U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 2,638,061 times
Reputation: 3547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well, that's just how it works. All those counties watch our TV, our news, our sportscasters, so they will most likely align themselves to a team that is covered by the same. If you were pushing tractors or a chain of hot dog stands you would want to know what your advertising budget would cover if you were to buy time in one of those areas, or put up billboards, or whatever.

If you were trying to promote a pro team you would also want to know who those sponsors reach and who is watching so you know who you potentially have as people sitting in your stadium and buying hats and t-shirts and what companies and businesses they frequent that might be buying skyboxes in your stadium.

And, yet all this is on the internet and just a few minutes of research is all it would take on your part, but yet you still think this is just something I made up.

Maybe it's not that you made it up, but how relevant it really is. Did you know that Auburn is in Lee County yet their football games can be heard on FM radio stations in Birmingham? It's almost like New Orleans pro sports aren't just marketed at the New Orleans DMA, but also neighboring DMAs like Baton Rouge and its 800,000 residents. If Baton Rouge eliminated their TV stations and just watched New Orleans local stations, the fundamentals of the New Orleans Saints would be (mostly) unchanged yet their "market" would have grown by almost 50%.

Like I said, we all know that if Anniston/Gadsden had 800,000 people in it and their own TV stations, the chances of Birmingham landing a pro franchise would increase... despite Birmingham having a smaller TV market.

In many ways, it's just where lines are being drawn. The lines are not completely arbitrary in the sense that data is used to figure out where those lines are drawn... but a lack of standalone TV stations in Tuscaloosa and Anniston does not make the Birmingham market more attractive to pro sports. Touting Birmingham's market size for pro sports while ignoring the Rochester market when you talk about Buffalo is just not being intellectually honest. Hardly a first for Tourian though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,206,894 times
Reputation: 10044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Oh, OK, I get it now. Well get back to me when the "feelers" that were put out come back positive and the NBA starts lining up to play here (after we've built a monstrosity of a dome that will compete worldwide). I mean, we have the metrics, right?

Oh...ooooh. Okay, because I owe YOU something now, right.

Quote:
There's a reason pro sports don't do well here. On big part of it is that most of the population (in whatever size market you want to call it) spends all their time on college sports.

I thought the Stallions did well.
http://www.usflsite.com/bham.php
Quote:
The Stallions are often cited as being one of the league's most loved and best supported teams.

I also thought the Fire and the Thunderbolts did okay too. The leagues folded before we ever really got to find out and now, Legion Field is just unsuitable for a team. If the NFL does come up with a farm league, there wouldn't be any reason for the stadium to hold more than 55k, the average NFL stadium is from 55-80k. It is just a shame that such a design would clip the top off of any Classic crowd though, but the way ESPN wants it is smaller venues with more skyboxes for corporate buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,206,894 times
Reputation: 10044
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Maybe it's not that you made it up, but how relevant it really is. Did you know that Auburn is in Lee County yet their football games can be heard on FM radio stations in Birmingham?
Which is why if Birmingham were to get a pro team in any of the 4 major "ball" sports, it would be the ONLY pro team in the state and would benefit from other markets outside of Birmingham's covering it.
Quote:
If Baton Rouge eliminated their TV stations and just watched New Orleans local stations, the fundamentals of the New Orleans Saints would be (mostly) unchanged yet their "market" would have grown by almost 50%.
Ifs and buts... NO has a pro team, this BR point is moot and uninteresting.
Quote:
Like I said, we all know that if Anniston/Gadsden had 800,000 people in it and their own TV stations, the chances of Birmingham landing a pro franchise would increase... despite Birmingham having a smaller TV market.
More ifs and buts... Nobody cares. Having a whole state to themselves would be a better plus than worrying about the relationship between BR and NO.
Quote:
Touting Birmingham's market size for pro sports while ignoring the Rochester market when you talk about Buffalo is just not being intellectually honest. Hardly a first for Tourian though.
Not ignoring any market. I just picked the ones that Birmingham is bigger than that have pro teams. Another fine strawman built by Steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 2,638,061 times
Reputation: 3547
If you find the BR point uninteresting, then can your DMA figures. Because they are completely moot without context.

If we are sticking to what "is" let's stick to the fact that Buffalo and New Orleans have multiple major pro sports teams and Birmingham has had none. It's almost like your DMA talk is so far down the list of considerations for pro sports expansion that the fact you brought it up is laughable.

There are those of us that can look at Birmingham objectively. And then there is Tourian who thought there was a high rise under construction 2 years ago on Highland Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,206,894 times
Reputation: 10044
They watch our TV, so if a game is being broadcast on a non-cable OTA, they can watch it for free. That is what matters.

Quote:
and Birmingham has had none.
The Stallions were a pro team.

All the rest of your post is just hurt feelings because I don't care about what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:03 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 2,638,061 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They watch our TV, so if a game is being broadcast on a non-cable OTA, they can watch it for free. That is what matters.


The Stallions were a pro team.

All the rest of your post is just hurt feelings because I don't care about what you have to say.
The Barons are a pro team too. So were the Bulls. LOL at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:04 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 2,638,061 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They watch our TV, so if a game is being broadcast on a non-cable OTA, they can watch it for free. That is what matters.
*IF*

Kinda like *IF* a game is being broadcast on non-cable OTA in Baton Rouge, they can watch it for free too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:08 PM
 
6,959 posts, read 3,145,095 times
Reputation: 21086
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
If you find the BR point uninteresting, then can your DMA figures. Because they are completely moot without context.

If we are sticking to what "is" let's stick to the fact that Buffalo and New Orleans have multiple major pro sports teams and Birmingham has had none. It's almost like your DMA talk is so far down the list of considerations for pro sports expansion that the fact you brought it up is laughable.

There are those of us that can look at Birmingham objectively. And then there is Tourian who thought there was a high rise under construction 2 years ago on Highland Avenue.
Objectively, oddly enough, is a relative thing in your case.

The lawsuit blocking construction has been ruled on by the Alabama Supreme court this month. Now there's a small pesky zoning issue that has to be resolved sometime in May. To Tourian's defense, I'm pretty sure Tourian couldn't have anticipated a crank property owner filing a nuisance suit against the property and dragging it through the courts for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 2,638,061 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
To Tourian's defense, I'm pretty sure Tourian couldn't have anticipated a crank property owner filing a nuisance suit against the property and dragging it through the courts for two years.
Neither could I. And I also never made a claim that it was under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM
 
15,803 posts, read 9,923,338 times
Reputation: 68448
Reminder from the City-Data Terms of Service: You must be 16 years of age or older to register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top