Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,725 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have LOVED reading all the entries on the Birmingham site! I was born and raised here, moved away, and now I'm back...with my husband, baby, and baby-to-be! I got a lot of ribbing for moving back here. (WHY do you want to move to BIRMINGHAM?!?!) Well, my husband thinks that this is the Promised Land--warm weather, good food, friendly people, low cost of living, and jobs!

We found an apartment. Not unpacked, but moved in. Unfortunately, we haven't found a job. For now, just for my husband. (As I mentioned, I'm pregnant, so I'm most likely off the job market for a while.) We've exhausted online searches, as far as we can tell. We scour the paper every Sunday. We're out of options. He's applied to some things, but doesn't quite have the exact qualifications, although he IS well-qualified for many, many jobs. MY POINT (YES! I have one!): can anyone give us info on other job searching for the area? Even good temp jobs that would allow him to search would be great!

Thanks in advance! And I can't wait to read more on here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
kc, most jobs simply aren't in the newspaper. So much is done by word-of-mouth.
Now, don't stop applying for the jobs in the newspaper, but do put the word out among any friends and family. Go to church and meet some folks...good for your soul, your psyche and that word of mouth!
If there's a particular company he wants to work for, he should go and apply and interview even if they don't have anything open right now. If he interviews, they get to know him a little. And somebody could quit any day.
And just keep on applying. Don't forget to write thank-you notes for interviews, and check back on your application status and to let the company know you're interested in the job.
Good luck to you!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Check out joblink.alabama.gov.. for jobs too.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:25 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Southlander has it right. I'll add that taking a part-time job can help as well. Southlander probably already knows that I'll mention movie theatres need people who can work weekends and evenings, times that allow for job searches during weekdays.

Remember to check online sources like Craigslist and Monster for job listings. Temp agencies sometimes have assignments that turn into full-time jobs.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:47 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
First of all - what does he do? Can you give us not necessarily a resume but something to go by?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,725 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you! We've definitely put out the word of mouth, have some people looking into other things. We've looked through papers and websites, and we're now running through town looking for "hiring" signs. I guess I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing we were missing! Thank you!

He has a philosophy bachelor's, and he has some master's work in sociology and related fields. He knows a bit about computers...but overall, he learns very quickly, and he has done a lot of "odds and ends" jobs. He has a couple of part-time jobs right now, but one doesn't pay until a month later, and it doesn't guarantee hours (sub teaching). The other is a nights and weekends job. So it seems that we're doing everything we should and can!!!

Thank you again so much!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Well, take it from a fellow liberal arts graduate - there aren't too many firms out there looking for philosophies! He might want to look into some further vocational-type training, or even a second bachelor's degree, to help him refine his marketable skills. Birmingham has several different very good colleges, everything from hands-on Virginia College to doctor of jurisprudence (lawyer!). I know you need to have some income NOW, but it's something to think about for the future. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,214 times
Hi - make sure to check out [url=http://www.myscoop.us]MyScoop[/url] -it is the area's only stylish sophisticated publication and will keep you posted on everything from style to posh pads to travel. My Scoop is based in Birmingham and covers the entire region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area