Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Roger that, and maybe just maybe it will start dominoes falling leading to a (more) unified Jefferson Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 03:32 PM

904 posts, read 830,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Roger that, and maybe just maybe it will start dominoes falling leading to a (more) unified Jefferson Co.
I can think of eight right now that absolutely shouldn't exist. I am not suggesting that Birmingham annex them all, but Fairfield should definitely be taken in.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Excellent. So the goal has been moved from basically that 'It won't do anything but drag Birmingham down with more poverty, crime and blight' to.. 'Well it won't raise it up as grabbing a place like Cahaba Heights would'

The goal has not been 'moved'. I'm just stating facts why Cahaba Heights into Vestavia happened, and why both sides generally agreed to it. Those same circumstances simply don't exist for Fairfield being annexed into Birmingham. Do you really think a Home Depot and redeveloping a dead shopping center in an area without much disposable income has Birmingham leaders (and current Birmingham residents) chomping at the bit to take on Fairfield and all of its issues?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The goal has not been 'moved'. I'm just stating facts why Cahaba Heights into Vestavia happened, and why both sides generally agreed to it. Those same circumstances simply don't exist for Fairfield being annexed into Birmingham. Do you really think a Home Depot and redeveloping a dead shopping center in an area without much disposable income has Birmingham leaders (and current Birmingham residents) chomping at the bit to take on Fairfield and all of its issues?

I already addressed all this in my last post. No one has claimed that anyone is "chomping at the bit." That's just putting words in my mouth and general strawmanning. Not going down the rabbit hole with you, so just declare victory and please move on and leave this discussion to those of us who wish to explore the prospect of Miles University in Birmingham.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
I can think of eight right now that absolutely shouldn't exist. I am not suggesting that Birmingham annex them all, but Fairfield should definitely be taken in.

Well, the adjacent area will see a boost when the Crossplex development gets off the ground. When people in that area see what is possible with a city that is on a roll and gaining momentum, I don't see why they wouldn't want to give up holding on to failing municipalities like Lipscomb, Brighton, etc.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:48 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
You can explore it all you want, but how about exploring why Birmingham would want it.

Just like you can explore building a huge sports facility in Birmingham, but you never seem to want to explore who is going to pay for it.

Funny how that works.

You haven't given any really good reasons why Birmingham would want to annex Fairfield. The reasons you have given are meh... and I don't think Birmingham really wants to take on those headaches for a Home Depot.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:22 PM

904 posts, read 830,217 times
As far as our Birmingham government is concerned, councilor Valerie Abbott is the only council member to publicly speak against the idea. She is however on record at a council meeting telling a Miles representative that she welcomes them "if they ever decide to leave that little community to our west". Our mayor hasn't really taken a position. The current council president has publicly said that he is interested in annexation. I believe his exact words were,"I would love to have Fairfield in the city of Birmingham". It doesn't take a genius to figure out which direction the council will vote if this ever becomes a serious question.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Please remember the thread topic is Miles College becoming a University - and the associated positive implications for Birmingham. Clearly, there are different opinions about the relevance of annexing Fairfield; surely, that isn't the only factor in gaining University status - or how the area would be affected?

Last edited by toosie; 10-10-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 10:28 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
We can further discuss the annexation propsects in the existing thread I created back in June 2016:

//www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...irmingham.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area