Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,320,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Reminder from the City-Data Terms of Service: You must be 16 years of age or older to register.

Well, that is going to eliminate a lot of posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 PM

10,486 posts, read 6,920,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Neither could I. And I also never made a claim that it was under construction.
Now you're being ridiculous. Given that a building was demolished and a lot of the engineering was underway when the lawsuit hit, it wasn't exactly a wild-eyed claim on his part.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:08 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,876,802 times
I grew up in Alabama and I'd like to see Birmingham do well, but I am not sure if a "world class" stadium makes sense for the city.

To truly be "world class" it would cost well over a billion dollars which is a lot of money to spend on a gamble when (like in all cities) there are a lot of competing needs. If the NFL did a spring or development league I could see that doing very well in Birmingham with a mid-size stadium, but I honestly don't see any way an NFL team would relocate there in the near to medium term. It isn't like Birmingham is way off, but there are several other markets both domestically and internationally that would merit consideration sooner, and unless the NFL expands significantly I don't think a team would choose it. Cities with recent relocations like San Diego and Saint Louis, other new cities like San Antonio, Portland, Austin, Salt Lake City), and the NFL has of course been seriously considering international expansion to somewhere like London or Mexico City. Obviously not all of those places would work, but with so many other contenders I just don't see a team picking Birmingham which is a smaller market with a lower growth rate.

Just my $0.02.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
The source article in the OP is part editorial and part news. Again, when the mayor addressed the NFL directly a few months ago he ruled out a team, he only spoke of the outside chance of getting a franchise in a junior/farm league that might be started. The city is not seriously considering or believing that it can build a billion dollar facility needed in the hopes that a NFL team comes to town. However, the author of the column thinks otherwise and that the current plans of a 45-55k open air or covered "dome" or multi purpose facility is not grand enough.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 PM

508 posts, read 607,791 times
Anyways.....honestly, if the city just got an NBDL, WNBA, or any other type of team.....at the end of the day, it gives the people options other than Craft Beer, etc. The city and team owners should try to bump the Barons to AAA, get Minor League Hockey, some degree of basketball (NBA, WNBA, NBDL), and even soccer. After that, call it a "day", and allow the chips to fall from there.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,859,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Anyways.....honestly, if the city just got an NBDL, WNBA, or any other type of team.....at the end of the day, it gives the people options other than Craft Beer, etc. The city and team owners should try to bump the Barons to AAA, get Minor League Hockey, some degree of basketball (NBA, WNBA, NBDL), and even soccer. After that, call it a "day", and allow the chips to fall from there.
100% agree with this. Especially with bumping the Barons to AAA and playing against our "peer" cities like Louisville, New Orleans, Nashville, etc

Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,942,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
100% agree with this. Especially with bumping the Barons to AAA and playing against our "peer" cities like Louisville, New Orleans, Nashville, etc
Man, I'm not here to argue. I'm just pointing things out. But until we realize what we are and what we aren't, no progress can be made. You can say we're a peer city with Louisville, but New Orleans and/or Nashville is a joke.

Let's face what we are in 2017, and make peace with it. Then, start thinking about what we can do to BECOME a New Orleans or Nashville.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:44 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
I don't care much about peers or tiers because there are examples of larger and smaller cities in both AA and AAA, neither is flush solid with cities of a particular C/D certified 100% agreed upon tier.

It is going to come down to market share and competition. NO has two major pro teams, Nashville has two and Louisville has none. Those other teams compete for revenue in their markets. Birmingham has proven that the right venue in the right location does wonders. The Barons move out of an okay stadium in the back of a subdivision to downtown proves that because they have led attendance figures for the league since they moved. I don't get why moving up to AAA will necessarily improve that or make it better, because they seem to be doing okay...I wouldn't be against it but I would rather see time and energy put somewhere else in direction where the city has no presence yet...as in another sport entirely.

Regarding post season college football:

Average attendance of the Birmingham Bowl is just over 40k, and that includes the years when there was no SEC team involved.

Average attendance of the Magic City Classic is over 60k. So I really don't want to see a structure that holds too much less than 55k built. Making it covered will allow it to be used for other conventions while the BJCC is being used. It is much better for the city if they can have monster trucks, rasslin', a gun show, and a Celtic Woman concert all going on at the same time. Alternate that with a Wilder fight and an tennis or high school championship every now and then and the city will reap the benefits even if there is no MAJOR major top tier certified thread approved pro franchise.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-28-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Man, I'm not here to argue. I'm just pointing things out. But until we realize what we are and what we aren't, no progress can be made. You can say we're a peer city with Louisville, but New Orleans and/or Nashville is a joke.

Let's face what we are in 2017, and make peace with it. Then, start thinking about what we can do to BECOME a New Orleans or Nashville.
I'm not either. I'm just saying that an major bump in attendance and more $$$ could potentially be made with a move up to AAA (one step down from the majors) playing teams like Nashville, N.O, Buffalo, Louisville, yes cities that are more in Birmingham's league than Montgomery, Huntsville, Pensacola, Jackson, TN ,etc.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't care much about peers or tiers because there are examples of larger and smaller cities in both AA and AAA, neither is flush solid with cities of a particular C/D certified 100% agreed upon tier.

It is going to come down to market share and competition. NO has two major pro teams, Nashville has two and Louisville has none. Those other teams compete for revenue in their markets. Birmingham has proven that the right venue in the right location does wonders. The Barons move out of an okay stadium in the back of a subdivision to downtown proves that because they have led attendance figures for the league since they moved. I don't get why moving up to AAA will necessarily improve that or make it better.
Simply put I would be more motivated to see players who are one step from playing in the big show, against teams from cities who are around the same size as this one.

Would more people come out to see the Barons play Nashville or Pensacola?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area