seemed a strange assessment by your s.o. and maybe as strange to even post it considering the vitality of the three centers in Madison.
At any rate we like to mix local with national here; it gives a distinction of place. If you ever go to Lane Parke, you will be very disappointed because it will be about 60/40.

Since one could not possibly find an unkempt corner of the center, except perhaps Macy's who is late to remodel, I have to agree with jero that the comment seemed racially loaded, but doesn't really matter. You don't have to deal with any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,287,197 times
Idk what 3 centers in Madison you're talking about. Madison doesn't have a mall. ???

Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,468,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
You made the assumption that "gone down" meant "more non-white". I didn't say that.

I wasn't there with him b/c I was out of town, but he grew up in B'ham and has seen the life cycle of all the shopping centers in the area. So I took him at his word that in his opinion it had "gone down". Perhaps he was wrong. I think he mentioned there being more no-name, local stores now than there used to be....in addition, of course, to the usual mall stores.
I grew up in Birmingham as well and Riverchase Galleria has not gone down at all. I live in Atlanta proper now and frequent the malls here, so I can tell you what a "gone down" mall looks like. Riverchase has actually sustained and gone up in quality since then. The center has the only Von Maur location in Alabama. Sorry, but your s.o. is dead wrong about his assessment of Riverchase.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM

Madison County does not have a retail center? News to me.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I grew up in Birmingham as well and Riverchase Galleria has not gone down at all. I live in Atlanta proper now and frequent the malls here, so I can tell you what a "gone down" mall looks like. Riverchase has actually sustained and gone up in quality since then. The center has the only Von Maur location in Alabama. Sorry, but your s.o. is dead wrong about his assessment of Riverchase.
Wouldn't be the first time he's been wrong!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Madison County does not have a mall? News to me.
Of course. But when you talk about a county, you usually say XYZ County. Just saying Madison (without adding county) sounds like you're talking about the city of Madison. Madison doesn't have a mall, which is too bad.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Madison is much bigger than Huntsville or the city of Madison; so it just seems more efficient.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:05 PM

So do you say "Jefferson" when talking about the B'ham area? That's certainly more efficient than saying B'ham, Leeds, Vestavia, Homewood, Mtn Brook, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area