Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:06 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times

Advertisements

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...in_downto.html

Quote:
A historic bridge that connects downtown Birmingham to Southside will be replaced soon.

The 21st Street (Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard) viaduct between 1st Avenue North and 1st Avenue South and over the Norfolk Southern and CSX Railroad is at the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced, according to the Birmingham Department of Planning, Engineering and Permits.

The bridge, also called the Rainbow Viaduct, is currently load restricted and signed "No Trucks," according to the department.
It's about time this bridge was replaced. This 100-year old bridge is nearly unusable. Also I heard there will be a series of public engagement meetings to be head collaboration with the placemaking project under the new I-20/59 bridges in Downtown. These meetings will occur either in June and/or July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:09 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Is this going to be an entire replacement or just a patchwork of a job? If it is a complete remake, I hope that it could have some pretty striking aesthetics with lights or some overhead attention. I understand that there may not be a budget for too much exciting.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Is this going to be an entire replacement or just a patchwork of a job? If it is a complete remake, I hope that it could have some pretty striking aesthetics with lights or some overhead attention. I understand that there may not be a budget for too much exciting.
It's going to be complete replacement with the replacement bridge being designed similarly to the historic designated structure. The current facility is designated with the National Historic Register, so it will have to meet the criteria to maintain its designation.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 AM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It's going to be complete replacement with the replacement bridge being designed similarly to the historic designated structure. The current facility is designated with the National Historic Register, so it will have to meet the criteria to maintain its designation.
Thanks. Hopefully, it can have something similar to the Alexandre III (in Paris) treatment, at night...soft lighting for a classy feel.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:08 PM

508 posts, read 616,097 times
Quote:
https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...in_downto.html

It's about time this bridge was replaced. This 100-year old bridge is nearly unusable. Also I heard there will be a series of public engagement meetings to be head collaboration with the placemaking project under the new I-20/59 bridges in Downtown. These meetings will occur either in June and/or July.
What exactly do you mean by "place making project"? What all does that entail?

Old 05-14-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
What exactly do you mean by "place making project"? What all does that entail?
The place making project will be doing a concept and design of how to connect the portion of Downtown south of I-20/59 to the portion north of the I-20/59 replacement bridges.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:40 PM

377 posts, read 340,574 times
Quote:
The place making project will be doing a concept and design of how to connect the portion of Downtown south of I-20/59 to the portion north of the I-20/59 replacement bridges.
Sounds interesting. I have always heard complaints about the northern part of the city center (BJCC, Uptown, Fountain Heights, Norwood) being sort of cut off from the rest of downtown. It does feel a bit apart so this could be a fresh approach.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:15 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...ace-under.html

Quote:
Three sessions – 10 a.m. to noon, noon to 2 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. – will be held on July 17 at the Boutwell Municipal Auditorium.

Three more sessions – during those same times – will be held on July 24 at the Birmingham CrossPlex – Bill Harris Arena.

The meetings have been announced in ads through some print media outlets, according to ALDOT East Central Region Public Information Officer Linda Crockett. Those ads state the meetings will consist of a brief presentation, followed by an open house/informal discussion with representatives from ALDOT, the city of Birmingham and the design consultants.
Here are the meetings scheduled for public input on the future of the spaces below the new I-20/59 bridges.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:58 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Well, as long as they don't rename it the Rainbow Bridge, we'll be good. Don't want five zillion pet owners bringing their cats and dogs there to be euthanized.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/tho...ges/1293292407

Nearly 4,000 people have signed an online petition pushing for this proposed skate park under the proposed I-20/59 replacement bridges.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/413/...lic-skatepark/

Quote:
ALDOT will host three (3) public open house sessions – 10 a.m. to noon, noon to 2 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. – will be held on July 17 at the Boutwell Auditorium in Downtown Birmingham.

Three (3) more public open house sessions – 10 a.m. to noon, noon to 2 p.m, and 5 to 7 p.m. – will be held on July 24 at the Birmingham CrossPlex – Bill Harris Arena in Five Points West Ensley.
This is huge because residents are ushering for a major change and evolution of the open space and park options within the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: