Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:15 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,470,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People living in Birmingham may be inching closer to enjoying a Bloody Mary or mimosa with their Sunday morning brunch.

Right now, law prevents alcohol sales before noon on Sundays, but a city councilor is hoping that can be bumped up to 10 a.m.

The so-called Brunch Bill was passed during the last legislative session. It was later signed by Governor Kay Ivey.

That bill allows city and county governments to establish a referendum to change the time of alcohol sales on Sundays.

That would allow brunch-goers to indulge in that mimosa or Bloody Mary at 10 a.m. instead of having to wait until noon.

Councilor Hunter Williams says his office receives several calls about the Brunch Bill.
Birmingham city councilor pushes for early Sunday alcohol sales

I say go for it. It equates to more restaurants for those that may not go to church and/or those whom have an early church service that lets out prior to noon and goes to brunch. Considering Birmingham is now ranked as a major culinary city for nationally then why not go for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM

10,497 posts, read 6,959,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Birmingham city councilor pushes for early Sunday alcohol sales

I say go for it. It equates to more restaurants for those that may not go to church and/or those whom have an early church service that lets out prior to noon and goes to brunch. Considering Birmingham is now ranked as a major culinary city for nationally then why not go for this?
We go to 8:30 services. After Sunday school wraps up at 11:00, I want a Bloody Mary, dammit. To heck with what the fundies think.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,788,444 times
Just head up here to Huntsville/Madison where it's 10AM.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 975,244 times
More progressive than Atlanta!

Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,397,759 times
I sleep until 12/1 on sundays so it wouldn’t affect me.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:05 AM

57 posts, read 64,224 times
It's primitive to still have these kind of Blue Laws, others may think it's pretty stupid and hypocritical.

What possible difference whether another individual wants to drink alcohol at 9am on Sunday or 12am on Sunday (or any other day of the week)? This keeps the perception of any city or town as being a hick, small, backwater town.

The fact that a Sunday is a Christian "holy day" (Sabbath) shouldn't affect an individual's choice to have a glass of wine or champagne at a "time certain" or a time block. Think about this. What idiot concludes that drinking at 10a or 12 noon makes a difference to another person? If you don't want to drink on Sunday (or any other day of the week) then don't drink- simple, fair reasoning! but what's up with precluding another person's choice to have a beer available in a restaurant on a Sunday?

It's unbelievable to me that any modern city in 2018 would have such backward, repressive ordinances, particularly in a pluralistic society.

Furthermore, everybody in any city is not "Christian" (imagine that)...thereby observing Sunday as a "Sabbath" (which is clearly important to some). For instance, Sunday is not *my Sabbath* - - I'm a JEW and I could care less if someone wants to order and drink a mimosa at 10a on Sunday or any other day of the week! I dare say that most, if not all of my family here in Mountain Brook (Miami and NY) could care less (they're Jews too). Additionally, Jesus himself was a Jew and also drank wine even on the Sabbath - this observance has continued throughout religious history in offering "Communion".

Let's step into the 21st century. Restriction of alcohol sales doesn't make a resident "righteous" or a good citizen, or a good neighbor or an intelligent person- it might make you look foolish and hypocritical in 2018.

My Opinion

Last edited by -parallon-; 02-03-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,583,298 times
Just an FYI, blue laws are in lots of non-bible belt states. My first exposure to them was traveling to Massachusetts. They're totally still around in Northeastern states.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 AM

50,106 posts, read 46,707,873 times
We never even heard of this until family moved to Texas, we were like What?

They said they all traveled to the next county and bought loads at a time. That just didn't make any sense to miss out on that sales tax.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM

941 posts, read 762,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I sleep until 12/1 on sundays so it wouldn’t affect me.
I make my own Bloody Mary's so it's any time of day all week. And I do a much better job too.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:15 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,470,697 times
Bill allows Birmingham alcohol sales on Sunday mornings | AL.com

The early alcohol sales bill passes through the Alabama Legislature and will be sent on to Gov. Ivey's desk to be signed into law. The bill amends the existing statute for the Birmingham City Council just pass a local ordinance giving restaurants the right to doing earlier alcohol sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area