Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,189,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Just my opinion, but there is still a lot of crime down that way. A lot of loitering and random folks walking down the street for who knows what. I wouldn't want to keep a gun on me all the time. Downtown B'ham just isn't where I want it to be, for me to live there or the immediate vicinity. I would consider it if I was single. I don't like the idea of my wife being down there. I'm talking Avondale or anywhere in Southside.

If you are planning to spend all your 350K, I'd go Homewood. Very walkable to all the things you need. If you want cheaper, I would look into Helena, or maybe that new place out in Hoover, Preserve or something.

Where will your daughter/grand-daughter be located?

i feel plenty safe in avondale and southside, but just for sake of clarity... i don't think you can simply call those "downtown birmingham".

the actual downtown is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

also, he's wanting to move IN to town... i don't think helena or the preserve fit that criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 09:55 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,189,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
Do you realize that there has been maybe 1 murder in 3 years in Birmingham that was random? Virtually every murder is a drug deal gone bad or domestic related. Basically the same in any big city. I have walked in and around downtown and Southside for over a decade and have never carried a gun on my person nor been murdered...
i've only been murdered downtown once, but to be fair it was totally my fault.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,653,233 times
Quote:
Just my opinion, but there is still a lot of crime down that way. A lot of loitering and random folks walking down the street for who knows what. I wouldn't want to keep a gun on me all the time. Downtown B'ham just isn't where I want it to be, for me to live there or the immediate vicinity. I would consider it if I was single. I don't like the idea of my wife being down there. I'm talking Avondale or anywhere in Southside.
Ive never felt the need, desire or regret to carry a gun while working, playing or living "downtown." I dont consider Avondale or southside to be a part of that but I am assuming you are lumping everything in the city limits to be downtown as I lived in Crestwood. The statistics show the popular and trendy and nicer areas to be very safe. However if "random" folks walking around minding their own business bother you than that's a different issue that carrying a gun wont solve.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 AM

839 posts, read 810,395 times
Quote:
If you are planning to spend all your 350K, I'd go Homewood. Very walkable to all the things you need. If you want cheaper, I would look into Helena, or maybe that new place out in Hoover, Preserve or something.

Where will your daughter/grand-daughter be located?
Yeah, neighborhood/area safety will be a major deciding factor since we'll be retirees and aging. This is probably 10 years out, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the inner neighborhoods of Birmingham.

We really don't want to be far out, though, so I probably wouldn't choose Helena. We almost may as well stay out here. Hoover is certainly a possibility, though. I've always liked Cahaba Heights as well.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:19 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,394,101 times
Quote:
Just my opinion, but there is still a lot of crime down that way. A lot of loitering and random folks walking down the street for who knows what.
You must've never lived in a Urban city.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,947,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
You must've never lived in a Urban city.
This is absolutely right. That's why I prefaced it with saying it's my opinion. I think Bama Dave needs to consider all factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area