Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 PM

941 posts, read 761,409 times

Advertisements

My only contribution is a viewpoint on the hospitals.

I've been to several hospitals in B'ham and I've been to Huntsville Hospital several times due to parents living near there. B'ham hospitals win hands down. Huntsville Hospital is a disgrace to everything else in Huntsville in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:51 PM

10,495 posts, read 6,945,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
There's no rival except the one created by Bham people when it comes to growth. Having spent a lot of time in both, I don't really see Huntsville peeps caring that much. Many of its residents go to Nashville to do their shopping or other entertainment anyway. Huntsville is the closest city to taking away Birmingham's crown as the largest in AL.

Huntsville does not feel like a big city at all and the ONLY three areas it trumps Bham is this:
Huntsville wins the landscape award with more mountains and closer to the smokeys.
Huntsville wins climate IMO because they're almost guaranteed snow
No traffic... That's not really a plus, because there's no where to go. Traffic means someone wants to be there for some reason which is cool.

Birmingham definitely has more character in its areas and restaurants and offers a more diverse job market.

There would be a rivalry IF, the two cities had teams that were rivals. Or if they competed in the same corporate space which they don't. Hville is government jobs. Bham is a mix of a lot of things.

I look at Huntsville as a decent large suburb with a nice downtown but it's not very downtown feeling. Sure it's easy to drive around, but so is Gadsden.
Then it's non-existent. Trust me. I never hear any Birminghamsters comparing us to Huntsville, either positively or negatively.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,949,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Then it's non-existent. Trust me. I never hear any Birminghamsters comparing us to Huntsville, either positively or negatively.
Agreed, but like I said, it's big brother little brother. Most folks in Birmingham know there really is no competition as to which metro area is better, so they just kind of laugh. Huntsville folk constantly yap about anything and everything, from concerts to jobs to airport traffic, how they are going to be the biggest city if they keep growing (dumbest stat ever), etc. The constant yapping does get on Birmingham folks' nerves after awhile, and it's so ludicrous that you just have to call out the nonsense.

Huntsville's a great place, I probably like it better than Birmingham (one man's opinion, many do not agree with me). But in general, Huntsville needs to be comparing itself with Chattanooga, TN, Macon, GA, Greenville, SC, and other similar sized METRO areas. Because metro areas count.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 PM

508 posts, read 609,531 times
The whole metro thing, I agree. It's like saying Memphis is a larger city than Atlanta.....actual numbers? Yes. Metro? Absolutely not.

In regards to my post, and many of my others, I post certain things from my personal experience, the topics I bring up are what a lot of people here (in California) and other places ask in regards to the state.

Alot of people, particularly within Entertainment actually really enjoy Alabama, particularly Birmingham. From the food, to the city being "underrated", to Mountain Brook being "stuck up", I hear it all. The main people that seem to hate Birmingham are the actual locals.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:36 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,773,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
...Huntsville needs to be comparing itself with Chattanooga, TN, Macon, GA, Greenville, SC, and other similar sized METRO areas...
I really don't sense any rivalry between Huntsville and Birmingham, except for what I read in this forum. While I live in Huntsville, I'd rather dine in Birmingham. Birmingham's downtown has really boomed the last five years and qualifies as a "destination". Huntsville just has way too many strip malls and chain restaurants.

Now, I'd put Greenville, SC head-and-shoulders above Huntsville and Birmingham.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:15 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,734,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Now, I'd put Greenville, SC head-and-shoulders above Huntsville and Birmingham.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think Birmingham and Greenville have comparable downtowns, but I much prefer the rest of the Birmingham metro area to Greenville's. Greenville's metro area seems very disjointed and far apart from each other.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,773,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think Birmingham and Greenville have comparable downtowns, but I much prefer the rest of the Birmingham metro area to Greenville's. Greenville's metro area seems very disjointed and far apart from each other.
We go to Greenville quite often, and the metro shopping areas are very close to downtown. The only "disjointed" area might be heading west from downtown. I also like the fact that you can walk to all areas of Greenville's downtown.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,326,105 times
I don't think Birmingham's downtown is anything like Greenville's downtown. Birmingham has a huge street grid, more tall buildings, interstate running through downtown, large university in downtown, etc.

Pretty sure Birmingham has more chain restaurants and stores than Huntsville given its bigger.

I'm not sure how a person in Birmingham can decide for everybody that Birmingham is better. I don't see any advantage to living in Birmingham compared to Huntsville.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM

10,495 posts, read 6,945,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think Birmingham's downtown is anything like Greenville's downtown. Birmingham has a huge street grid, more tall buildings, interstate running through downtown, large university in downtown, etc.
Great. Dependably, here comes Mr. Greenville Chamber Of Commerce.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,326,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Great. Dependably, here comes Mr. Greenville Chamber Of Commerce.
Why does it bother you if I discuss Greenville in response to another person? I didn't bring up Greenville, and I wasn't trying to sell Greenville. Why didn't you say that to the person who introduced Greenville to the thread. He was touting Greenville.

So expressing my view that Birmingham and Greenville's downtown don't seem similar is trying to sell Greenville.

I'm also not sure how my comment is 'dependably'. I have rarely posted on Birmingham forum, and I posted my comparison of Huntsville and Birmingham yesterday without mentioning Greenville. I don't understand why you think that I want you or anybody else to like Greenville.

Is there something that I said regarding Birmingham in comparison to Greenville that isn't true? It is a chamber of commerce sales pitch to point out Birmingham has more tall buildings downtown, a large university downtown, etc and Greenville doesn't?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-18-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area