Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM

910 posts, read 835,953 times

Advertisements

North Carolina's HB2 has caused the NBA, NCAA, and ACC to move major championship games out of that state. Should the SEC Network relocate its HQ to downtown Birmingham from Charlotte? The SEC is already headquartered here, and I think it would be cool to also have the SEC Network. What do you guys think?

NCAA Pulls All Championship Events From North Carolina Over Anti-LGBT Laws | Huffington Post
NCAA Pulls All Championship Events From North Carolina Over Anti-LGBT Laws | Huffington Post

A.C.C. Pulls League Championships Out of North Carolina - NYTimes.com
A.C.C. Pulls League Championships Out of North Carolina - NYTimes.com

NBA pulls 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, focuses on New Orleans
NBA pulls 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, focuses on New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Well NC has definitely suffered a kick to the groin with all the events they have lost and I dont suppose it is over yet. But one thing is for sure, not doing something somewhere or cancelling a concert or not building a new annex doesnt really cost anything to the people (not) doing it. ESPN would have to commit to building a studio here which would. I doubt they have reached that point yet if they ever will. The cool thing though is they do have tie breaker status on close calls and challenges that go to instant replay. You'll hear Musburger or whoever mention it and the city whenever it happens.

Who knew that a state like NC that is widely considered to be so forward thinking and progressive would get hit like this. Hopefully our state's leadership will see how bad a look it is before they get any ideas.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Why would they locate the SEC Network so far outside of the footprint in the first place. I could understand Atlanta, but Charlotte never made sense to me. And yeah.....I have always thought of Charlotte as a pretty progressive city, but like us, their state makes them look bad.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:31 PM

270 posts, read 531,788 times
The scariest thing facing the state of Alabama is the inevitable proposed legislation mirroring or being even worse than the North Carolina HB2. Guaranteed that someone will propose it in March. Knowing the AL legislature it will get rammed through in 2 days.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 PM

There was similar legislation proposed in the previous session, but it never came up for vote. I think most states are staying away from that kind of thing. Too much backlash. They are really making an example out of North Carolina though.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Why would they locate the SEC Network so far outside of the footprint in the first place. I could understand Atlanta, but Charlotte never made sense to me. And yeah.....I have always thought of Charlotte as a pretty progressive city, but like us, their state makes them look bad.
Because they had that studio sitting there ready to go. The SEC network is a huge success but at the time they did not know it would be so they decided to use resources they already had instead of risking money building something new for an unproven network. But now...who knows. Bringing Finebaum "home"...building a studio inside/next to a new stadium in the Football Capital of the South in the same city where SEC is HQd. So many positive reasons. Ducking NC because of that law wouldnt even have to be brought up....right.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Charlotte really isn't all that progressive. It certainly isn't as progressive as, say, Asheville, or the Triangle. More progressive than a lot of rural North Carolina? Sure, but this is still a city that NASCAR and Billy Graham call home.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:43 AM

Well, the SEC is the only major sports conference with operations in NC that hasn't taken a stance on the issue. Will be interesting to see if they at least threaten to relocate.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Charlotte really isn't all that progressive. It certainly isn't as progressive as, say, Asheville, or the Triangle. More progressive than a lot of rural North Carolina? Sure, but this is still a city that NASCAR and Billy Graham call home.
Charlotte has been steadily catching up on its social progression in the past 5 years. It went from not having to any official LGBT festival to having 2 (a mainstream/white LGBT festival in August and black LGBT event weekend during the SIAC tournament in February). Both have been going rapidly since their creation. Also their emulation of Atlanta has generated a desire to jump into many things that most other large (central city) municipalities have not done. That law is hurting that city badly because Raleigh (although appears very progressive) is quite mute on many social progressive stances because it also being the state capital and known the socially regressive-led NC General Assembly is right there.

At the moment, Birmingham and Charlotte are neck-in-neck on the social progression front.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:13 PM

All of this bad press has to be frustrating for Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: