U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 5,000 times

Advertisements

How likely is Birmingham to have an NBA team ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 AM

226 posts, read 164,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer205 View Post
What team is going to move to Birmingham, Alabama ? I'm not aware of any NBA expansion efforts even considering Birmingham, Alabama as a viable option....so is it 'likely" ??? well no...no one is seriously even mentioning that possibility that I am aware of. So 'likely NOT'...but maybe I could see it in the next 10-15 years perhaps.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM

1,282 posts, read 870,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer205 View Post
Nearly impossible, given demographics. HOWEVER, the market is changing and a pro franchise might take a swing if you build them an extravagant stadium (as is, WAY more than Birmingham can afford). I still do not see this happening, I think Birmingham is nearly considered part of the Atlanta market, plus Memphis has a franchise to capture the rest of the 'south'.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 14,199,092 times
Birmingham has its own discrete media market of around 1.9M people. That's larger than Jacksonville's, Buffalo's, Memphis' and New Orleans'.
Getting the league to want to expand and having a willing owner or ownership group is something else, but that has nothing to do with being near Atlanta.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...-estimates.pdf

Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Birmingham has its own discrete media market of around 1.9M people. That's larger than Jacksonville's, Buffalo's, Memphis' and New Orleans'.
Getting the league to want to expand and having a willing owner or ownership group is something else, but that has nothing to do with being near Atlanta.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...-estimates.pdf
I have a hard time believing that.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 AM

973 posts, read 953,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I have a hard time believing that.
I'm not surprised to read that you think that. I have noticed in your other posts that you often don't have an up to date picture of the BHM demographics.

That is not a bad thing. We can all learn something on this forum; just make sure it is backed up with evidence, as Tourian did.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
I'm not surprised to read that you think that. I have noticed in your other posts that you often don't have an up to date picture of the BHM demographics.

That is not a bad thing. We can all learn something on this forum; just make sure it is backed up with evidence, as Tourian did.
Evidence tells me that the Birmingham MSA is not 1.9 million people. You have bumped your head. There are multiple ways of looking at these things. Evidence will never be my problem.

To expect someone to believe that Birmingham has ANYTHING bigger than Jacksonville, Memphis or New Orleans (except beauty/mountains) is nuts. I don't know much about Buffalo so I won't include them.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Evidence tells me that the Birmingham MSA is not 1.9 million people. You have bumped your head. There are multiple ways of looking at these things. Evidence will never be my problem.
I did not say anything about the MSA. I was talking about the DMA. I also provided a recent link that shows it ranked ahead of those cities. Learn the difference. Media market size is an important factor for entities like MLS and the NBA.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I did not say anything about the MSA. I was talking about the DMA. Learn the difference.
You don't think the MSA has any bearing on the media market, or what an NBA team might be looking at if they are considering locating here? Of course it does.

You guys need a dose of reality. Want to know what I've noticed? The same guys who endlessly pump sunshine are the ones who are so very pro-BHM city only, and anti-BHM suburbs. There's something to that. Ignoring facts and just continuous pump sunshine, as if that will erase reality. I get it, there's something to be said for being positive, but it can be over the top.

That's my opinion. I'm obviously out-numbered by you guys.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You don't think the MSA has any bearing on the media market, or what an NBA team might be looking at if they are considering locating here? Of course it does.
That's got nothing to do with you misunderstanding and not knowing what you were talking about when you called me out and accused preguntas of not being of sound mind. The dma size is the dma size period, fact.

It is a fact that Bhams DMA is larger than those cities.
That means potentially more eyeballs on the TV, more people buying gear and more butts in the seats.
That is a major consideration for a sports franchise.

Now if you want to dig deeper and discuss it more like gentlemen we can but youre going to have to own up to being wrong and drop the whole holier than thou attitude about how you percieve some of us to be.

Or dont, your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or