Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,336 times

Advertisements

I don't currently have plans to move to AL (I'm in FL) but there's something that might bring me to Vincent AL in the near future. I looked on google and it seems to be a tiny place, not much info about it. I don't really have a specific question about it, I just want to know what to expect from this place. I currently live in an area with about 20k population but I grew up in busy cities (which i don't find attractive at all) I like quiet places but I worry maybe Vincent might be too quiet even for my taste lol

Thank you for your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:50 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Drove through there. Very quiet, but probably a good long term real estate play as development goes out that way.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,325 times
What would bring you to vincent, al?? There's basically nothing there....

Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM

136 posts, read 596,075 times
You are starting to see some development in Vincent due to Hwy 280 growing in Chelsea and Westover and its close to Logan Martin Lake. I believe the land value has already risen and will continue to rise.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:49 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Questions like these are tough.

Vincent currently has a small town fieel, but the metro area to growing out toward it rapidly. Honestly, if you want a small town feel over a long period of time, you are going to need to find a small town that is quite a ways away from the Birmingham metro because it keeps growing and overcoming small towns like Chelsea - which was a small town until about five years ago. Now Chelsea is growing by leaps and bounds.

Hope this helps.

I think a lot of this depends on your job and your willingness to commute. Frankly, if you have a job in Vincent, my best bet would be to choose Columbiana and drive to Vincent. I don't think the Birmingham metro will overcome Columbiana for quite awhile.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 AM

16 posts, read 56,902 times
I currently live in Chelsea, but teach in Vincent (and lived here for over 20 years). If you're looking for a small town lifestyle, this is about right for you. Activities here revolve around your choice of church, the local schools and community sports programs, and family. Property values are still reasonable, even with the oft-touted cry of "Birmingham's moving out this way!" In truth, the 280 corridor growth will take in Westover and Harpersville, primarily...Vincent is 5 miles off the highway and is projected to be more of a "bedroom community", with the commercial growth along the highway. Land is not as easy to purchase as you might think, though, since most of it is family-owned and tied up in agriculture; there are a couple of small-scale developments here, but the larger developments are in the Chelsea-Westover area.

On the other hand, there is a place across the road from my Dad's you can buy for about $650,000 -- the out-of-towner who built the house (a nice enough guy) kind of misjudged the property values out here and over-built his place! Guess he thought he could get the same prices as Shoal Creek!

Last edited by loydm; 03-28-2008 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,214 times
I am very familiar with the area. Vincent has 2 parks, one of which is on the river. While there isn't a lot to do in Vincent itself, it is close to several other cities with
things to do. Vincent is within 10 minutes of Lorgan Martin Lake. In Vincent you are within 30 minutes of Pell City, Leeds, Chelsea, Wilsonville, Harpersville,Columbiana and Inverness to name a few. Oak Mountain State Park is only about 30 minutes away also. Talladega raceway is also within a reaasonable distance. Within this range you have theaters, restaurants, shopping and other attractions. Vincent itself is quiet & peaceful. I have lived in this area for over 30 years and did the daily commute to Birmingham for work. Highway 280 in rush hour traffic in Inverness & Birmingham is not fun but it thins out near Chelsea.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 70,802 times
Default Vincent

Sounds like you may know something that others do not. However Vincent does have a good bit of undeveloped land. They are close to 280 which gives you the peacefullness but still close enough to big city life within 30 minutes. It is close to Logan Martin which is where we are. It's nice here and just beginning to boom in the retail sense.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,909 times
I'm happy to give you my outlook on Vincent, AL. I was sort of raised in a similiar atmosphere. I was born and raised in Chicago. My parent's divorced and my dad moved to Alabama, where his family resided. I enjoyed spending long summer's in Alabama, my family is from the Pellcity area. By the time I was 21 I had alot of my closest friend's were south, so I to a chance and moved away from home. I love Pellcity, I watched it grow over the years. I got married a year ago and my husband's family is from Vincent. When I met my husband 3 years ago, I instantly took a roll of mom for our 2 boys he already had custody of since they were babies. There now 10 & 13. I've been living here for about 2 years and the only reason were still here is our son's. My husand who's been here his whole life is so ready to move but once again the kid's haven't wanted to. Well now things have changed our 13 year old is ready and would leave tomorrow if able. Our 10 year old we'll just go with the flow. To answer your question, yes it is way to small. I use to think it might be nice where "everybody knows your name", forget it! There is nothing to do, so therefore alot of people seem to be bored, so there's alot of people who know you more then you know yourself. We do have 1 redlight, 1 grocery store(I'm there atleast once a day, friendly), 1 gas station and so on. As my husband said, "You can't sugar coat it, even if you tried. After living in Chicago and dealing with horrific traffic and road rage, we would rather move up north. The kid's have even decided they would like to move to Chicago. I'm not usually this negative but as I told my husband it did me good to express how I feel and maybe save someone else the agony. The one smart move we made when we moved here was buying a mobile home. I never thought I would say this but the fact that it has wheels and we can go at any time was a plus. I hope I was able to help you out before you make a big mistake. Now don't get me wrong, as far as the state as a whole I love it. Also, Pellcity is nice. We hope to find land soon! Thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,909 times
Default Iknow all to well about vincent alabama

If you are seriously concidering moving to this place. I would just go ahead and check my self in to a mental health center & then that's not going to help you in this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a Black whole I promise just trying to save you a life of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area