Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 09:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times

Advertisements

So, coming off the disappointment of being denied the hospital, they are wanting to build up retail around the group of car dealers on Grant's Mill Road. This article talks about Saban's new Mercedes dealer and Benchmark's new Maserati/Alfa/Fiat building (they are leaving the current location and building a new one.)

They also want to lure a big box retailer for a new center to put out there, but have no idea what it could be. What would work best for this location? What do you think they could get that wouldn't want to go out on 280 or Trussville? Irondale has no grocery store and wants more restaurants and retail to complement the huge church and dealers that are already there. Plus being between Greystone, Mountain Brook and Liberty Park should make whatever they do be appealing to upscale clients.

Maserati, Nick Saban-backed Mercedes could be catalyst for growth in Irondale | AL.com

Quote:
With the momentum spurred by Mercedes Benz and Maserati, city officials are currently drafting a plan to lure hotels, restaurants, a grocery store and other service-related businesses over the next several years.

Costco has been sniffing around the area for a while, and if they don't get in at the center planned at 280/119 or at the 459/20 intersection, this could be the place. Combined with some high end new to market restaurants and a little retail and it might be what they are looking for.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-03-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:44 PM

906 posts, read 832,075 times
I did not know that Irondale had no grocery store! Wow!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post

I know, that seems weird right? I'm guessing a grocery store based neighborhood style strip would be easy for them to accomplish. However, it sounds to me like they want something bigger. With all the attrition in big box stores lately I would think they would be looking to make a big splash with a name that we haven't seen yet around here...one that would make headlines.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,571 times
I would think that the Eastwood Walmart and of course Sam's are probably serving the Irondale population at this point. If they are not prudent in their plans they may lose the grocery to Grand River/ Leeds.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:43 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Not exactly IN Irondale, but there seems to be construction going on at the old Shell and the old K-Mart building.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 PM

They are losing At Home to Trussville. Belk consolidated into the two story store on one end of the Pinnacle and At Home will take over the other store.

At Home targets Trussville opening – The Trussville Tribune

I can't even think of the last time I have been to the Pinnacle. It has to be the most nondescript, uninspiring designs of all.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:51 AM

Sounds pretty swanky. The old owners were quite reluctant to improve and upgrade the old building which is part of the reason Mercedes played favorites with Saban and co.

Nick Saban's Irondale Mercedes dealership to start construction this month | AL.com

Quote:
Irondale's Mercedes dealership will front Grants Mill Road and overlook I-459. From the interstate, motorists will see the Mercedes Benz sign and fountain. The dealership features a glass tower where a vehicle appears to float in air. It'll also have a small Edgar's Bakery inside the shop that will have complimentary items for customers, but it will also be open to the public and sell sandwiches and pastries. The 55,000-square-foot dealership will have an open showroom.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Irondale has no grocery store and wants more restaurants and retail to complement the huge church and dealers that are already there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I know, that seems weird right? I'm guessing a grocery store based neighborhood style strip would be easy for them to accomplish. However, it sounds to me like they want something bigger. With all the attrition in big box stores lately I would think they would be looking to make a big splash with a name that we haven't seen yet around here...one that would make headlines.
Are supermarkets Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market doable for Irondale?

Old 04-17-2017, 03:34 AM

I don't see why not.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Has either Publix or Walmart Neighborhood Market been mentioned to enter the Irondale trade area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area