Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 01:15 PM

346 posts, read 265,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I don't know if the current residents want it or not. I can only go by what I see... and from what I can tell... there are probably more residents that actively oppose it than who actively want it... even if most residents don't really have a strong opinion either way.
I would also argue that in certain cases, like this, residents don't know what they want. They hear denser / more development and immediately think that means less parking for them, which isn't always true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM

450 posts, read 335,846 times
I live in Homewood and would definitely support denser development in the city, specifically around the Soho/downtown area. The hotel project over there is great in my opinion. More density/walkability should mean more cool shops/restaurants/etc which promotes a greater economic base. Then that bigger economic base allows the city to invest more in infrastructure & education.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 PM

910 posts, read 832,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Perhaps some people in Homewood are more concerned with raising their families, growing their nest eggs, saving for retirement, keeping schools from becoming overcrowded, preserving air quality, and reducing traffic than they are with having Homewood's population density rise.

I know it's hard to believe... but outside of the confines of this site there are a lot of people that go about their daily business without too much regard to census data, population growth, skylines, and land use. They simply want what they perceive to be the best for their own families.

I'm not a resident of Homewood, but if I lived in that immediate area, I can definitely understand opposing it.

Well if Homewood can't grow, then how are they going to continue paying the cost of city services, school system, road maintenance? you do realize the cost of these things are not constant, but rise over time. When a city is not growing, especially when said city is heavily dependent on taxes, how do you maintain? Also, as Birmingham's city center growth continues, you have to expect more traffic on Homewood city roads and bridges. This results in roads needing to be repaved, and all kinds of other things. Homewood won't be able to sit on its hands much longer before reality strikes.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:52 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Well if Homewood can't grow, then how are they going to continue paying the cost of city services, school system, road maintenance? you do realize the cost of these things are not constant, but rise over time. When a city is not growing, especially when said city is heavily dependent on taxes, how do you maintain? Also, as Birmingham's city center growth continues, you have to expect more traffic on Homewood city roads and bridges. This results in roads needing to be repaved, and all kinds of other things. Homewood won't be able to sit on its hands much longer before reality strikes.
Revenue grows just like the cost of city services grow.

Property values in Homewood have doubled since the bottom of the market. What do you think has happened to property tax revenue?

You can grow the tax base without growing the population. And you could, in theory, shrink the tax base while growing.

A hyperbolic example:
Say a million dollar home generates $10k in property taxes.
Now build a shack right next to it that is valued at $50k.
The value of the million dollar home is now $900k and you are generating less property tax revenue than before but you have twice the people to provide services for.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
LOL at the notion of either Mountain Brook or Homewood (or Vestavia Hills) WANTING to grow for the sake of growing. Being exclusive is exactly what keeps the property values high. High density development is the LAST thing those towns need or want. I guarantee you houses don't stay on the market long in those areas.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:13 AM

910 posts, read 832,864 times
Being landlocked is definitely going to affect them negatively eventually.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
LOL at the notion of either Mountain Brook or Homewood (or Vestavia Hills) WANTING to grow for the sake of growing. Being exclusive is exactly what keeps the property values high. High density development is the LAST thing those towns need or want. I guarantee you houses don't stay on the market long in those areas.

No kidding. Go onto Mountain Brook forums on Facebook and you'll find people begging to buy a house within the city limits. Put a house on the market in March or April and it will have a contract in a matter of hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area