Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:31 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

It is interesting. Rebekah Mason did a crappy job of running this state. Hopefully the next administration will do a better job of recruiting business to the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM

187 posts, read 214,301 times
Rebekah didn't run much of anything except her reputation in the ground. I trust everyone drew themselves a nice warm bath, poured their favorite glass of wine, and lit candles before reading the texts?

Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Hopefully Project Sunrise hasn't been lost in the reshuffling.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...secretary.html

Quote:
Alabama Secretary of Commerce Greg Canfield will continue to lead the Alabama Department of Commerce under Kay Ivey's administration.
Canfield met with Ivey on Tuesday, the first full day of her administration, and briefed Ivey on the status of several potential new projects and expansions in the works for Alabama. The Department of Commerce did not disclose which projects Ivey and Canfield discussed, citing confidentiality agreements, but Birmingham leaders have previously hinted the metro area is on the verge of landing multiple projects – including Project Sunrise, an undisclosed project expected to create more than 700 jobs and bring along a number of suppliers.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM

904 posts, read 830,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Hopefully Project Sunrise hasn't been lost in the reshuffling.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...secretary.html
Judging by this article below, our economic development leadership is predicting 2017 to be our best year in a long time. They sound very optimistic, and kinda like they know something that we don't. I think things are about to start falling into place.

Birmingham Business Alliance shares 2016 progress, outlines plans for Innovate Birmingham - Alabama NewsCenter
http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/04...te-birmingham/

Old 04-13-2017, 11:52 AM

I hope so. That Hilson guy talks a good game, but has yet to deliver. Might need to send him back to Huntsville.

Quote:
I think we made substantial progress in areas that don’t show up in the numbers for 2016,” Hilson said. “I’m talking about technology-based business growth. If you look at all of the things that we worked on during the year – and at the top of that list, of course, is Innovate Birmingham and the physical development of the Innovation District – but also the workforce development plans for Innovate Birmingham.” - See more at: http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/04....TvykpGTw.dpuf

Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 PM

904 posts, read 830,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I hope so. That Hilson guy talks a good game, but has yet to deliver. Might need to send him back to Huntsville.
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing about him. I never really trusted him with his deep Huntsville ties. We need a Birmingham business guy leading the BBA. We also need a governor from this area, or at least one that respects us. We definitely need to use our votes wisely in this year's city elections, and next year's election for governor. Will probably be the most important elections in our lifetime.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
lol... Robert Bentley was from Shelby County.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM

And lol, I'm sure growing up in Columbiana in the 40s and 50s he felt he had deep ties to Birmingham (not), even if he did get his MD from UAB.

Regardless, the guy's track record clearly shows he had did not have growing the Birmingham metro anywhere in his game plan.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing about him. I never really trusted him with his deep Huntsville ties. We need a Birmingham business guy leading the BBA. We also need a governor from this area, or at least one that respects us. We definitely need to use our votes wisely in this year's city elections, and next year's election for governor. Will probably be the most important elections in our lifetime.

The Senior VP of Economic Development, Rick Davis used to manage Cummings Research Park.

Loren Traylor, VP of Investor Relations had the same position for many years in ... guess where...

And... they just hired a woman from Mobile.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...t-manager.html

Last edited by Tourian; 04-19-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 AM

The Entertainment Industry Incentive Act of 2009 is in danger. Seems like it has mainly been a benefit for Birmingham and Mobile as it seems most films created here have utilized those metro areas the most. So it comes as no surprise that...
Quote:
The bill, filed by Rep. Phil Williams (R-Huntsville), comes after an impact study of the incentives gave the program a "D" grade and recommended its termination.
I would have hoped that perhaps the Incentive Act could be revised to earn a better grade as opposed to killing it entirely. Hopefully there will be some movement to replace it with something else if it is killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area