U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:09 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,630,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Most of you will call me "crazy", but what if they just did a legitimate study that looked into taking out that part of the interstate completely? I'm sure with proper engineering that it could be possible.
Just dump the interstate into access roads to enter I-65, etc.? This is why Birmingham needs a legitimate plan for mass public transportation options.....now, not 30 years from now. Is the city serious about being a tech hub? If so, they need to start thinking ridiculously outside of the box.
Sigh. This isn't even fun anymore. Can you list metro areas over over a million people that have a principal city less dense than Birmingham? When you see how short that list is, perhaps then you will realize why mass transit won't really work here. If downtown, southside, avondale, lakeview, and maybe woodlawn/titusville/norwood/druid hills see a population increase of 25,000+ then perhaps that small area of metropolitan area could use a bus system or light rail system. If you think people in Vestavia and Trussville are taking mass transit in the next 30 years, you are high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 02:28 PM

6,889 posts, read 3,109,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You do realize that ALDOT has already looked at the possibility of moving 20-59 and deemed it unfeasible, right? I work in that industry, don't believe the stuff in the paper and on TV. All that planning work has been paid for and completed, but I would never expect the agitators to actually read the reports or use facts, like how the Feds and environmentalists would never allow it to happen due to the relocation going through a low income area. Same folks who don't realize the downtown bridges are near collapse. Oh, and by the way, that'll be another 40 billion dollars or so to relocate.
I think you're missing some decimal points or something.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:48 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,167,106 times
Im pretty sure his 40B remark was just a bit of sarcastic exaggeration. The last quick study ALDOT did I think they estimated it at about 1.1-2B. Still too much and they dont own the right of way. Plus theres the problem of putting it through a depressed primarily black neighborhood which the feds tend to frown upon or will at least withhold federal funding which is a deal killer. You have to show real due dilligence to make something like that work and it will probably take 20-30 years to figure it all out, track down and buy out all the property owners, clean up the toxic waste, fight off what ever monster crawls out of that waste, pay the blood money the railroads will want to build over the switchyards, squash all the lawsuits and convince the legislation to do it over some other project somewhere else like the proposed I-10 bridge in Mobile or that off ramp for that strip mall in Huntsville thats going to be so awesome.

In short, not an easy task but it isnt something that will affect this project. However it would be a good idea to be doing the current rebuild while ALDOT has the whole road torn apart anyway.

http://weldbham.com/blog/2013/11/20/...2059-rebuild/#

Quote:
ALDOT has studied alternatives to its plan, including two configurations of the teardown and rerouting via Finley Boulevard — one beginning at the “Malfunction Junction” interchange just northwest of downtown, the other at Arkadelphia Road, near Birmingham-Southern College. The department also looked at the so-called “Birmingham Dig,” a proposal that would keep the interstate downtown, but bury it in a trench below ground level to allow development of green space and other uses above the highway. All of those plans were rejected due to cost — ranging from $1.1 billion to $2 billion — and the time required for construction.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-30-2017 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 PM

1,279 posts, read 862,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
40 billion dollars to relocate? lol, no.
I guess I need to use sarcasterisks around this uptight crew. It's not 40 billion. The point was, it's another HUGE undertaking, much bigger than replacing the existing bridges.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 862,910 times
Quote:
Most of you will call me "crazy", but what if they just did a legitimate study that looked into taking out that part of the interstate completely? I'm sure with proper engineering that it could be possible.
For the second time, this has been done. These studies encompass a variety of options.

Quote:
Just dump the interstate into access roads to enter I-65, etc.? This is why Birmingham needs a legitimate plan for mass public transportation options.....now, not 30 years from now. Is the city serious about being a tech hub? If so, they need to start thinking ridiculously outside of the box.
Just?

yeah OKAY

Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Domes are relics of 80s. They are terrible.
It wouldnt be an 80s style structure. It would be a modern one that could be reconfigured for practically any event. This is why many if us consider a cheap open air highschool/mid major stadium stupid because that would be very limited to football or soccer and outdoor concerts and require sunny days. It was always supposed to be a multi use facility so that it could serve as a convention hall...an expansion for the BJCC not just a "dome."

Quote:
Bro, that is crazy. You cant just dump 160k+ vehicles of interstate traffic dailey onto service roads.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Bro, that is crazy. You cant just dump 160k+ vehicles of interstate traffic dailey onto service roads.
Well, actually you can. Atlanta just dumped about 250k vehicles per day off of 85. But that doesn't make his suggestion any less asinine.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Well, actually you can.

Well we could detonate all the interstates.

I'm pretty sure Atlanta is working on restoring 85 and not looking at a permanent solution that involves using those side streets for the long run. Some of that traffic is going to find a different way and avoid the mess altogether. I do not believe a plan that involves what Justin is saying would allow the same volume of traffic to flow through there as seamlessly without a lot of it deciding to use 459 like we will have to do anyway when they bring it down.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well we could detonate all the interstates.

I'm pretty sure Atlanta is working on restoring 85 and not looking at a permanent solution that involves using those side streets for the long run. Some of that traffic is going to find a different way and avoid the mess altogether. I do not believe a plan that involves what Justin is saying would allow the same volume of traffic to flow through there as seamlessly without a lot of it deciding to use 459 like we will have to do anyway when they bring it down.
What I'm saying is that removing interstates through urban areas usually ends up NOT giving cities a traffic armageddon. See: Atlanta now, the Los Angeles 405 carmageddon that never happened, etc. etc. Time and time again evidence shows that people adapt. People end up walking, carpooling, commuting at different times, taking fewer trips, using public transit, etc. etc.

Similarly, adding lanes doesn't really help traffic nearly as much as people think. "Build it and they will come" definitely holds true when it comes to traffic.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Seeing as how both Atlanta and LA both have alternate and established forms of mass transit, I would not want to see that experiment taking place here. People will adapt and find a way yes, but we don't have the infrastructure larger metros do with public transit. More than likely the bulk of that traffic would just use 459 and would put stress on its intersection with 65 and that would become the new Malfunction Junction. On top of that this is Alabama's busiest section of road connected to its busiest interstate exchange. There's a lot of things passing through it that can't be replaced by walking or carpooling or riding a bike.

Those bridges have to be replaced and they have to be replaced by something that can handle more volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or