Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

Im a golf fan and considering relocating from DFW to several options including Mountain Brook et all of Birmingham. I am retired as well and watch a lot of golf on Tv. The Ladies open believe in Shoal Creek is getting pounded with heavy rain and risks delaying the event as its not forecast to end soon.'

This brought to mind a question about flooding in Birmingham area. What are the areas prone to flood if any? Also what resources would you direct me to be certain any area I am looking is not likely to flood? I know Realtors are going to guide me when looking on the ground but as I view options and info from online sources this would be helpful to me.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Birmingham is pretty hilly, but there are areas that will flood during unusually rainy periods. Mountain Brook is typically not one of those places EXCEPT for Shades Creek that runs along Mountain Brook Parkway and through the Mountain Brook Club's golf course. The area in Mountain Brook Village also used to be prone to flooding, but recent renewal projects in the area have diminished that. In Mountain Brook, homes are almost all situated above the flood plain.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM

27 posts, read 27,664 times
Specifically what area? The area Shelby County you are referencing is around 95% out of the flood plain - as is the areas extending northwest into Meadowbrook, Mt Brook, Vestavia, and Homewood. The only real flood prone areas in the "Over The Mountain" region are ones near the Cahaba River or Lake Purdy. See link attached, the areas in blue and orange are in the flood area - you can probably gauge a reference from this link to a map to get a closer look

https://imgur.com/a/AfLRV1O

Old 05-30-2018, 12:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
I don't remember the last time I heard anything about flooding unless it was a stopped up inlet or gutter or something like that, which usually causes only minor flooding on a road.

Seems like if it does happen, it's usually in the City of Birmingham, Midfield or Fairfield. I'm only going off memory here.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I don't remember the last time I heard anything about flooding unless it was a stopped up inlet or gutter or something like that, which usually causes only minor flooding on a road.

Seems like if it does happen, it's usually in the City of Birmingham, Midfield or Fairfield. I'm only going off memory here.

Thank you both for the update. I saw a picture this momring in Shoal Creek and the water was moving fast and looked very high near one of the greens. Of course they pick the worst setting to sell news but it reminded me to ask.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
When heavy amounts of rain fall on a consistant basis, anywhere can be flooded for that particular time period. A normal shower here and there, nothing really floods out. When a tropical depression or hurricane comes up from the gulf, then its a greater risk for flooding because of the rain falling heavy in a short time period, then add in numerous days in a row, it somewhat happens on a rare occasion

Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM

I agree, which when I lived in Houston for an extended period in a place that had never flooded, I knew it could from such event as you cited. I know they are rare but that much rain cant be handled by flood control systems. I think the defense to it in an area like Birmingham is to live on top of up a hill where mother nature provides run off to keep the water level from rising too high and staying as it can in this type event.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:51 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree, which when I lived in Houston for an extended period in a place that had never flooded, I knew it could from such event as you cited. I know they are rare but that much rain cant be handled by flood control systems. I think the defense to it in an area like Birmingham is to live on top of up a hill where mother nature provides run off to keep the water level from rising too high and staying as it can in this type event.
Yeah. But Houston is kind of flat while Birmingham is much hillier. It's almost impossible to not live on a hillside here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area